What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn Gone (Official Thread on His Departure)

Thanks for acknowledging half of the joke. Usually I think I'm just having conversations with Skiddy and Junction around here.

Is 181 posts before chubby clown rape a record?

Someone resigned. How is this a 3-ring circus? You know, hyperbole is worse than Hitler :lol:

Absolutely. I think the tents were raised at the Barnett firing and have been in Boulder ever since..

In debt to who, the University? How does firing an AD with 3 years left on his contract help our debt position unless we've got big money promised in exchange for Bohn's ouster.

It's all about the money. If you assume the AD's revenue(i.e. football revenue, with Conference pay-outs) just covers its costs then over the last 15 years the CU AD has accumulated the following debt:

So called Sex Scandal. $2,850,000
Gary Barnett Buy-Out $3,000,000
Dan Hawkins Buy Out $2,600,000
Big 12 Buyout $6,860,000
2011 No Conference Money $10,000,000

That's $25,000,000 right there. Throw in Embree's buy out, EB's buy-out and now Bohn's buy-out we could be at $30 million in the hole. CU also didn't get a full share of PAC-12 money in 2012 and the CU AD is still paying for the Luxury boxes and CEC Practice facility.

The University gave the AD a big chunk of the Big 12 ransom and has loaned the AD millions to cover the rest. Every decision the AD makes, extending Hawkins, hiring Embree on the cheap, no additional sports, no IPF construction, etc was/is a result of this big deficit.

The CU AD will pour the upcoming PAC-12 money into the University's general fund until the debt is gone. Until then there will be no facilities upgrades unless donors come through.

Bohn got axed because A) He asked Benson for more dough or B) Big Donors wanted him gone.

Thanks for acknowledging half of the joke. Usually I think I'm just having conversations with Skiddy and Junction around here.

You say this as if it's a bad thing.....

Also, on a slightly more topical note (and speaking of the smell of elephant ****)...
[tweet]339501165375021056[/tweet]

Well.. can't say I saw this coming.

Level of care is low either way. Didn't hate Bohn, didn't love him.

Buffscoop must be partying like it's 1999.

Personality conflict with Benson?

In other words, once Benson decided to pay attention to CU athletics & involve himself in AD fundraising, Bohn lasted 6 months.

Well.. can't say I saw this coming.

Level of care is low either way. Didn't hate Bohn, didn't love him.

Buffscoop must be partying like it's 1999.

dont think they new about it until the email from CU - I was checkign all of the boards like crazy today when Tatonka dropped the rumor on us.

Personality conflict with Benson?

In other words, once Benson decided to pay attention to CU athletics & involve himself in AD fundraising, Bohn lasted 6 months.

This is my read. I think athletics has moved to the top of Benson's priority list and they are suddenly realizing how far behind things are there. This could easily be read as an offshoot from the decision to modernize the fundraising organization.

It's all about the money. If you assume the AD's revenue(i.e. football revenue, with Conference pay-outs) just covers its costs then over the last 15 years the CU AD has accumulated the following debt:

Big 12 Buyout $6,860,000

That's $25,000,000 right there. Throw in Embree's buy out, EB's buy-out and now Bohn's buy-out we could be at $30 million in the hole. CU also didn't get a full share of PAC-12 money in 2012 and the CU AD is still paying for the Luxury boxes and CEC Practice facility.

The University gave the AD a big chunk of the Big 12 ransom and has loaned the AD millions to cover the rest. Every decision the AD makes, extending Hawkins, hiring Embree on the cheap, no additional sports, no IPF construction, etc was/is a result of this big deficit.

The CU AD will pour the upcoming PAC-12 money into the University's general fund until the debt is gone. Until then there will be no facilities upgrades unless donors come through.

Bohn got axed because A) He asked Benson for more dough or B) Big Donors wanted him gone.

Right I understand what created the deficit, but my question was about who is actually carrying the debt. The AD doesn't take out bank loans to pay coaching buyouts or fund operations when we had revenue shortfall from changing conferences, so in short the answer to my question is: The University.

The University needs to step to the plate here and take some responsibility for this mess. The move to the Pac 12 was billed as a huge benefit to the entire University, not just the AD. Benson signed that agreement, so the school should absorb some of the cost IMO. Same with all these buyouts-if the Administration is truly behind athletics and wants to run successful programs, they need to pay for it an not burden the AD with huge debts, particularly for the conference move and these buyouts that the Admin supposedly endorsed at the time.

Plenty of other schools get "loans" from the University every year, CU shouldn't be any different.

$22 million is a reasonable amount for an annual AD debt at schools that take their athletics seriously.

That amount of total debt is nothing... especially considering the cash cow the AD generally is for CU by funding all those scholarships at full tuition costs.

Big 12 Buyout $6,860,000

I'm pretty sure the buyout of Hawkins and Embree were taken care of by the donors. Not getting PAC $ hurts, but I thought the PAC was giving us some type of advance on future funds to help cover the shortfall. With the Big 12 payout to leave, I thought the university was all for this move and they were going to uses funds to help reduce the burden on the AD.

dont think they new about it until the email from CU - I was checkign all of the boards like crazy today when Tatonka dropped the rumor on us.

nm, apparently nikkkkkkkkkkk isn't pleased with how CU fired him. Those poor guys will never be happy.

