What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching staff is complete

I will also add that I think Brian Lindgren is going to prove to be a really good hire. Excited to see our offense make significant strides under him.

Two top 20 passing offenses in FCS and a top 10 FBS passing offense is pretty damn impressive.

What does it say to you Wizzer?

Picking coachs is a very inexact science; a guy who is very good at one thing, may suck when moved up.
The other thing is the coachs' fraternity shows weird pre-dispositions.

Rachel @ CoachScoop filled in some more background:

"...... Neinas has five years experience coaching special teams and significant experience recruiting in California (especially the Inland Empire schools), Colorado and Texas.

While at San Diego State, he recruited OL Nik Embernate (Yucaipa, Calif.) who was a two-time All-Mountain West pick, and Alec Johnson from Denver (Mullen) who was a two-time All-MWC second team OL, among others. (The team that Chuck Long's staff had recruited at SDSU just went 9-4 last season.)

I don't know Toby myself, but he has a very good reputation in the coaching community. All of the coaches I spoke to have a lot of respect for him.

I'm sure it may seem to be from out of left field, but th
ey all seemed to think he will turn out to be a really good hire for you."

As for the Dad Neinas influence, she had this to say:

"The main conversation I'm referencing was with a coach that had worked with Toby at one of his previous stops. The coach that I talked to is still a college assistant; our conversation was off the record, and I definitely don't think he was speaking to me with any thought that his answer would get back to Chuck one way or the other. (He knew that I don't know Chuck and that I wasn't going to use what we were talking about in my article.) He said that Toby was very smart, hard working, organized and detail-oriented. As a recruiter, said that he does a nice job identifying talent and bonding with kids/families/high school coaches.

I asked him specifically if he thought Toby's dad was pulling strings to help his son, and he said, in fact that he understood it to be the opposite. (That Chuck goes out of his way to stay out of Toby's career.) His quote was, "If Chuck was helping him get jobs, do you think he'd have been coaching at Montana State last year?" He definitely had a point there. "

h/t CoachScoop and NetBuffs.com

Coach Mac things way too much of special teams to hire a guy as a favor to Bohn or the guys' Dad. I'm sure Neinas wanted to come here and work near his folks.

Coach Mac decided he was the guy. We'll know more in a few years...

For what it's worth, Ringo in his chat said there was a lot of interest from outsiders for jobs on this staff. MM went with the coaches he felt most comfortable with. If that gives anyone peace of mind.

For what it's worth, Ringo in his chat said there was a lot of interest from outsiders for jobs on this staff. MM went with the coaches he felt most comfortable with. If that gives anyone peace of mind.
That'll probably just open up more bitching...

9/10 times, your next job is a direct result from the success or failure at your very last job. Not the job you held years ago.

FWIW, Montana St went 11-2 last year, with a win over Sac State. At Sac State. :thumbsup:

So Brown ends up at 'bama. What does say to you?
Brown received a salary cut and a title demotion as a result of his work as DC at CU. Don't be confused by the fact Alabama is signing his checks, this was a major step back for his career. When it comes to paying bills, retirement, no one wants to move backwards financially in their career. But as I said, your next job is a reflection of success or failure at your very last job.

That'll probably just open up more bitching...

Not from me. Ringo saying there was a lot of interest in a CU job is not something he wants to put into print. Must be true, because he'd prefer to report the opposite.

Picking coachs is a very inexact science; a guy who is very good at one thing, may suck when moved up.

"...... Neinas has five years experience coaching special teams and significant experience recruiting in California (especially the Inland Empire schools), Colorado and Texas.

While at San Diego State, he recruited OL Nik Embernate (Yucaipa, Calif.) who was a two-time All-Mountain West pick, and Alec Johnson from Denver (Mullen) who was a two-time All-MWC second team OL, among others. (The team that Chuck Long's staff had recruited at SDSU just went 9-4 last season.)

I don't know Toby myself, but he has a very good reputation in the coaching community. All of the coaches I spoke to have a lot of respect for him.

"The main conversation I'm referencing was with a coach that had worked with Toby at one of his previous stops. The coach that I talked to is still a college assistant; our conversation was off the record, and I definitely don't think he was speaking to me with any thought that his answer would get back to Chuck one way or the other. (He knew that I don't know Chuck and that I wasn't going to use what we were talking about in my article.) He said that Toby was very smart, hard working, organized and detail-oriented. As a recruiter, said that he does a nice job identifying talent and bonding with kids/families/high school coaches.

I asked him specifically if he thought Toby's dad was pulling strings to help his son, and he said, in fact that he understood it to be the opposite. (That Chuck goes out of his way to stay out of Toby's career.) His quote was, "If Chuck was helping him get jobs, do you think he'd have been coaching at Montana State last year?" He definitely had a point there. "

yikes. solid non-answer

No one knows how this is going to turn out. But I am not happy because it does not appear to be going in the right direction. This staff does not inspire confidence with many of the fans (as demonstrated by threads on these boards).

