What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs in the NFL Combine

Not Buffs related, but this DB from UConn wins the combine and maybe have put himself into the 1st round with these numbers. His second 40 was 4.40...

Some dudes pass the eyeball test and are athletic as hell. Then there are some that do the same exact thing but don't have the instincts for football. Chido has that.

Man... hopefully MM and Co are getting in DB prospects' ears about this. "These guys were 2-3* and our S&C program and coaching turned them into 3rd rounders- what do you think we could do for someone like you?"

Witherspoon had a 40" inch vertical too at 6' 3", that's nuts. Bet he can dunk anyway you want it lol.

I just read the official summaries of all 3 DB's from the link above. The hit all 3 of them for being below average to poor tacklers.

What is amazing to me personally, is our secondary was light years better at tackling last year compared to the previous 4+ years, so I thought they were great tacklers - with the exception of Akhello.

Perspective is everything.
Was thinking the same thing. Chido liked to tackle up around the shoulder pads. Was always scared he was going to get a targeting call or a facemask by how they looked sometimes.

Reading those and those of some of the other DB candidates it looks like they are rewarding hitting over tackling, they want the guys who look to lower their pads into a ballcarrier and take him off his feet.

Seems our DBs have been coached to go for the wrap instead of the hit. My suspicion is that more than a few teams will be perfectly fine with our DBs tackling, they get to guys and get them on the ground.

I think it is more a move toward the rugby style tackling that Carroll has brought to Seattle. Instead of the spectacular hit make sure the guy is contained and you or your help can get him to the ground without bouncing off for a big play. Doesn't seem to hurt Richard Sherman as a CB to do this (Chancellor will still try to knock your head off from his safety spot.) Give up a few yards on individual plays but a lot less big plays and the defenders stay healthier.

Reading those and those of some of the other DB candidates it looks like they are rewarding hitting over tackling, they want the guys who look to lower their pads into a ballcarrier and take him off his feet.

Seems our DBs have been coached to go for the wrap instead of the hit. My suspicion is that more than a few teams will be perfectly fine with our DBs tackling, they get to guys and get them on the ground.

I think it is more a move toward the rugby style tackling that Carroll has brought to Seattle. Instead of the spectacular hit make sure the guy is contained and you or your help can get him to the ground without bouncing off for a big play. Doesn't seem to hurt Richard Sherman as a CB to do this (Chancellor will still try to knock your head off from his safety spot.) Give up a few yards on individual plays but a lot less big plays and the defenders stay healthier.

Think it is more that a high tackle means the DB isn't getting low which means they likely don't have good leverage in a tackling situation. Not anything that a good DB coach can't correct though.

The Seahawks still form tackle around the middle of the ball carrier. They just wrap and roll as they go to the ground. Prevents a runner from bouncing off or keeping his footing.

Think it is more that a high tackle means the DB isn't getting low which means they likely don't have good leverage in a tackling situation. Not anything that a good DB coach can't correct though.

The Seahawks still form tackle around the middle of the ball carrier. They just wrap and roll as they go to the ground. Prevents a runner from bouncing off or keeping his footing.

Could be that but I got the sense that they wanted more physicality. I have seen some times when Spoon didn't look excited about run support or bringing down a ballcarrier but no more so than a lot of DBs. To criticize Chido and Ted for it I think is just false, they aren't LBs but they certainly aren't liabilities in tackling.

Again just my sense was that who ever did the evaluation was looking for big hits.

The speed on his 40 is fantastic. Chido plays best with the play in front of him, weird/high tackles aside. He struggled more on the downfield plays than Witherspoon. Chido could be a slot/nickle guy in the NFL which is getting more and more $$$ than ever before.

I know one thing, I've never seen that many big dbs. Either tall or not, dudes are built. Peppers is a big mofo.

Could be that but I got the sense that they wanted more physicality. I have seen some times when Spoon didn't look excited about run support or bringing down a ballcarrier but no more so than a lot of DBs. To criticize Chido and Ted for it I think is just false, they aren't LBs but they certainly aren't liabilities in tackling.

Again just my sense was that who ever did the evaluation was looking for big hits.

No doubt that Ted and Chido are happy to hit someone. Just need to be a more refined at the NFL level. The zebras are a little flag happy. As for Spoon, that is probably his biggest strike against him. He needs to get over his aversion to hitting someone in the run game.

No doubt that Ted and Chido are happy to hit someone. Just need to be a more refined at the NFL level. The zebras are a little flag happy. As for Spoon, that is probably his biggest strike against him. He needs to get over his aversion to hitting someone in the run game.

This is fair.

I just don't think it is that unusual at this point in their careers. I would also rather have a smart tackler than a big hitter. As I read the NFL.com profiles of the other DBs it seems like the writer was busy rewarding big hitters more than sure tacklers. Not saying that is right or wrong, just a bias on his part.

I feel like Chido's versatility is what makes him a first rounder. I really feel like Spoon is the better pure cover guy though.

There's also the possibility that teams are starting rumors. Lots of games being played leading up to draft day.

Would love to see them both picked in round one, but I think the analysis is probably right. 2nd round is where I think Chido lands, and not sure about Spoon.

Obviously want them to go in the 1st for the reputation that would say about CU, but selfishly, I want them to slide to the 2nd or 3rd (unlikely) so the Broncos might have a shot at one of them.
Broncos only draft rammies

Broncos only draft rammies
Not anymore! Don't you know that the Broncos are exclusively going to draft CU players now that there is a Fluff in the front office and a Fluff HC? Why do the Broncos hate CSU so much?

Is Sefo's foot still hurt? Over 5 in the 40? I thought he was more athletic than that.

Back