What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Charles Clark to Oregon

You're surprised Oregon can pay more?

Im surprised that we cant when I consider that we just fund raised to build the IPF and Champions Center. We have a guy thats very good at fund raising. Maybe they just thought they could get away with low pay and that JL would only leave for HC job. Surprise. Maybe they thought theyd get a little more time to realize the revenue bump from winning (tickets, merchandise, concessions, giving).

There comes a point at which, possibly next fall, where the string of luck in hiring good replacements is gonna run out. We cant survive if Oregon, USC, UCLA, UDub, can poach our coaches consistently for better paying lateral moves.

Oregon can basically outspend anyone to get their guy.

The goal for CU is not to match any and every big money offer an assistant may receive. The AD needs to ensure CU's salary pool is consistently pushing the top third of the conference so attracting outside candidates is easier.

The goal for CU is not to match any and every big money offer an assistant may receive. The AD needs to ensure CU's salary pool is consistently pushing the top third of the conference so attracting outside candidates is easier.

Agreed. Being at the bottom of the conference (as someone posted somewhere else) is a big problem.

So youre saying that.... CU P5 < Oregon P5 ?

Great.

On top of the contract problem we apparently cant afford to pay? Im sorry but I dont buy that. A successful football program will receive revenue bumps for a lot of things like season tickets, merchandise, concessions, and giving. And we have a guy in the front office that clearly knows how to maximize that. Cause, he found the money to build the Champions Center and IPF.
No, I'm saying CU doesn't have the same financial resources that schools like Oregon have. Oregon can afford to overpay an assistant without it impacting how much they can spend on the rest of the staff - that's not the case at CU. We can find a really good DC without having to make him the highest paid assistant in the conference.

Hell, I'm just wanting the middle third for an assistant salary pool at this stage.

I'm sure he will leave a big endowment to ease the blow but it is going to be interesting to see what happens to Oregon when Uncle Phil kicks the bucket and his heirs no longer want to pass a blank check for everything the AD wants to do.

I'm sure he will leave a big endowment to ease the blow but it is going to be interesting to see what happens to Oregon when Uncle Phil kicks the bucket and his heirs no longer want to pass a blank check for everything the AD wants to do.
I work with an Oregon grad. Just FWIW, Uncle Phil also gives a **** load to the academic side. Not that that makes me despise him any less. Mainly, I'm jealous. How can CU, with all our grads in an era of mega billionaires, not have such a benefactor?

I work with an Oregon grad. Just FWIW, Uncle Phil also gives a **** load to the academic side. Not that that makes me despise him any less. Mainly, I'm jealous. How can CU, with all our grads in an era of mega billionaires, not have such a benefactor?

Hey, but we got South Park!

The Leavitt salary at Oregon is an outlier for the PAC 12 - so I would not use it as a point of comparison. The PAC 12 has not been into paying +$1 million to coordinators like the SEC does. I think it is important to increase the salary pool for assistants but I want that to mean hiring top assistants not just giving big pay raises to under performing assistants.

Excellent question. Is it the graduates who aren't making the dough, or is it the University that may be reluctant to foster give-and-take relationships with big cigars?

If only Robert Redford, the South Park guys would pony up the dough! Actually, they should be hitting up Chipotle founder and CEO, Steve Ells for some donations. Seems to be one of the higher net worth alums.

Excellent question. Is it the graduates who aren't making the dough, or is it the University that may be reluctant to foster give-and-take relationships with big cigars?
Remember how excited we were when we were looking forward to Solich selling his company for over a couple billion? "Just wait," we said. "When Solich does that deal, I've heard he is going to donate $100 million to athletics," we said. Right.

If only Robert Redford, the South Park guys would pony up the dough! Actually, they should be hitting up Chipotle founder and CEO, Steve Ells for some donations. Seems to be one of the higher net worth alums.
Hey, we have Croc's and WeatherTech.

Remember how excited we were when we were looking forward to Solich selling his company for over a couple billion? "Just wait," we said. "When Solich does that deal, I've heard he is going to donate $100 million to athletics," we said. Right.

8 billionaires call Colorado home.

Seems like the media guys with satellite and cable fortunes would be naturally attracted the promotion of a local college sports program.

We also have the CFO of T Mobile, the founder of Burton Snowboards and the Chairman and CEO of Lehman Brothers...

Not sure former Lehman chief Dick Fuld, one of the most culpable parties to the 2008 financial crisis, is someone CU wants calling any shots.

We also have the CFO of T Mobile, the founder of Burton Snowboards and the Chairman and CEO of Lehman Brothers...

Jake Burton never graduated from CU - we may have given him an honorary degree at some point, but I think he was only here for a bit. Same for Steve Wozniak and he has given donations to CU.

I am very confident that the CU fundraisers do hit up our high-earning alumni. I'm NOT a big donor nor make huge sums of cash, but CU has consistently tried to get me to donate ever since graduation. A lot of us got annoyed with their numerous calls in the evening, so I believe CU rethought how to reach out to alumni. I feel like they've put in just the right amount of outreach with lil ole me in the last handful of years, so I'm confident for big fish like Ellis, Parker, etc...they are in touch and trying. I was taken out to lunch by some fundraisers some years ago, and they mentioned to me how it is a struggle to get our wealthy alumni, specifically professional athletes, to donate...hopefully that's changed in the last five years.

I do find it interesting how many friends that are CU alumni don't really consider giving back. Alumni I know love to root for CU sports and want CU academics to do well. However, they feel that they (or parents) paid CU tuition and fees, and that was enough. I disagree, but arguments aside, friends that went to other schools with more solid athletics seem more inclined to give to their university. As much as I love college sports, I find many aspects of it despicable; however, it's hard to argue against how a successful athletic department can really rally your alumni base, helping not just AD donations but donations to the academics as well.

Sorry for the aside - hope we find a good replacement for Clark.

Back