What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bunker mode

You are speculating and stating it as a fact. He landed 2 extraordinary assistants last off-season; If the money and positions are right, there will be plenty of takers.
The only way I see this as the case, is if they are assured it won't be a one year gig. Similar to my speculation as to why Leavitt and Tumpkin both agreed to come here (They were assured the staff would get 2016 regardless).

I think he'll have trouble landing quality assistants this offseason, depending on how the season finishes out. Year 4 would definitely be the make or break year and most assistants with options won't want to take that risk.
IDK. The program has a lot to offer...new facilities, greatest venue, great town, committed admin. We have a large pool of $ for assistants...I'm tired of paying for a Benz and getting a Yugo (young posters...look it up :LOL:)

The ONLY way I see a change happening is if RG, for whatever reason, knows he can hit a home run with the next hire. And he would have to know that in advance.

IDK. The program has a lot to offer...new facilities, greatest venue, great town, committed admin. We have a large pool of $ for assistants...I'm tired of paying for a Benz and getting a Yugo (young posters...look it up :LOL:)
Absolutely. CU is 10x more attractive of a job now than it was 3 years ago. Look at Oregon State, they went out and got Gary Andersen. I think CU has more to offer than OSU, and Andersen is certainly a much better coach then HCMM. He is certainly more accomplished and recognizable than MM.

I can't compare MM to Bill McCartney, but I will for playing devil's advocate.

In the first three years of McCartney's reign after the horrid tenure of Chuck Fairbanks, the CU buffs went:
7-25-1 and didn't show dominance until his 8th season.

Right now, MM is 9-21 in his third season.

Not saying this is a good thing, just saying that there COULD be a future here if he has teh support staff he needs
and the recruiting to do that.

If he does or will has yet to be seen, though.

I think he'll have trouble landing quality assistants this offseason, depending on how the season finishes out. Year 4 would definitely be the make or break year and most assistants with options won't want to take that risk.

This program really needs some continuity. Although I'm not happy with many things, I think it is important that we bite the bullet and give Mac a full 5 years. Bad coaching has killed us, for sure. But the constant changes in coaching staffs has been at least as damaging.

The above two posts go hand in hand. Mac will be entering year 4 after this season. About the time the AD begins negotiating an extension, or not. Or at least publicly talking about one or some kind of affirmation that he is safe. A point that may or may not be lost on potential hires if there is a staff shakeup at the end of this season. Perhaps RG steps in on interviews privately and says MacIntyre is safe. I dont know. Then again its the nature of coaching to lose your job frequently. Perhaps why some candidates flock to safer jobs and why Saban gets the best picks.

MacIntyre's rein here involves some really big problems he inherited and some problems he created which he seems to be willing to fix. He's learning on our dime I guess and doing it better than Hawkins or Embree did. Unless there is clear upgrade that George could actually get (Meyer, Harbaugh) that was just a ridiculous hire I am nervous about a change.

Recruiting has picked up since the defensive staff remake. With a good set of hires on the other side of the ball we may be better off. A complete staff change may compromise all that too and cost us the recruits.

We truly are at a crossroads if we dont get some wins. I see reasons to make a change. And reasons to be cautious. At least now the Ath Dept is financially much healthier than it was with buyouts and conf change costs in the rear view mirror.

Last edited:

In the first three years of McCartney's reign after the horrid tenure of Chuck Fairbanks, the CU buffs went:

Not saying this is a good thing, just saying that there COULD be a future here if he has teh support staff he needs

I see your point. But using only that logic, then we should have given Hawk another 2-3 years, or Embree another 3 years.

Since they already extended him after the first year it would seem an extension would be talked about after next season.

One glaring difference between the two, Bill McCartney went 4-16-1 in conference play in his first 3 seasons. Coach MacIntyre, has gone 1-19 in conference in his first 2+ seasons. Bill never had a winless conference slate. HCMM has already had one and I don't think will survive another. He needs to win Pac-12 games. Period.

Since they already extended him after the first year it would seem an extension would be talked about after next season.

Head coaching contracts at CU are given a one year bump every year. Yes technically its an extension, but its more procedural than anything.

This is kind of where I am at as well. This could be a really long term project and we clearly reached those depths of despair as we did with Fairbanks.

