What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bohn has a favorite in mind and it´s current College HC

OK, thanks. How about dropping names of people who are on the list? I'll rep ya and be really appreciative. :)

I asked for some names and was denied...but when I threw out some names, I threw out Mahlzan and Deruyter, the source didn't flinch. That's al I got unfortunately.

Lombardi also tweeted this:
"interviews begin tomorrow...naming a coach in 10 days...two candidates coaching this weekend...2.5 mill/year"

...so, Malzahn? Arky State is playing this week. Maybe Hazell at Kent? I know cubuffs11 said Doeren is a no-go, but I really like him.

If there's any truth to Lombardi's tweet, here's a list of 2 of the possible candidates:

HCs:
Strong, Louisville - nope, SEC gig more likely
Doeren, NIU
Hazell, Kent State
Gundy, Okie State - nope
Briles, Baylor - highly unlikely
Malzahn, Ark St
B. Jones, Cincy

OC/DCs:
Noel Mazzone, UCLA
Pep Hamilton, Stanford
Derek Mason, Stanford
Monken, Okie St
Smart, Bama

I'd argue Doeren and Malzahn may be those two candidates if we are focused on a current HC only. If coordinators then any of the west coast guys could be possible...

Bellotti didn't seem to be overly interested in talking about the CU job on the experts show today. He talked about how he didn't think the support was what was needed to win.

I hope he's hiding the ball here... Bellotti is absolutely my preference for next HC.

If interviews start Wednesday. Who is calling in sick and camping out in front of Bohns office posting info? and we want pics! so post em

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8681946

ESPiN has an article about the major college football job openings. Not great things to say about CU... Monken from Okie state is a new name to me that was mentioned. Successful OC.

How good is the job?
Did you hear the comments Monday from Colorado AD Mike Bohn? While indicting himself -- or those higher up -- for canning a second-year coach, Bohn bemoaned a lack of funding and resources. In talking with a couple of former Buffs recently, this echoes their thoughts. Without some kind of change in a league with spiking administrative support, there isn't a good deal of hope.

Only worry to me is how does Malzahn get into California? Can't build this trainwreck program solely from TX, LA and Arky castoffs.
Another worry is Malzahn has NEVER coached in an environment like CU where the program is unnecessarily shackled by made up academic requirements that other schools (i.e. Arkansas State, AUBURN) don't have to deal with.

Completely agree that the offense would work in P12.

:lol:

I read today that Bohn has requested a meeting with USU's Gary Anderson. It was on the mobile version of DC site but now I can't find it on their full site. He may be the favourite?

That's why I couldn't find it on the DC site. I checked DC and DP on way to work and thought I had read it on DC.

The first time I heard of him on AB and researched him I was luke warm only because he has never been at a team better than Utah (and there he was a DC). And of course Utah is almost as bad as we are now and previously were not in a major conference.

But when you see what he did at Utah and the teams he beat as DC and what he did to turn around USU and the teams they have either beat or played well with a team full of 2nd tier Utah recruits, you can see why Bohn would be interested. If he could bring in an inventive OC w/ spread tendencies of some sort and ideally some staff with Pac 12 recruiting experience (or keep a few of our assistants?) than he could be a winner for us.

While Anderson was the DC at Utah, they beat:

Texas A&M 41-21
Arizona 23-6
North Carolina 46-16
Pii 35-7

Arizona 27-24
Georgia Tech 38-10

TCU 20-7

UCLA 44-6
TCU 27-20

Michigan 25-23
Oregon State 31-28
TCU 13-10
Alabama 31-17

Since he became the head coach at Utah State, he has beaten:

Utah 27-20

Some nice wins there. He would be someone I'd consider. I don't know if I'd put him at the top of my list, and I certainly wouldn't break the bank to get him.

While Anderson was the DC at Utah, they beat:

Texas A&M 41-21
Arizona 23-6
North Carolina 46-16
Pii 35-7

Arizona 27-24
Georgia Tech 38-10

TCU 20-7

UCLA 44-6
TCU 27-20

Michigan 25-23
Oregon State 31-28
TCU 13-10
Alabama 31-17

Utah 27-20

Some nice wins there. He would be someone I'd consider. I don't know if I'd put him at the top of my list, and I certainly wouldn't break the bank to get him.

Sounds like a great coach. Hope we get him. Good luck teaching our defense to tackle. Maybe we have an undiscovered Waterboy who can lead us back to prominence?

[video=youtube;dIMOUoG94JY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIMOUoG94JY[/video]

Utah 27-20

I get your point about few impressive victories at Utah State. But they don't play that many great teams and when they do they usually play them close. Considering

1.) they hadn't been to a bowl in a decade before he got there and he took them there in year 2
2.) Utah is not known as a mecca for football talent yet he is able to somehow scrape together good teams with players rejected by bigger teams and conferences
3.) That Utah State was 10-2 this year and their only 2 losses were at Wisconsin by 2 points! and BYU by 3 points

I think he is a winner. I like that he is a Defensive guru-in the Pac 12 we could use that as long as he brings in a high scoring OC

I think I'd be happy with this one.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Anderson. I just hope he's not the #1 target. I don't think he's the kind of hire that is going to generate tremendous interest in CU football.

He hasn't faced great competition at Utah State, so he would have to step up his game if he moved into the Pac-12.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Anderson. I just hope he's not the #1 target. I don't think he's the kind of hire that is going to generate tremendous interest in CU football.

He hasn't faced great competition at Utah State, so he would have to step up his game if he moved into the Pac-12.

Whether he was #1 or not, we'll never know. Les Miles, Belotti, Tressel, etc may have all been bigger wants, but given our current state, I doubt any big name coach is willing to build CU from ground 0. Those guys want to walk into a situation with great talent already in place. We Buff fans tend to think that because CU used to be great, some big name coach will want the challenge and swoop in and save us. While an Andersen or DeRuyter may be our best options because they are looking for an opportunity to run a BCS program. Personally, Andersen is my favorite for CU after seeing our likely options. His personality reminds me of Tad's. He's a winner.

If that didn't just make sense to anyone... Maybe this will help...

CU is this kid:
images

And big name coaches are Wendy Peffercorn:
images

I'm not in love with it but with the list of prospective coaches, I doubt I will be enamored unless it's a splash hire. Is Andersen's success a sign of his coaching prowess or in direct correlation to the WAC losing any credible challenge from quality teams as they all left for the MWC hence the rise of Utah St, San Jose St. and LA Tech all in the same year? I have my questions.

Back