What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs @ Bears (MBB)

I saw that on tv. Those jackasses had a good time while they hung their teammates out to dry

Yes ... **** 'em. As I said in another post, kick them off the team and send a message to the rest that anything less than 100% effort will no longer be tolerated.

Tad has a culture problem.

X was a team leader 2 years ago. How did that go?

I'd prefer to send a message.

Since he was a freshman, X has always been more interested in what girls were buying him drinks on the Rio rooftop then how he would play in the game the next day.

With all due respect ... it's more than a "very bad look" ... it's ****ing inexcusable. If these two guys are still on the roster come Monday ... I'm done with CU MBB for the season. I'm ****ing serious. Tad ... either send a message to your team, or don't. But I will have officially lost all respect for you as a coach if you don't expel these two assholes from the team.
I'm sure there at least two times the camera focused on XJ & Wes in the 2nd half when they were smiling & having a great time. Seems to me the only appropriate expression would be very sober and serious. To be fair, the camera also panned over them cheering on a couple of big Buff baskets.

I have a distinct memory of XJ laughing / smiling in a very inappropriate situation a year or two ago, although I can't remember the details.

Well, so much for XJ coming back this year to showcase his talent and make a pro league. Boot him or bench him for the remainder. Same with Wes although he never had such delusions. Good riddance. The program will be better for it.

Derrick White deserved much better than what these 2 "team-mates" gave all season. I think he's got borderline NBA talent and a tourney appearance would give him more exposure. Sad.

Give the minutes to Siewert and King at the 4. Let's see if Lukas even belongs at this level. Tory has to go it alone at the 5. Fortune will have to slide to the 3. For as much flak as they have taken they at least show some heart and desire which is in sharp contrast to the 2 silly goofs at the end of the bench.

Maybe even take the shirt off Walton if his knee is sound. Let's see what he's got. Apologies to D White but let's start prepping for next season.

Why did Tad have them on the bench anyway? They should have been back at the hotel with an equipment person babysitting, or in the lockerroom. They weren't part of the team and it insulted the other players to have them there.

The fact the could laugh during the game is, to me, a strong sign they don't respect Tad or their roles as scholarship athletes

good play by the reserves

Derrick White deserved much better than what these 2 "team-mates" gave all season. I think he's got borderline NBA talent and a tourney appearance would give him more exposure. Sad.

White is probably showing up on some NBA scout radars, now projected by at least one mock-draft web site as a late second round selection by the Celtics this year:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

The best thing for the team is for XJ and Wes to have learned their lessons and finish out the year strong.
You are again taking the road less traveled in AB land Of course your take is best for finishing out this year (at least for W-L and postseason chances), and of course this is exactly where Tad will go with this situation as well. Whether XJ and Wes will learn anything is uncertain, however.

It's not coincidence that once XJ became an upper-classmen and supposed leader, the team has disappointed. And Wes just seems to follow whatever XJ does. I was so disappointed with how the both of them handled the benching in the Oregon St game. Neither showed any desire once they made an appearance on the court. Sure, they both played well against Oregon, but that lack of any effort in the previous game is very difficult to ignore.
It's no coincidence that CU exceeded expectations last season, when XJ was redshirting. I suspect they'll exceed expectations next season when XJ is gone. They'd also exceed expectations down the stretch this year if Tad completely moved on from XJ and Wes now.

Why did Tad have them on the bench anyway? They should have been back at the hotel with an equipment person babysitting, or in the lockerroom. They weren't part of the team and it insulted the other players to have them there.

The fact the could laugh during the game is, to me, a strong sign they don't respect Tad or their roles as scholarship athletes

good play by the reserves
How do you know the other players were insulted by them being there? Do you know something?

How do you know the other players were insulted by them being there? Do you know something?
I don't know if any individuals were insulted, but leaving them on the bench was demeaning and insulting to the others in my view. Being on the team bench is a reward for the efforts you've put out. That should have been taken away as part of the penalty.
Again, their laughter, at least to me, shows little to no respect for Tad. maybe if he'd put them on a plane home before the game..