A big part of the issue is promises by the AD after the former staff was fired. Pronouncements were made that it would be BCS level coach and that CU was going to be very competitive in finding a staff because of a commitment of a large salary pool for assistants. These statements were made because of fans questioning the commitment of CU to winning Football and this was suppose to ease fans' concerns. Now the execution of these promises seems to be coming up short, fans of course are going to go back to the fundamental question of commitment of CU to its football program.

History tells me what us fans think tends to be wrong on more counts than not. We don't really know how good any of these guys are, and frankly, are these great BCS recruiters all that available to come here?

Some of these guys could be great recruiters and that's not known yet because NOBODY followed SJSU's recruiting. "Did they beat out NMSU for that guy? Fantastic!" Suddenly, Denver Johnson is winning an award as a great recruiter. The same Denver Johnson who couldn't get an instate O-Lineman if his life depended on it.

People bitched EXACTLY like this when Tad Boyle was hired. His track record was impeccable, but it wasn't enough.

Bohn advertised what the job would pay and how much was available for assistant's. He did that because the job was seen as GARBAGE. Hawkins openly had made excuses about not having the budget to get assistants and keep them (yes, the 1 year contracts still apply). Embree was hired on the cheap and he paid his assistants more, but still the reputation was - CU won't pay, and then there's those damn 1 year contracts. Bohn (and others) felt they needed to get the message out there that CU was ready to support football. When they did that, they were committed to paying some bucks. Good!

Did Coach Mac overpay his guys? Not sure yet. I'm sure his two coordinators were going to make some money. That strength coach was writing his ticket. Anyone who thinks those guys were going to re-up at SJSU for what they were making and their only option was a slight raise at CU are dreaming. I hope HCMM pays his guys what they are worth. No excuses. Now let's focus on getting the team better, as a perception of "turnaround" will far outweigh the work of some well known recruiter.

So either he's smart and he is signing up exactly what he wants or he's an IDOT taking care of his buddies and Mike Bohn's buddies. I sort of give him a little more benefit of the doubt than the latter.

Picking coaches is an inexact science to an extent, but when you look at a resume of a longtime assistant coach like Brown (55 years old and 30 years of experience at various levels), what does his resume tell you? It seems reasonable to conclude he has a lot of respect in the industry as a secondary coach. Not so coincidentally, that is the position he now holds at Alabama. There is little relevance of him being hired at Alabama and his last two years at CU. It was a questionable hire on many levels that proved to be a complete disaster. Put another way: would you rather have Kent Baer or Greg Brown as the DC? Nothing is ever guaranteed, but any halfway reasonable college football fan would say Baer in a second.

So then moving to Neinas and taking the comments from Football Scoop into account, there are several questions raised.

He has five years experience as a special teams coach, but simply having experience does not mean you are well qualified. Let's take a closer look at those five years and actually examine what happened on the field:

Year
Net Punting
Punt Returns
Kickoff Returns
Punt Return Yardage Defense
Kickoff Return Yardage Defense

Easy to see why he was demoted after that 2010 season. Overall, he has five years experience and it is a pretty uneven record. Lots of coaches have good reputations, but that does not mean coaches are lining up at Neinas' front door to hire him to coach their special teams. So now we have to hope his previous stints coaching special teams at two non-BCS schools will not repeat itself against better competition in the PAC-12. Do you see where people might not be jumping for joy at that thought?

I hope the recruiting info is correct, but you seem to want it both ways. You spent the weeks leading up to signing day defending the new staff's recruiting because they had been at San Jose State and thus could not be expected to go head-to-head with fellow BCS schools and you harped on the point that recruiting is now a 2-3 year process for many players. So maybe you can explain to me how Neinas solves that dilemma, given his recent coaching stops?

It is more than reasonable to question the hire.

So I was sort of hoping that we may be ending up with a HCMM / Neinas story about special teams that mirrored the reported conversation with Lindgren when he came to San Jose State. I.e. "here's our special teams playbook and practice plan - learn it, execute it."

Then I looked up SJSU's special team's performance the past three years:

PuntingOpponent
Punt Return
Opponent
Kick Return
Punt
Returns
Kick
Returns
2010 Rank729055976
2011 Rank2973606661
2012 Rank58774411310

That looks pretty average, and fairly inconsistent. Granting that average would be an improvement for us, it would have been nicer to know that HCMM has a successful special teams plan, and just needed someone to execute it.

So you are adding to the bitching... by bitching about the bitching? Good call.

I laid out my reasons for why I think Neinas is a really bad hire. I think he is the worst hire on the new staff. Sorry if that offends you.

Back