What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffs in the NFL Combine

Not Buffs related, but this DB from UConn wins the combine and maybe have put himself into the 1st round with these numbers. His second 40 was 4.40...

That dude is impressive, saw some of his workout. Freak is a good way to put it.

Always dreamed of having enough dope to cook up in a Crockpot.

Anyway...already missing those guys. They will be an tough trifecta to replace, ever. Looking forward to seeing them on Sundays though.
I was pretty nervous too. I was reading the Ralphie Report article (Here) and I like how they frame our DBs for next season. Mentions Oliver being a freak, Laguda a returning senior, Fisher looks like he can be really good, returning White, and adding Wigley. Definitely tough to replace the trio that is going to the NFL but still some solid talent there to work with.

I was pretty nervous too. I was reading the Ralphie Report article (Here) and I like how they frame our DBs for next season. Mentions Oliver being a freak, Laguda a returning senior, Fisher looks like he can be really good, returning White, and adding Wigley. Definitely tough to replace the trio that is going to the NFL but still some solid talent there to work with.
I'm picturing an above average defense, but a step down from last year - to go with an improved offense. I don't expect us to catch lightning in a bottle like last year (we won every game we could have - no heartbreaking losses), so a slight decline in wins. Call it 8 or 9 (the bowl game would be the 9th).

I'm picturing an above average defense, but a step down from last year.

The DL should be a big step down, but certainly the big NT from the juco will help. DB look to have talent, but replacing three NFL drafted seniors will be a step down. Losing the best DC since Hankowitz and a top end safety coach will be a step down. 2017 will need thw offense to carry the team.

The DL should be a big step down, but certainly the big NT from the juco will help. DB look to have talent, but replacing three NFL drafted seniors will be a step down. Losing the best DC since Hankowitz and a top end safety coach will be a step down. 2017 will need thw offense to carry the team.

That would be the conventional wisdom. Obviously hoping for better than most would think. It's a good early schedule for getting the talent to come together. And this defense does look like it has a lot of talented guys.

Maybe a silly question.

Why don't they start the 40's at the combine from a two point stance (standing start) Other than DEs who in football ever runs any distance starting from a 3 point?

Really hope that McCartney is back fully healthy. If he is it will go a long way towards having a solid pass rush and being able to set the edge against the run.

Maybe a silly question.

Why don't they start the 40's at the combine from a two point stance (standing start) Other than DEs who in football ever runs any distance starting from a 3 point?
My guess is it keeps them low longer, better balance too perhaps. If they raise up right away, their time will suffer for it.

My guess is it keeps them low longer, better balance too perhaps. If they raise up right away, their time will suffer for it.

It obviously gives them better times or they wouldn't all do it but just wondering if a standing start wouldn't be a better measure of football speed. I was always one of the ugly fat guys so a 40 was meaningless for me.

With me personally, it was a track release. I did the other start a few times, track start won out. If you really look at it, the 40 is a track event. I've seen plenty of dudes fast as hell that couldn't play football for shiznit.

That could absolutely be the reality. I choose to believe MMac made good hires that will put the young talent in a position to develop and make plays. You choose not to believe that.

Neither of us is right or wrong at this point - we will find out in the fall. The fact one of us is glass half full and the other glass half empty is not remotely a surprise.

When is CUs Pro Day. Fair to say that we might have more NFL scouts there than our neighbor to the north gets fans to some home games.

A lot of teams are going to want to make sure they are willing to spend a high pick on our DBs, I think there will be solid interest in Tupou, probably even some teams who want to look at Carroll as a potential UDFA. And with the shortage of QBs in the league some teams may still want to decide if Sefo is worth a 7th or making a priority to sign after the draft.

I think that we have the players and the pipeline to be nearly as good on defense as we were last year. By the end of the year, Oliver was a better DB than either CA or AW. Julmisse is more athletic than any of the above, and appears to be stepping up, but his inexperience will probably be our biggest weakness. At safety we are stacked with Laguda, Moeller, Fisher and now White. In fact, Moeller and White are probably startable hybrids. We return more experience at LB than in years. People will be surprised at our DL pipeline. Jeffcoat is coaching these guys up. By the end of the year, the DL could be better than 2016. We have more defensive talent and retention than we have had in a long, long time!