Head coaching contracts at CU are given a one year bump every year. Yes technically its an extension, but its more procedural than anything.

I thought Tad was the only one to get that after last season. Mac was extended the first year but not the second. Maybe I am wrong.

I thought Tad was the only one to get that after last season. Mac was extended the first year but not the second. Maybe I am wrong.

Tad gets them every year, I think Linda does too. Thought HCMM got one this year but you are right, he did not. He got one in Feb of 2014, but not Feb of 2015

One glaring difference between the two, Bill McCartney went 4-16-1 in conference play in his first 3 seasons. Coach MacIntyre, has gone 1-19 in conference in his first 2+ seasons. Bill never had a winless conference slate. HCMM has already had one and I don't think will survive another. He needs to win Pac-12 games. Period.
I wouldn't say 3 more conference wins over almost another full conference slate is considered "glaring".

This is kind of where I am at as well. This could be a really long term project and we clearly reached those depths of despair as we did with Fairbanks.
scary thing is, in the article about the player only mtg., we might be close to rock bottom... I thought we were already down into the Mantle and reaching the core already?? Damn this is a huge hole.

Its not the number, its the method. HCBM never went winless in conference.
But you're making it about the number. Two of BM's first three seasons were 1 win conference records. When you're that bad (as we are currently), what's the difference between 0 conference wins and 1?

But you're making it about the number. Two of BM's first three seasons were 1 win conference records. When you're that bad (as we are currently), what's the difference between 0 conference wins and 1?
Its perception among your fans. Its perception among your peers. Its perception among your players. Its perception among the media.

scary thing is, in the article about the player only mtg., we might be close to rock bottom... I thought we were already down into the Mantle and reaching the core already?? Damn this is a huge hole.

Recruiting has to get better. The team has to have a foundation of passable to good talent on hand as a starting point. Better recruiters are the only way to do that and it appears Leavitt and Tumpkin have already started this process. Its entirely possible that we were passed on by some names because of how dire things were when Embree was fired. There wasn't a lot here for anyone to work with. I dont think we are as "rock bottom" as we were back then but we still clearly are suffering a serious talent gap at many positions. Its a marathon and not the 100yd dash unfortunately.

Todays current CU football coach understands fundamentals, football IQ, and how to be an organized and effective head coach better than his predecessor did. He also shows a willingness to make staff changes, unlike his predecessor, when it was clear things were not working. We do not have Urban Meyer working for us. Urban Meyer also would not come here unless it was his first HC opportunity. Those names that are one percenters would not take a job here unless we offered to outpay all of college football to get them. Something we have not shown a willingness to do yet.

Hiring Bill McCartney was catching lightning in a bottle. The big difference being that Bill came from a better coaching tree than Mike did. We also gave Bill many years to get things turned around. The two situations bare some similarities but College football today does not have the pertinence it had in the 1980s. By the way, would Oregon be where it is today if not for Mike Bellotti?

Last edited:
Reactions: aik
Its perception among your fans. Its perception among your peers. Its perception among your players. Its perception among the media.
Understandable; I just think this program is well beyond worrying about fan, peer or media perception. We're essentially at rock bottom for all three.

Understandable; I just think this program is well beyond worrying about fan, peer or media perception. We're essentially at rock bottom for all three.

Right. We are. That is why we can't go 0-fer in conference again, otherwise we stay there.

so how many conference wins are NEEDED this year to be able to say that things are going in the right direction?

I would LOVE three conference wins, but at this point, I'd take 2....WSU and OSU are prime pickin' right now.
I'm thinking maybe USC as well.

so how many conference wins are NEEDED this year to be able to say that things are going in the right direction?

I would LOVE three conference wins, but at this point, I'd take 2....WSU and OSU are prime pickin' right now.
I'm thinking maybe USC as well.

He NEEDS at least 1. Thats an improvement over last year. That doubles the win total from last year. That shows we can compete with these teams. For me, personally, to say it is going in the right direction, HCMM needs 2 PAC-12 wins.

Recruiting has picked up since the defensive staff remake. With a good set of hires on the other side of the ball we may be better off. A complete staff change may compromise all that too and cost us the recruits.
This is so true. The new guys have brought in higher profile talent in a few months than the rest of the staff in 3 years. Get some new damn assistants already.

Back