What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CFP expanding to 8 teams before 2026 - CBS Sports

Before this season, did any of the major polls (hell, any poll) ever award their MNC title to a conference member which did not win even a share of their conference? Or did we break new ground there?

Before this season, did any of the major polls (hell, any poll) ever award their MNC title to a conference member which did not win even a share of their conference? Or did we break new ground there?
They would have awarded Nebraska the MNC in 2001 had they beaten Miami

It is basically implied as no agreement could ever be made that didn't guarantee a slot for Notre Dame and there would be severe political and anti-trust consequences if they ignored the G5. The current NY6 games have those specific clauses in them, although the G5 might only have to be top 15, but was thinking it was 12.
Wrong, this is implied nowhere. They are basically ignoring the G5 now, where are your consequences? And Notre Dame has the same chance at those other 3 spots as anyone else. Want more chances? Join a conference.

I’m still waiting to find out which of the 13-3 NFL teams is the best. If only there was a way to figure that out.

Aren’t you guys happy CU didn’t win the PAC-12 conference championship game last year since UW was the better team. Would have been awkward to have a champion crowned when they aren’t the best team.

Still waiting for an answer to this.
the answer is, "it doesn't matter which is best -- the NFL has a format which selects its champion based on which team at the end of the season gets hottest in a short-series single-elimination tournament." the question is moot.

the answer is, "it doesn't matter which is best -- the NFL has a format which selects its champion based on which team at the end of the season gets hottest in a short-series single-elimination tournament." the question is moot.
Not if you happen to believe the tournament doesn’t determine the best team. According to Medford, the regular season decides the best team. Seeing as we had four teams with identical records, I’m curious as to which of them is the best.

Not if you happen to believe the tournament doesn’t determine the best team. According to Medford, the regular season decides the best team. Seeing as we had four teams with identical records, I’m curious as to which of them is the best.
I don't believe the tournament selects the best team consistently (does so ~60% of the time IMO).

The question of who is "best" can never be answered definitively by any system.

The point myself and other posters were making earlier is that, while the polls used to attempt to name a MNC who was the best team, the current system makes no such attempt, but instead gives up on naming the best team and does it like the NFL by selecting the team who gets hottest at the end of the year. Some people view this as a benefit to the current system while others view it as a drawback.

Of the last 8 teams to play in the Super Bowl, 7 were 1 seeds, while 1 was a 2 seed and all four winners were 1 seeds. Baltimore, NYG, and GB are a few examples of lower seeded teams "getting hot" and making a run in the last decade, but the NFL Champion is hardly based on who gets the hottest.

2017 Super Bowl was 1 seed vs 2 seed (1 seed NE won)
2016 Super Bowl was 1 seed vs 1 seed (Denver won)
2015 Super Bowl was 1 seed vs 1 seed (NE won)
2014 Super Bowl was 1 seed vs 1 seed (Seattle Won)

I don't believe the tournament selects the best team consistently (does so ~60% of the time IMO).

The point myself and other posters were making earlier is that, while the polls used to attempt to name a MNC who was the best team, the current system makes no such attempt, but instead gives up on naming the best team and does it like the NFL by selecting the team who gets hottest at the end of the year. Some people view this as a benefit to the current system while others view it as a drawback.
I get the point that’s being made. I still haven’t gotten an answer to the question, though.

I get the point that’s being made. I still haven’t gotten an answer to the question, though.
I answered: there is no method for determining the best team in the NFL.

what else are you looking for?

I answered: there is no method for determining the best team in the NFL.

what else are you looking for?
But that’s not correct. The regular season is supposed to tell us which team is the best. So I ask again, based on the regular season results, which 13-3 team is the best?

Of the last 8 teams to play in the Super Bowl, 7 were 1 seeds, while 1 was a 2 seed and all four winners were 1 seeds. Baltimore, NYG, and GB are a few examples of lower seeded teams "getting hot" and making a run in the last decade...
fair point....
... the NFL Champion is hardly based on who gets the hottest.
not quite ready to jump to this conclusion. without analysis, I SWAG'd earlier that the NFL playoffs selects the best team about 60% of the time. I think your sampling backs that up.

...The regular season is supposed to tell us which team is the best. ...
I'm not following the leap in logic you're making that gets to this point. I don't believe there is a method for determining which is the best NFL team with any degree of certainty.

But that’s not correct. The regular season is supposed to tell us which team is the best. So I ask again, based on the regular season results, which 13-3 team is the best?

Marty Shottenheimer is the greatest coach of all time.

It does appear that the CFP is getting the ratings...

College Football Playoff National Championship Delivers Massive 16.7 Overnight, Up 9% Year-Over-Year

College Football Playoff National Championships Provide ESPN with its Highest-Ratings on Record

Combined with the inaugural season, the College Football Playoff National Championship now represent the two-highest rated events on record for ESPN’s networks.
Among all college football bowl games, the College Football Playoff era has provided ESPN with three of its top 5 highest-rated games and seven of the top 10:

RankRatingDateMatchupNetworkGame
118.8Jan 12, 2015Ohio State vs. OregonESPNCFP National Championship
216.7Jan. 8, 2018Georgia vs. AlabamaESPNCFP National Championship
316.1Jan 10, 2011Auburn vs. OregonESPNBCS National Championship
416.0Jan 11, 2016Alabama vs. ClemsonESPNCFP National Championship
515.7Jan 7, 2013Notre Dame vs. AlabamaESPNBCS National Championship
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...-delivers-massive-16-7-overnight-9-year-year/

on the subject of scheduling, I just realized that last year the B1G adopted a rule of "no more FCS opponents" along with their policy of "at least one P5 school each year".

