What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFP expanding to 8 teams before 2026 - CBS Sports

I hate this auto bid for P5 champs BS. So if an 8-4 team wins the Big XII title game, you want them in?

The thing I hate about Match Madness is the best team rarely wins the title. The more teams you add, the more the season and championship get devalued.

4 teams, or better yet, #1 and #2 play for all the marbles. That's how it should be.

Yes, and when the 8-4 team beats the over-hyped and under-scheduled 11-1 ACC or SEC team, then maybe it'll sink in that polls don't always know everything.
Yeah, like when #2 Nebraska played for all the marbles after getting smoked 62-36 a few weeks earlier. THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE. <sarcasm font>

How can you be the best team in the country if you aren't even the best team in your conference????

Had this argument the other day with a Mizzu buddy. If your the best team then win your fricken conference, i just dont understand those that argue otherwise.

Yes, and when the 8-4 team beats the over-hyped and under-scheduled 11-1 ACC or SEC team, then maybe it'll sink in that polls don't always know everything.
Yeah, like when #2 Nebraska played for all the marbles after getting smoked 62-36 a few weeks earlier. THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE. <sarcasm font>
8-4 teams haven't earned the right to compete for titles.

I don’t see why there can’t be 3 tv slots on Saturday. NFL gets an early game at 11 am, and then they pick if they want the 2:30 game or the 6 pm game.

This is the perfect and obvious answer. Not that hard.

NFL used to do a 12:30/4pm EST playoff doubleheader on Saturdays and it makes zero sense why they ever went away from that format. If the NFL doesn't want to work around the CFB national championship then just go up against them, some of these wildcard weekend games aren't that big of a draw anyway.

So, then National Titles don't make you the best team in the country?

What is the point of any title then?

Maybe Tenn. is the only true champion left!
Does the super bowl title mean you're the best team in the NFL? Hell no!

I hate playoff systems because the best team rarely wins the championship. I hate the idea that you just have to get hot at the right time rather than truly be the best.

Does the super bowl title mean you're the best team in the NFL? Hell no!

I hate playoff systems because the best team rarely wins the championship. I hate the idea that you just have to get hot at the right time rather than truly be the best.
That's why you can't go to 8, 16, 32 teams. Keep it small, but it has to be based on conference champs. Can't be the best in the country and 2nd best in your division

I like the idea and it's good for college football. It doesn't take away from the regular season in fact a team can lose a game and still get in. There will still be all the controversy and everything else we love about college football. The other thing I think it will effect is the coaching carousel. Maybe we will see less changes because a team won 8 or 9 games and they were close instead of firing the coach, or a coach won't leave because they feel they can only "get in" in certain programs and sticks with where he is and keeps building. It gives more teams a chance instead the few that can make it now and don't give me anyone can make it, that's bs. There are only a few current head coaches that have won the NC and I'm all for the list getting bigger. I hope it does this year but I doubt it

That's why you can't go to 8, 16, 32 teams. Keep it small, but it has to be based on conference champs. Can't be the best in the country and 2nd best in your division
11-1 team should get in over a confefence champ when everyone knows they are better. Alabama deserved to be in. Not Ohio State. Ohio State gave up 55 points to Iowa. Anything else they did this year was irrelevant because of that. Buf you want them in because they won your sacred conference title.

11-1 team should get in over a confefence champ when everyone knows they are better. Alabama deserved to be in. Not Ohio State. Ohio State gave up 55 points to Iowa. Anything else they did this year was irrelevant because of that. Buf you want them in because they won your sacred conference title.
So then what’s the point of a conference championship (other than a money grab)? You’re potentially penalizing the team for winning their division and down playing the value in making it to the game. I don’t disagree with your assessment about Alabama, but there’s definitely a conundrum about who is worth advancing and on what terms the advancement should be based upon.

So then what’s the point of a conference championship (other than a money grab)? You’re potentially penalizing the team for winning their division and down playing the value in making it to the game. I don’t disagree with your assessment about Alabama, but there’s definitely a conundrum about who is worth advancing and on what terms the advancement should be based upon.
I think that's my main issue with how this shook out.