The posts about kicking them off the team are ridiculous and reactionary to tbe extreme. Bench them... Fine. One team rules infraction and their gone? Stupid.

FWIW, these two players are the cancers for different reasons, but Im still saying you cant just kick them off the team.

The problem is that isn't just one infraction. XJ and Wes have been pulling this **** ever since they became upperclassmen. Honestly sounds like whatever they did is more than just missing shoot around. Tad said after the game it may be more than a 1 game suspension.

Afterward head coach Tad Boyle described the situation as a violation of team rules. He also indicated the benching might not be simply a one-game situation.
"They violated a team rule, so we handled it and they didn't play," Boyle said. "It's a situation where two really good kids made a bad decision. We had to address it, so we did."
When asked if the punishment would end after Sunday's loss, Boyle added, "We don't know yet."

So, my competitive DBT wants to be pissed at Tad for sitting Wes and XJ and probably costing us the game. My conscientious DBT says it was the right thing to do and the blame is on the players for being selfish.

I agree with this. Look, I've been coaching for a number of years and have even spent a few years as assistant coach on a JUCO team. Something like this is "usually" because of breaking a curfew, being late for the team bus, or being late to a team meeting or meal. If it were something more severe I have to believe that neither would have been with the team for the game itself.

While coaches often state that their teams have to play smarter and limit bad mistakes and decisions, the same goes for the HC. I'm a big Tad Boyle fan, but something tells me that this was nothing more than one of the above mentioned scenarios. Obviously pet-peeves to Tad Boyle. If this is true and Tad Boyle got fumed and made a knee-jerk pissed-off decision to sit them both during one of the two biggest games down the stretch, then I don't know if I do agree with that. The Buffs did well with their back-ups but could have won had XJ and Wes played. I think sometimes it's ok, minus a MAJOR rule violation, to simply deal with the discipline at another time. Sometimes it's okay to maintain the HOT run, and the confidence building taking place both with your team and your fan-base. It would've been nice for CU to get the win yesterday and suddenly turn to this week with two big-big crowds to support you while your playing home games vs Wash and Wash St, to help fuel this RUN that they could potentially be on. Now you've lost to Cal and have created some circling speculation as to what this is all about with the two players. The fans will likely stay away and you could be on thin ice when it comes to losing the built confidence, and your team, and finishing the season with a thud.

I don't know all of the facts here. I don't pretend to be a person who knows all about what I'm talking about. This is simply a gut feeling. Perhaps this was something very serious. But if this was just something minor that could maybe sort of be overlooked, technically, then I would have to say Tad didn't make a smart decision and instead reacted on hasty angry feelings.

I agree with this. Look, I've been coaching for a number of years and have even spent a few years as assistant coach on a JUCO team. Something like this is "usually" because of breaking a curfew, being late for the team bus, or being late to a team meeting or meal. If it were something more severe I have to believe that neither would have been with the team for the game itself.

While coaches often state that their teams have to play smarter and limit bad mistakes and decisions, the same goes for the HC. I'm a big Tad Boyle fan, but something tells me that this was nothing more than one of the above mentioned scenarios. Obviously pet-peeves to Tad Boyle. If this is true and Tad Boyle got fumed and made a knee-jerk pissed-off decision to sit them both during one of the two biggest games down the stretch, then I don't know if I do agree with that. The Buffs did well with their back-ups but could have won had XJ and Wes played. I think sometimes it's ok, minus a MAJOR rule violation, to simply deal with the discipline at another time. Sometimes it's okay to maintain the HOT run, and the confidence building taking place both with your team and your fan-base. It would've been nice for CU to get the win yesterday and suddenly turn to this week with two big-big crowds to support you while your playing home games vs Wash and Wash St, to help fuel this RUN that they could potentially be on. Now you've lost to Cal and have created some circling speculation as to what this is all about with the two players. The fans will likely stay away and you could be on thin ice when it comes to losing the built confidence, and your team, and finishing the season with a thud.