Not considering the first third of the season, if we have any decline in defense, it will be because of a downgrade in defensive coaching and play calling. That is my biggest concern about next year's D; Will we instill that blue-collar ethos and have passionate kids that work their heart out? Will we be clever or stupid with how we use our pieces?

The DL was solid last year, but would like to see it improve in the years to come. With recent recruiting, I think that's possible.

I assume the secondary won't be quite as good, but I've got hope they can still be pretty darn good.

I thought our linebackers were pretty average to sometimes bad last year, and were very much exposed against the better teams we played. I hope our talent has improved there or at least will soon.

I think that we have the players and the pipeline to be nearly as good on defense as we were last year. By the end of the year, Oliver was a better DB than either CA or AW. Julmisse is more athletic than any of the above, and appears to be stepping up, but his inexperience will probably be our biggest weakness. At safety we are stacked with Laguda, Moeller, Fisher and now White. In fact, Moeller and White are probably startable hybrids. We return more experience at LB than in years. People will be surprised at our DL pipeline. Jeffcoat is coaching these guys up. By the end of the year, the DL could be better than 2016. We have more defensive talent and retention than we have had in a long, long time!

Not considering the first third of the season, if we have any decline in defense, it will be because of a downgrade in defensive coaching and play calling. That is my biggest concern about next year's D; Will we instill that blue-collar ethos and have passionate kids that work their heart out? Will we be clever or stupid with how we use our pieces?
I think Oliver is going to prove to be the best CB to come out of CU since Jimmy Smith, and I do think we have decent quality depth at the other positions. A bunch of veteran guys who have seen a lot of playing time will handle the two S positions as well as the NB spot, and some plus athletes that will compete for the other CB between Julmisse, Blackmon and Miller. And don't sleep on Udoffia. He definitely looks the part after his RS year. There are a lot more question marks on this side of the ball, but I think we are deeper and more talented in the Secondary than people think.

Our DL was decent last year, but let's stop acting like we had 3-4 first round draft picks. Carrell and Samson were solid and Tupou was great. None of them are irreplaceable.

None are irreplaceable, but also fair to say 2014-2015 DL recruiting looks like a mixed bag at best right now.

I also think people should be ready for some ups and downs purely due to it taking time for the defensive staff to gel.

I think Oliver is going to prove to be the best CB to come out of CU since Jimmy Smith, and I do think we have decent quality depth at the other positions. A bunch of veteran guys who have seen a lot of playing time will handle the two S positions as well as the NB spot, and some plus athletes that will compete for the other CB between Julmisse, Blackmon and Miller. And don't sleep on Udoffia. He definitely looks the part after his RS year. There are a lot more question marks on this side of the ball, but I think we are deeper and more talented in the Secondary than people think.
Don't forget Fischer. That kid can play.

I am really looking forward to watching him fly around the secondary next year.

None are irreplaceable, but also fair to say 2014-2015 DL recruiting looks like a mixed bag at best right now.

I also think people should be ready for some ups and downs purely due to it taking time for the defensive staff to gel.
Agreed, and the fact that they hit the JUCO trail hard the last few years for DL help is telling. A lot of new faces, but also a lot of physically maturity. The OOC schedule sets up nicely, assuming they can simply "manage" against CSU in the opener.

Agreed, and the fact that they hit the JUCO trail hard the last few years for DL help is telling. A lot of new faces, but also a lot of physically maturity. The OOC schedule sets up nicely, assuming they can simply "manage" against CSU in the opener.

Yep. And as much as you can find solid to good replacements for most of the departing seniors, I think Jimmie Gilbert is one glaring exception. That is a big hole at the moment.

Yep. And as much as you can find solid to good replacements for most of the departing seniors, I think Jimmie Gilbert is one glaring exception. That is a big hole at the moment.
Looks like Hamilton will be filling that hole. Just have to hope they can make a true pass rusher out of him.

I'm starting to think, based on what the coaches have been talking about and what they haven't been (and Falo working inside), that we may be looking at the Will linebacker being used less this year and the Buff linebacker being used more. I think White may be starting at Buff with Moeller rotating in a lot. There's a lot of beef in the front 4 with McCartney back, Umu's progression, Jackson bigger, and Edwards coming in. We may be able to stop the run with our guys who are playing on the LOS and go with faster coverage guys at the second level.

Back