I guess they want to make sure Michigan never loses to App State again.

It does appear that the CFP is getting the ratings...

College Football Playoff National Championship Delivers Massive 16.7 Overnight, Up 9% Year-Over-Year

College Football Playoff National Championships Provide ESPN with its Highest-Ratings on Record

Combined with the inaugural season, the College Football Playoff National Championship now represent the two-highest rated events on record for ESPN’s networks.
Among all college football bowl games, the College Football Playoff era has provided ESPN with three of its top 5 highest-rated games and seven of the top 10:

RankRatingDateMatchupNetworkGame
118.8Jan 12, 2015Ohio State vs. OregonESPNCFP National Championship
216.7Jan. 8, 2018Georgia vs. AlabamaESPNCFP National Championship
316.1Jan 10, 2011Auburn vs. OregonESPNBCS National Championship
416.0Jan 11, 2016Alabama vs. ClemsonESPNCFP National Championship
515.7Jan 7, 2013Notre Dame vs. AlabamaESPNBCS National Championship
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...-delivers-massive-16-7-overnight-9-year-year/
To be getting record ratings at a time when ratings in general are declining is a BFD. The reports of the death for college football media deals are greatly exaggerated, methinks.

To be getting record ratings at a time when ratings in general are declining is a BFD. The reports of the death for college football media deals are greatly exaggerated, methinks.
For the first time in memory, the morning radio guys (Evans and Schlereth) admitted the college game was generally more entertaining and a far superior product to the NFL. It's a big deal for a guy like Schlereth to say that, btw, as he knows next to nothing about the college game, and is basically a casual fan.

The Committee charter says they select the four best teams to enter a playoff. Then it is decided on the field. Hard to argue that the Committee failed in this or any previous year.

It helped that you had two teams who have gigantic followings as well.

The Committee charter says they select the four best teams to enter a playoff. Then it is decided on the field. Hard to argue that the Committee failed in this or any previous year.
exactly right. we've gone from a system that attempts to select the best team as champion to one that only attempts to select one of the four best.

again, whether one views that as an improvement to the system or not is debatable and widely varied.

I disagree, quite simply because I think ESPN, the one company that is mainly responsible for the increased value of the college football media deals, is walking down a non-sustainable path and losing customers (and hence revenue) left, right and centre. I think the business model will have to change especially, when I see how many people are moving away from linear TV to stream based solutions. They will have to adapt to that and I think that'll ultimately make it more difficult.

I think we may be at the peak or around the peak for the value of sports rights in general.

I'm not following the leap in logic you're making that gets to this point. I don't believe there is a method for determining which is the best NFL team with any degree of certainty.
Yes there is. It’s been in use for years. It’s called the playoffs.

Yes there is. It’s been in use for years. It’s called the playoffs.
you're clearly close-minded to this possibility that a team can win a short series, single-elimination tournament without being the best team in what is generally acknowledged as a match-up dependent sport. there's probably no point in further discussion, but for a few extreme examples, I refer you to the 2007 NFL champion, the 2011 champion and the 2010 champion.

I disagree, quite simply because I think ESPN, the one company that is mainly responsible for the increased value of the college football media deals, is walking down a non-sustainable path and losing customers (and hence revenue) left, right and centre. I think the business model will have to change especially, when I see how many people are moving away from linear TV to stream based solutions. They will have to adapt to that and I think that'll ultimately make it more difficult.

I think we may be at the peak or around the peak for the value of sports rights in general.
I agree with/resemble this remark. I don't have cable or any streaming package that includes ESPN and didn't watch the game last night. Did I miss anything?

you're clearly close-minded to this possibility that a team can win a short series, single-elimination tournament without being the best team in what is generally acknowledged as a match-up dependent sport. there's probably no point in further discussion, but for a few extreme examples, I refer you to the 2007 NFL champion, the 2011 champion and the 2010 champion.
How are those teams not the best team in the NFL those years? What proof do you have?

This bull**** about how a single elimination tournament doesn’t weed out the best teams is hogwash. Of course it does. It’s completely impossible to prove otherwise.

How are those teams not the best team in the NFL those years? What proof do you have?

This bull**** about how a single elimination tournament doesn’t weed out the best teams is hogwash. Of course it does. It’s completely impossible to prove otherwise.
there is no notion of 'proof' in sports -- proof is a theoretical concept that only applies in mathematics and philosophy. you're being absurd.

I think we can have confidence that when a 14-6 team is crowned champion over a 16-1 team, and those teams were 1-1 vs each other during the entire season, that the better team wasn't crowned champion.

if you'd like to provide a logical explanation of why you are so confident that a single-elimination, short-series tournament does consistently select the best team, I'll read it carefully with an open mind. If you have nothing more to offer than "they won the playoffs so therefore they must be the best", don't bother.

Back