I don't know all of the facts here. I don't pretend to be a person who knows all about what I'm talking about. This is simply a gut feeling. Perhaps this was something very serious. But if this was just something minor that could maybe sort of be overlooked, technically, then I would have to say Tad didn't make a smart decision and instead reacted on hasty angry feelings.

But how many of these 'minor' indiscretions should XJ and Wes be allowed? And what kind of example does it set for the rest of the team? XJ has had many immature events during his 5 years on the team. It's time for him to move on yesterday. And Wes not even bothering to put forth one ounce of effort in the Oregon State game should have given him a spot on the bench for awhile. Who is to say CU wouldn't have gotten steamrolled by Cal with XJ and Wes yesterday?

Boy. I remember last year when everyone, pretty much, was bummed because they were sure XJ was not going to come back for his senior year. Then everyone was stoked when he did. Now everyone wants him kicked to the curb. Fans are a fickle bunch.

You are again taking the road less traveled in AB land Of course your take is best for finishing out this year (at least for W-L and postseason chances), and of course this is exactly where Tad will go with this situation as well. Whether XJ and Wes will learn anything is uncertain, however.

This isn't their first or second year in the program. If they haven't gotten it by now I'm not holding out a lot of hope that this event will change them. May be time to move on.

Boy. I remember last year when everyone, pretty much, was bummed because they were sure XJ was not going to come back for his senior year. Then everyone was stoked when he did. Now everyone wants him kicked to the curb. Fans are a fickle bunch.

I will say I was never stoked for XJ coming back this season. His lack of maturity 2 seasons ago told me all I needed to know.

I will say I was never stoked for XJ coming back this season. His lack of maturity 2 seasons ago told me all I needed to know.

His talent is undeniable, neither is his failure to live up to it. Same can be said for Wes.

wow...there is some serious bitterness in this thread over some kids being immature kids in their early 20s. Yes, we all expect more from them, but ... ...get over it. Stating that they need to be kicked off the team immediately, etc. is ridiculous. Unless you know the exact nature of their trespasses, then let's not denigrate them so much. Say what they did if you're going to post about how terrible they are. I hope that all of you that are so angry towards XJ and Wes are consistent in your vitriol towards football players, and also wanted Gordon, Falo, Tupou, Samson, etc kicked off the team immediately, never to return. And please don't give me the reason that XJ and Wes are senior leaders and are expected to be more mature. Again, unless you know the transgression, you can't tell me that a non-criminal activity is as bad.

These are kids - they were wrong and disciplined. Rally behind them when they return.

I understand that this season is disappointing for all of us, but disappointing seasons happen to everyone. And honestly, it's not COMPLETELY out of left field that we're struggling - Scott was a huge piece of last year's team. XJ has had a fine career on the court for CU. Many 4 star players aren't able to have his career, and it's not like he was even a high 4*. After his freshman season, I remember more than a few posters were talking about XJ potentially leaving...I rolled my eyes then, and roll my eyes now at the acridity I see in some of these comments. Yeah, be disappointed, but crucify the kids for something we don't know the details of.

I'm not going to hammer kids for making a mistake, as that has never been my style. I do, however, see the value in holding players to a certain level of responsibility both on and off the court. I'm going to assume that what they did isn't criminal, meaning that it was probably something to do with curfew, tardiness, drinking in the hotel, or something else that's foolish but ultimately harmless in a societal sense. Thing is...that's five years in a row that these two players have faced discipline issues that stem from something very simple: maturity.

Does this make them bad kids? No, of course not. But it does show that they have not, on a consistent basis, valued their role and responsibility as a scholarship athlete. Is that a two game suspension? Three game? Rest of the year? I don't know. I completely understand those who are ready to "move on" from these two because of this constant indifference shown by both XJ and Wes. I also understand those wanting to rally behind them and continuing to support their journey as Buffs. Personally, like it or not, there's a level of "give a ****" you're expected to show when you turn 22 or 23, specifically when it comes to something like playing major D1 basketball. They have, too often, shown that they don't care to take that seriously enough. I think a two game suspension is appropriate.

