What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bubble Watch - Saturday 3/12

VT just beat Duke 64-60...and Baylor is up double-digits on TAMU with about a minute left...

It just means that we have to get an upset in the big 12 tourney. We need to win out and then beat a top 4 team in the big 12 tournament.

Several people (rugged, Nik) can vouch that I said I had a real good feeling about the game today... before the game. :lol:

You did.

I was nervous. I thought Tristan Thompson was going to dominate us on the inside. I can't believe he only had 1 blocked shot. Amazing job by Boyle's offense spreading them out and moving the ball. Some of the easy layups and open jumpers we got off of back cuts and kickouts were beautiful to see. I love that style of offense.

Overall this was a pretty good day in terms of other bubble teams losing.

The Corn took a loss in OT at ISU **Warning: Buffs take notice** CSew got knocked out of consideration after a blowout loss to AFA, now just hope they win a few more games to keep this as a decent win for the Buffs. Alabama suffered a major loss to Ole Miss. Yes Bama is 11-3 in the SEC, but the SEC West is a JOKE, and the Tide have losses to the likes of Iowa and St. Peter's. Tennessee lost to a terrible Mississippi State squad.

Joe Lunardi currently has CU in his "Last Four Out" category, and has Baylor (who beat A&M tonight) in his "Last Four In". I don't understand the whole Baylor thing - they've gotten swept by Texas Tech, lost to Iowa State by 15, have lost to Oklahoma (like CU), and their only remotely quality wins comes in the form of A&M (twice). However, perhaps the most mystifying thing is that Lunardi has Michigan in the tournament now. Michigan was literally not even in the conversation as a bubble team before today, and all they did was beat an NIT bound Minnesota team. Puzzling. It's all interesting speculation, but Selection Sunday is two weeks from now. Finishing the regular season 20-11 (9-7) would put CU in very good shape.

Anyone thinking of supporting the Buffs in KC? Would be nice for the Buffs to have some support at a B12 tourney for once

Lunardi and Gottlieb disagree on the Buffs. Gott seems to think that CU has a much better resume than VTech, and that if the Buffs win the next 2, they're in, period. Lunardi says he's not buying yet, rpi, blah, blah, blah.

By next Sat, one of the two will be right. Maybe we can set up a cage match betwixt the 2 mouths.

I have to say I disagree with those who believe CU still needs another big upset in the Big12 tourney. With a loss in one of these next two games, absolutely. However, the combination of the expanded field and a weak year overall with bubble teams doing more losing than winning means CU would lock it up by finishing 20-11 (9-7) and then beating a TT or OU in KC. A 21 win CU team that finished 9-7 would not be denied. i know it has happened in the past, but this is a strong Big12 in a weak year overall. Our resume isn't as weak as some believe - 5-6 against the rpi top 50 is a tourney-caliber mark and far superior to what Baylor, VT or Michigan can boast of.

What people may not realize, however, is the dogfight we're going to in for in Ames on Wednesday. Hopefully the senior leadership on this team can get that across

Lunardi and Gottlieb disagree on the Buffs. Gott seems to think that CU has a much better resume than VTech, and that if the Buffs win the next 2, they're in, period. Lunardi says he's not buying yet, rpi, blah, blah, blah .

This is a fun situation for me to be in with my Hokie friends (native Virginian). Here are the facts: CU is 5-6 against RPI top 50, VT is 2-5. Virginia Tech's best win is obviously Duke, but after that the only tournament-bound team they've defeated is Florida State. They've also been swept by UVA, who is in major rebuilding mode at the moment. In terms of common opponents, Va Tech beat Okie Light 56-51 and lost to KSU 73-57. Va Tech also faces two other bubble teams (BC, Clemson) in their final two games - in other words, its likely they will lose again, especially @ Clemson. Tech may be better off in the "bad losses" category, but CU certainly has the "better wins".

"Bracketology" has us in last 4th left out

That's appropriate. We need to win the next two games. Being a team that's won 5 out of 6 sounds so much better than being called a team that's lost it's last 7 of 12 (as we are right now).

Win and this takes care of itself.

agreed we need to finish the season strong and it starts with a win at Iowa State.

csu...well I guess that's what I get for making really bold statements that border (or just flatly cross the line) on being idiotic. MWC gets three teams in and Big 12 gets at least five...

So, yeah, like you all said, CU did a great job taking control of their destiny again. They have a great shot at making the field - win two very winnable games and win a good game in the tournament. They just need to take of their business. The only team I'm worried about is Baylor...I hate Drew...talk about Martin being sketch...the only reason NCAA hasn't come down on Drew's horrible recruiting practices is the feel-good story of Baylor's resurgence.