Personally, I don't buy the personailty conflict line. You don't eat three years of a contract with a Dept. that has taken multiple financial hits unless you are moneyed up like $C or Bama.

You say this as if it's a bad thing.....

Also, on a slightly more topical note (and speaking of the smell of elephant ****)...
[tweet]339501165375021056[/tweet]

If this is true ... I want Benson gone NOW!!!

I am not real proud to be a Buff today. Mike did a helluva job for CU under some very difficult circumstances. And while I have always dismissed the concerns of Tad leaving anytime soon ... now I believe it's a very real possibility. He and Mike obviously had a very good relationship ... but if this is how CU rewards loyalty and achievement, if I'm Tad I say go **** yourselves.

1. 30-65 FB record
2. Stalled facilities upgrade announcements
3. Stalled donations
4. Drop in FB revenue (ticket sales)
5. Three buyouts for two failed FB HC and one sputtering HC
6. One claim of racism

vs.

1. Epic mens bball rejuvenation via Tad
2. Pac-12 switch
3. More conference revenue (starting this year)
4. Apparent hiring of a good FB HC in MM

= Fired

Re: Bohn Gone

$30M in the hole for cleaning up a PR nightmare, the buy-outs of sub-par coaching and conference reallignment; that is a lot if cheddar that would have a lot more value had it been plowed into facilities.

Some professionals in college athletics find fabulous wealth by winning. Others strike it rich mailing in a mediocre product in Boulder for a few years.

Clearly, somehow, the fans are to blame for this outrageous fiasco. This is all the fans fault. ;)

$30M in the hole for cleaning up a PR nightmare, the buy-outs of sub-par coaching and conference reallignment; that is a lot if cheddar that would have a lot more value had it been plowed into facilities.

Separate issues. The PR disaster would not have been prevented with better facilities. Dan Hawkins and Jon Embree would not have been better coaches if we had better facilities. This is a terrible s**t storm and hopefully we've gone through the worst of it.

1. 30-65 FB record
2. Stalled facilities upgrade announcements
3. Stalled donations
4. Drop in FB revenue (ticket sales)
5. Three buyouts for two failed FB HC and one sputtering HC
6. One claim of racism

vs.

1. Epic mens bball rejuvenation via Tad
2. Pac-12 switch
3. More conference revenue (starting this year)
4. Apparent hiring of a good FB HC in MM

= Fired

Then they should have never let number four of the Pro list happen, and fired him with Embree. Then let the new AD find the new FB coach.

Re: Bohn Gone

Separate issues. The PR disaster would not have been prevented with better facilities. Dan Hawkins and Jon Embree would not have been better coaches if we had better facilities. This is a terrible s**t storm and hopefully we've gone through the worst of it.

Its all water under the bridge.
But, damn. Using 20/20 hindsight,keeping Barnett around would have ultimately been cheaper and the product wouldn't have been any worse.

The AD debt is a red herring. In most years under Bohn the athletic department has broken even or even turned a small profit, all while paying for all the non-revenue producing sports and using a BS accounting system that bills the AD for university "services" that are not used and paying full out of state tuition on all athletic scholarships, even those of in-state athletes. Not even counting the donations generated for non-athletic use as a result of athetics the school makes money off the AD. Contrast this to the great majority of schools in the NCAA. Just up the road CSU and Wyoming subsidize athletics in the area of $14-15 million each year out of student fees and school funds.

Bohn has had his issues and football hasn't won but for the situation he was put in he has done a good job. I'm betting that it won't be long until some other school gladly hires him. If he was fired due to some major money booster or boosters we had better see some real progress on facilities fast or this is going to be another major screw up at CU.

Bohn was a good hire coming out of the Tharp years, but he hit his ceiling at CU a couple years ago and I actually think it's good news that we're moving in a new direction (despite my fear about what direction this Administration may lead us). The timing is a head scratcher though.

My initial reaction was that this isn't good. I've been pretty much behind MB even though he has completely messed up the football program. He built a pretty solid foundation, given the **** show that he inherited.

However, then I started thinking about the new facilities. We were promised big news over a year ago and nothing came of it. Ringo's recent article was dead on. Where is the information? Where is the plan? Don't give me the silent phase bull****. These guys have been "planning" upgrades for years, yet there isn't any sort of source of information on the progress.

Bohn Gone

Bohn was a good hire coming out of the Tharp years, but he hit his ceiling at CU a couple years ago and I actually think it's good news that we're moving in a new direction (despite my fear about what direction this Administration may lead us). The timing is a head scratcher though.

This.

If this is true ... I want Benson gone NOW!!!

I am not real proud to be a Buff today. Mike did a helluva job for CU under some very difficult circumstances. And while I have always dismissed the concerns of Tad leaving anytime soon ... now I believe it's a very real possibility. He and Mike obviously had a very good relationship ... but if this is how CU rewards loyalty and achievement, if I'm Tad I say go **** yourselves.
:rofl: :rofl:
Never go full retard man. Never go full retard.
Not going full retard, I want to win. I'm sick of going 3-9 or 2-10 every year for the last almost decade. I'm sick of being the laughingstock of college football. I'm sick of being seen as nothing more than a doormat by our Pac 12 peers.

Can we give competence a try before we decide we have to cheat? I'm eager to see HCMM's results from being a pro, having a proven plan, and out working others. Winning the right way would be as good as it gets for fans.

Back