What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Carousel...

Today Harbaugh is saying he will stay at Stanford.

According to the always reliable footballcoachscoop,

According to our sources, Athletic Director Lew Perkins has turned his focus to Butch Jones (Central Michigan Head Coach), Turner Gill (Buffalo Head Coach) Kevin Sumlin (Houston Head Coach) and Skip Holtz (East Carolina Head Coach) after being turned down by several coaches.

The caliber of candidates mentioned in connection with the KU job is really a testament to what Mangino was able to accomplish there. It's actually a job worth wanting now for rising coaches who probably wouldn't have considered it 5 years ago.

Butch Jones just named new HC at Cincy.

Now CMU just needs to hire Chuck Martin from Grand Valley State for the coaching "pipeline" to be complete! haha

Butch Jones just named new HC at Cincy.

Now CMU just needs to hire Chuck Martin from Grand Valley State for the coaching "pipeline" to be complete! haha

I wouldn't fall out of my chair if I read that happened. Makes perfect sense, as they all. Keep. Winning.

is the unlv job still open, is gb in the running?

I think it is still open, but they are also looking for a new A.D. as well.

Not sure who the top candidates are anymore as there were lots of names being thrown around but never much actual news.

Was it mentioned that Portland State filled its coaching vacancy?

Kiesau won't be leaving.

Was it mentioned that Portland State filled its coaching vacancy?

Kiesau won't be leaving.

Correct. They hired Nevada's DC. Can't remember his name right now.

That could mean the much-hyped OC is the de-facto HC-in-waiting at Nevada with Chris Ault near(or past) retirement age.

I think it is still open, but they are also looking for a new A.D. as well.

Not sure who the top candidates are anymore as there were lots of names being thrown around but never much actual news.

If I'm a Rebel fan I'm pissed. They need to step it up and remedy those things so recruits who are deciding their future NOW will have a reason to go besides the obvious. Vegas should be an easy sell like Boulder for what it is, but apparently top recruits also like stability and wins.

If I'm a Rebel fan I'm pissed. They need to step it up and remedy those things so recruits who are deciding their future NOW will have a reason to go besides the obvious. Vegas should be an easy sell like Boulder for what it is, but apparently top recruits also like stability and wins.

I disagree. Vegas is a lot like disneyworld. In the end its all hollow and fake.

SJSU hired their man...McIntyre or something or the other. So much for my pipe dream Hawk flies away of his own accord...

There is a new sherriff in town at Marshall, WVU asst. Doc Holliday is the man.

Vic Koenning goes to be the new DC at Illinois.

Hey KjSU, we have some of the great up and coming football minds on our staff, Ron Collins could be had amigos....

Last edited:
...more detail...
KSU lost their DC Vi Koenning to Ron Zook and Illinois.

Koenning spent only one year at Kansas State, which ranks 40th nationally in total defense and 16th against the run. He built his reputation as a strong defensive coordinator at Clemson, which finished in the top 25 nationally in scoring, total defense, and pass efficiency defense in each of his four seasons there (2005-08).
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/8369/illinois-officially-names-koenning-as-dc

This was an interesting paragraph about Zook:

A week after dismissing four assistant coaches and demoting two others, Zook has filled all four positions and has his staff in place for a make-or-break 2010 season. We can certainly debate whether Zook should still be at Illinois and whether the fired assistants were scapegoats for a miserable season, but you've got to give the team credit for its bold approach to finding replacements.

is the unlv job still open, is gb in the running?

UNLV hired Jim Livengood as their new A.D. Livengood was the AD at Arizona for 16 years, until the current president declined to negotiate a new contract with him.

One day after being hired as athletic director, Jim Livengood lined up interviews with Montana coach Bobby Hauck for Sunday and longtime head coach Dennis Franchione for Monday, sources said Friday on the condition of confidentiality.

Arizona Wildcat boards are speculating that Sonny Dykes might also be in the mix.

...more detail...
KSU lost their DC Vi Koenning to Ron Zook and Illinois.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/8369/illinois-officially-names-koenning-as-dc

I remember Stoops and Co. painting sweat shop-like conditions in working for Gramps, but why would Koenning make this move? I imagine the money might be a little better, but I'm thinking the job security is down to zilch.

To put himself in a position to be considered for the HC job at Illinois once Zook gets canned.

WV when Richrod left.

Wasn't WVU finishing off a 1-loss season and heading to a BCS bowl? I don't think that fits the profile of promoting from within when replacing a HC who failed. (I think that's the blueprint he was looking for. :confused:)

I said this before when the inevitable discussion of Dave Logan came up. If Dave came to CU as the OC and tore it up to the tune of 35+ points per game, 400+ yards, etc. but the team lost 6-7 games because the defense sucked and the special teams regularly gave up big plays & scores, Logan could be considered for the HC job. It's all a matter of what he does when he's in that position, IMO.

I said this before when the inevitable discussion of Dave Logan came up. If Dave came to CU as the OC and tore it up to the tune of 35+ points per game, 400+ yards, etc. but the team lost 6-7 games because the defense sucked and the special teams regularly gave up big plays & scores, Logan could be considered for the HC job. It's all a matter of what he does when he's in that position, IMO.

I would like to see him be considered for, and for him to consider, being the WR coach for next season.

That could then create opportunities for the future, whether with this staff or another.

The Logan pr machine could definitely pull that one off. Good point.

Wasn't WVU finishing off a 1-loss season and heading to a BCS bowl? I don't think that fits the profile of promoting from within when replacing a HC who failed. (I think that's the blueprint he was looking for. :confused:)

Dabo Swinney

I would like to see him be considered for, and for him to consider, being the WR coach for next season.

That could then create opportunities for the future, whether with this staff or another.

No way in hell Logan comes to CU as WR or ST coach, he's got the greatest gig going now. Voice of the Broncos and has the fun of recruiting kids away from their neighborhood schools.

No way in hell Logan comes to CU as WR or ST coach, he's got the greatest gig going now. Voice of the Broncos and has the fun of recruiting kids away from their neighborhood schools.

The word is that Logan desperately wants the CU HC job. Well, that ain't gonna happen given his current resume. If he really wants to be the HC at CU, then he'll have to be an assistant for a while. He'll have to recruit a kid at the college level. yes, he has tons of experience recruiting kids from the Denver area to play at Mullen, but he's not known outside of Colorado (very well, anyway). Somebody is going to have to tell him that if he really wants the CU job, he'll have to give up his side gigs. I can't imagine that he's hurting for money.

Back