I think VaTech is definitely in now. I'm not a huge VaTech fan by any means, but I'm happy for them. They have been a very competitive team for the past handful of seasons, but they have just missed the boat the last three (or is it two?) seasons with the tourney. Congrats to Greenburg and his squad, because they had to win this game...and they won the game. I didn't watch all of it, but it wasn't like Duke played like ****.

csu...well I guess that's what I get for making really bold statements that border (or just flatly cross the line) on being idiotic. MWC gets three teams in and Big 12 gets at least five...

So, yeah, like you all said, CU did a great job taking control of their destiny again. They have a great shot at making the field - win two very winnable games and win a good game in the tournament. They just need to take of their business. The only team I'm worried about is Baylor...I hate Drew...talk about Martin being sketch...the only reason NCAA hasn't come down on Drew's horrible recruiting practices is the feel-good story of Baylor's resurgence.

I think VaTech is definitely in now. I'm not a huge VaTech fan by any means, but I'm happy for them. They have been a very competitive team for the past handful of seasons, but they have just missed the boat the last three (or is it two?) seasons with the tourney. Congrats to Greenburg and his squad, because they had to win this game...and they won the game. I didn't watch all of it, but it wasn't like Duke played like ****.

do you think their 1-3 record versus the top 25 is that impressive or 1-2 versus 26 to 50? Marquette looks like a better pick for the tourney as does Minnesota. I just don't seeing Vtech as having a very impressive resume.

VT's RPI is still better than ours but we have a better SOS than them, which may seem odd but it's because the Big 12 is stronger than the ACC this year. Two key things to look at are what CVille mentioned, which is that we have 3 more wins than VT against the RPI top 50, plus VT has 2 much tougher games left than we do. VT might beat BC at home but they're most likely going to lose at Clemson.

So while VT may have the slight edge over us right now, chances are good that we'll have the edge over them 1 week from today.

do you think their 1-3 record versus the top 25 is that impressive or 1-2 versus 26 to 50? Marquette looks like a better pick for the tourney as does Minnesota. I just don't seeing Vtech as having a very impressive resume.

Minnesota is not getting in unless they win their last 2 and make some serious noise in the Big 10 tournament. VT and Marquette both have a pretty good lead over them for an at-large spot in the tourney.

Minnesota is not getting in unless they win their last 2 and make some serious noise in the Big 10 tournament. VT and Marquette both have a pretty good lead over them for an at-large spot in the tourney.

I would agree, their Big 10 record is absolutely killing them, but they played a tough schedule and beat some top teams.

I didn't think I'd be saying this, but Michigan State is in real trouble. Purdue destroyed them 67-47 at Michigan State today. 16-12 (8-8) and 4-7 over their last 11 games. They should take care of Iowa in their next game and then they play at Michigan. Loser of the UM/MSU game is out of the tourney, imo.

I didn't think I'd be saying this, but Michigan State is in real trouble. Purdue destroyed them 67-47 at Michigan State today. 16-12 (8-8) and 4-7 over their last 11 games. They should take care of Iowa in their next game and then they play at Michigan. Loser of the UM/MSU game is out of the tourney, imo.

Damm, that's a bad home loss even if it is to a top-10 team. Their high SOS will get them a long look from the committee but the problem is they didn't win any of those tough non-conference games against Duke, UConn, Cuse, or Texas.

UNC is taking care of Maryland so far. Up 15 with about 6:30 to play. We don't want Maryland to come back in this one.

Any chance one of our last two games gets classified as an ESPN Bracket Buster and gets nationally televised?

Any chance one of our last two games gets classified as an ESPN Bracket Buster and gets nationally televised?

Our game with Nebraska could be pretty big. I just checked ESPN, though, and there's very little chance we get much attention. Duke @ North Carolina tips off an hour ahead of our game on CBS. Texas @ Baylor tips off at the same time as us on ESPN.

I really hope VT doesnt make it in again this year. For some reason hearing Greenburg complain about how he got left out every year has been a highlight of Selection Sunday.

I really hope VT doesnt make it in again this year. For some reason hearing Greenburg complain about how he got left out every year has been a highlight of Selection Sunday.

if they did better against the top 25, it wouldn't be a problem.

Just saw that Boston College's best player, and one of the leading scorers in the ACC is Reggie Jackson, a kid from Colorado who Bzdelik didint even offer a scholarship too. Its not like he was some "under the radar" prospect either.

DP
has a new article up about our RPI. CU jumps to 77. CSU remained at 47. How the hell does that happen??

Not such a bad thing if CSU and OSU are both in the top 50 come selection Sunday. We just need to take care of our business.

Back