But how many of these 'minor' indiscretions should XJ and Wes be allowed? And what kind of example does it set for the rest of the team? XJ has had many immature events during his 5 years on the team. It's time for him to move on yesterday. And Wes not even bothering to put forth one ounce of effort in the Oregon State game should have given him a spot on the bench for awhile. Who is to say CU wouldn't have gotten steamrolled by Cal with XJ and Wes yesterday?

I never did state that CU would have won had they both played yesterday. But boy with the way things turned out, and with the woes that Cal had in the 2nd half, it sure would have nice to find out. Look all I'm saying is that "I hope" that Tad did not react too hastily to a situation that maybe (given the roll this team is potentially on) could have been overlooked, or perhaps dealt with in a different way. We'll never know what the situation is/was. But how big might that have been had they maybe won yesterday and come home to play this week in front of crowds and a program growing with anticipation and excitement for something special. Certainly some of that has been dampened now, given the loss yesterday plus the looming speculation of just what these two actually did.

Furthermore, there have been many kids, over the course of time, all throughout the WORLD who've acted immaturely or irresponsibly in their early 20's. It appears as though there are a lot of comments on this fan board that are absolutely embarrassing two kids who, when you really break it down to the bare basics, are actually good kids (Yes, both capable of being numb-skulls). They've made good grades, are on their way to graduating if they've not already. As far as I know, minus a few basketball related minor issues and/or a few selfish moments perhaps (who's not guilty of having those??), neither of them have really ever created any serious trouble for anyone. Yet on here they're being called assholes, and basically being told to just leave. I wonder why Wes (for example), if he's read any of this, might be at a point of giving up. Could all of this name calling be part of it? Perhaps he comes on here to read and be involved as a fan too. Imagine that.

You don't restrain discipline based on the run you're on without compromising your credibility within your own program. You simply don't, so suggesting that any infraction by them (given their history) should have been overlooked in hopes of a win at Cal, is off base IMO.

XJ as a senior- Couldn't contain himself and got ejected in the ASU game. Didn't bother to put forth any effort after not starting the OSU game. Suspended for key game against Cal for violation of team rules and laughed it up on the sidelines as CU loses.

XJ as a junior- Suspended for Washington game for violation of team rules, then proceeds to laugh it up postgame with Washington players. Lost starting spot in Drexel game.

I wouldn't be so concerned with XJ if it was a one-time thing. He just happens to be a big part of the 2 very recent, very disappointing seasons for CU basketball, with antics on and off the court.

It comes down to how much Tad is willing to accept knowing that it is impacting his entire team.

Nobody is expecting XJ and Wes to be mature leaders, not every kid, maybe not even most kids, reach that point. What it is reasonable to expect is that they follow the rules and put out a reasonable effort. At some point when expectations aren't being met it has a negative impact on the team as a whole.

At that point the consequence may be that they lose some or all their playing time. Beyond that if their attitudes and effort are a negative then they don't have to be a part of the team. You don't kick them out but you separate them from the guys who are doing the work.

As someone who spent 98% of his basketball career sitting his ass on the bench watching games, I'm amazed at the anger over Wes & XJ laughing during a game. Especially considering we only have split second shots of them. As some have pointed out, they were also cheering their teammates on at times.

There are many legit reasons to be pissed at them. Spending ~1 minute of a 2 hour event laughing does not seem to be one of them.

As someone who spent 98% of his basketball career sitting his ass on the bench watching games, I'm amazed at the anger over Wes & XJ laughing during a game. Especially considering we only have split second shots of them. As some have pointed out, they were also cheering their teammates on at times.

There are many legit reasons to be pissed at them. Spending ~1 minute of a 2 hour event laughing does not seem to be one of them.

I'm much less concerned about the laughing on the bench than I am about getting themselves suspended in the first place. I wouldn't worry about that if it were an isolated incident.

Unfortunately we have multiple situations with failures to comply with team expectations, failure to put out the effort on the floor, failure to play defense or to pay attention to coaching. This is not a one time deal or even anything recent.

Back