In a hypothetical where Alabama had beaten Auburn but then lost to Georgia, I don't think they make the playoff despite that being a much better resume. They were rewarded for not earning the right to play. That's pretty ****ed up.

So then, you agree that UCF should be in over Alabama, right? Their record is WAY better. They never lost. Beat everyone by an average of 20+ points.

Maybe Alabama didn't play ANYONE legit, and lost to the only real team they played?

So then, you agree that UCF should be in over Alabama, right? Their record is WAY better. They never lost. Beat everyone by an average of 20+ points.

Maybe Alabama didn't play ANYONE legit, and lost to the only real team they played?
No, only 2 teams should get the opportunity to play for the title.

So you just wanna go back-to voting then? What's the point of any championship game if people think they know who the true champion is then does it matter who wins the fricken game, cuz if the wrong team wins then you would just say
"The better team didn't win, the other team just got hot, but we know who the better team is...how do we KNOW if they don't WIN?

That is such a bull**** statement. Until they play the games, no one knows who is better. The biggest problem with CFB is that humans are involved in who is deserving. Every other sport determines who is deserving based on who won. In all other NCAA sports, if you win your conference you get the chance to play for your championship. Humans decide if others are also deserving of the opportunity, but if you win, you are in. Why should CFB be different. Are those decision makers that much more learned about the game that results on the field should be ignored?

Unless everyone in the SEC played everyone equally, don't see how anyone knows who's the best team, short of a conference championship.

That is such a bull**** statement. Until they play the games, no one knows who is better. The biggest problem with CFB is that humans are involved in who is deserving. Every other sport determines who is deserving based on who won. In all other NCAA sports, if you win your conference you get the chance to play for your championship. Humans decide if others are also deserving of the opportunity, but if you win, you are in. Why should CFB be different. Are those decision makers that much more learned about the game that results on the field should be ignored?
Deserving is not the choice. Best is, not most deserving. Change the charter. It ain’t happening.
I’m convinced humans can choose the four best with advanced analytics. Hard to argue with past CFP choices.

Don’t want CFB like NFL. I like it is different. I’m not in favor of expanding post season. As a matter of fact, I’d like to see it contract (which I realize will probably never happen). Reduce the number of bowls and keep the playoff small.

Maybe reducing the number of bowls for teams like little brother......but seeing a story like New Mexico State still shows theres a purpose for bowl games.

No, only 2 teams should get the opportunity to play for the title.

You do realize only 2 teams do play for the title right?? The question being debated is how you whittle the season down to the 2 best teams. When season starts it should be open, but preseason ranking give a bias. Playing the teams in front of you is all you can do to make your case Step 1: play a respectable OOC. STEP 2: win your conference via a conference championship game. STEP 3: conference champions battle it out till down to 2 teams. STEP 4: last 2 teams left standing play for the title. Pretty simple really.

You do realize only 2 teams do play for the title right?? The question being debated is how you whittle the season down to the 2 best teams. When season starts it should be open, but preseason ranking give a bias. Playing the teams in front of you is all you can do to make your case Step 1: play a respectable OOC. STEP 2: win your conference via a conference championship game. STEP 3: conference champions battle it out till down to 2 teams. STEP 4: last 2 teams left standing play for the title. Pretty simple really.
Could leave out the best. Charter says find the four best. Not most deserving. But all k is that.

I'm not gonna support any system that just says, "you won your conference, you're in".

How are they determined to be the best if they don't win their conference? By someones perception? Regardless, shouldn't you reward those you deserved it? Talk about a silver spoon.

How are they determined to be the best if they don't win their conference? By someones perception? Regardless, shouldn't you reward those you deserved it? Talk about a silver spoon.
Advanced analytics determines best. Not perception.

Dinich reporter tonight that not a single CFP commissioner was in favor of expansion at this time.

Back