What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

Howell has mentioned that he knows they all have offsets in their contracts. And in response to @leftybuff’s post, yes it seems like a lot but I really believe a P5 Athletic Department should be able to scrape up $10 Million at one time, and a much easier time scraping it up over multiple years

Link please.

Screw bringing in Jeff Grimes, bring in Rick Grimes. We need a kick ass and take names HC.
images
**** no. That guy is the worst leader in television history.

Why is Fedora suddenly a big want at OC?
Great experience as an OC at some big programs, enough that he got two head coaching jobs and his offenses at UNC have generally been pretty good outside of this season. I am pretty confident in him getting a good salary as an OC if he wants to do that.

Great experience as an OC at some big programs, enough that he got two head coaching jobs and his offenses at UNC have generally been pretty good outside of this season. I am pretty confident in him getting a good salary as an OC if he wants to do that.

I know his background, but I would worry a little about hiring several recently fired assistants. The burnout factor could be pretty high.

Stop worrying about the money. That is what RG was brought here to handle and figuring out the 2nd most important position in the AD is primary job, if/when he decides to fire MM. I know we're not a program in the market for a $5m/year+ HC and $1m/year+ coordinators, but I don't see any way he fires MM and then just goes right to the bargain bin because of the financial commitment they would owe MM and staff.

Some coaches even take a year off/away from football when they get fired so we would be on the hook for that
Standard contract language says that they have to pursue other coaching opportunities or else they don't get paid.

If they announce that they're taking a year off, great! We don't have to pay them for that year.

Incidentally, this is why Miles has "expressed interest" in virtually every major opening of the last few years, if he didn't and just admitted that he was taking a couple years off (or maybe even retiring for good), the LSU money would stop flowing.

Standard contract language says that they have to pursue other coaching opportunities or else they don't get paid.

If they announce that they're taking a year off, great! We don't have to pay them for that year.

Incidentally, this is why Miles has "expressed interest" in virtually every major opening of the last few years, if he didn't and just admitted that he was taking a couple years off (or maybe even retiring for good), the LSU money would stop flowing.
Some contracts are like that and some are not. Sumlin's buyout was completely guaranteed and paid out immediately. Coaches can try to look for jobs and if it doesn't work out they still get their money, it happens quite a bit.

I know his background, but I would worry a little about hiring several recently fired assistants. The burnout factor could be pretty high.
Doesn’t it happen every year all over the place? Maybe being relieved of the pressure of being HC would allow him to recharge and get back to being a really good offensive coach. He was a really good offensive coach.

Stop worrying about the money. That is what RG was brought here to handle and figuring out the 2nd most important position in the AD is primary job, if/when he decides to fire MM. I know we're not a program in the market for a $5m/year+ HC and $1m/year+ coordinators, but I don't see any way he fires MM and then just goes right to the bargain bin because of the financial commitment they would owe MM and staff.

I guarantee you that Rick George is worried about money for the AD.- CUAD made $192 profit last year. Donations to the AD were ~$ 7.4 million. Taking on a $15 million hit by firing the staff will weigh heavy when there is not a big sugar daddy to pick up the tab. I fully expect MacIntyre to be here for another year. He wins 1 game and goes to a bowl it is really easy to justify.

Doesn’t it happen every year all over the place? Maybe being relieved of the pressure of being HC would allow him to recharge and get back to being a really good offensive coach. He was a really good offensive coach.

I just looked at the fired P5 coaches from last season. None of them ended up being a coordinator at a new school. Maybe that is an outlier.

I guarantee you that Rick George is worried about money for the AD.- CUAD made $192 profit last year. Donations to the AD were ~$ 7.4 million. Taking on a $15 million hit by firing the staff will weigh heavy when there is not a big sugar daddy to pick up the tab. I fully expect MacIntyre to be here for another year. He wins 1 game and goes to a bowl it is really easy to justify.
Howell said the money is there to move on from MM if RG wants to do so. Until proven otherwise, I'll take that at face value. I'll also assume RG is an intelligent business man who understands the opportunity cost of keeping a below average HC and staff around in the only significant revenue generating sport for CU and the lost season ticket sales, donations, walk up ticket sales, concessions, etc. that would be a result. If they have to go into the red again for a short period of time to make things work and get the program (and ultimately the entire Athletic Department) back to a competitive level, then so be it. Short term thinking like this isn't going to advance the program or AD.

I just looked at the fired P5 coaches from last season. None of them ended up being a coordinator at a new school. Maybe that is an outlier.
Seems like a pretty common landing spot for fired P5 coaches unless they go G5 or were good enough to land a lesser P5 job.

In any case I suggested him in context of a Miles HC hire - everyone is concerned with him producing a competent offense and Fedora was a very good offensive coach who shares a common connection in OSU/Gundy. It was just a thought and I’m not even sure he’ll be fired, though it seems likely.

Howell said the money is there to move on from MM if RG wants to do so. Until proven otherwise, I'll take that at face value. I'll also assume RG is an intelligent business man who understands the opportunity cost of keeping a below average HC and staff around in the only significant revenue generating sport for CU and the lost season ticket sales, donations, walk up ticket sales, concessions, etc. that would be a result. If they have to go into the red again for a short period of time to make things work and get the program (and ultimately the entire Athletic Department) back to a competitive level, then so be it. Short term thinking like this isn't going to advance the program or AD.
I don't doubt that he can make a move, my response was that it will likely have an impact on the budget for years to come.

I think if CU wins 1 more to make a bowl HCMM is back. If we win the next 2 he will definitely be back. If the Buffs keep the last three close, and lose all 3? He might still be back. There has been just enough wins and injuries this season to be hidden behind to save a job.

I think if CU wins 1 more to make a bowl HCMM is back. If we win the next 2 he will definitely be back. If the Buffs keep the last three close, and lose all 3? He might still be back. There has been just enough wins and injuries this season to be hidden behind to save a job.
The goalposts are getting ready to move.

Some contracts are like that and some are not. Sumlin's buyout was completely guaranteed and paid out immediately. Coaches can try to look for jobs and if it doesn't work out they still get their money, it happens quite a bit.
I guess I just don't understand the chicken little complex that surrounds CU football fans.

OMG, we have to pay out $10 million dollars to fire our coach!

Umm, it's about $3.5 million a year for 3 years, and it's offset by other earnings.

OMG, some of Jimmy Sexton's clients get Sweetheart deals with no offset clauses!

We have legitimate reporters with inside sources that are telling us there is offset language.

OMG, what if the offset doesn't include the stipulation that the fired coaches have to look for a new job! What then?

JFC, grow a pair of balls and quit inventing things to worry about.

Reliable sources are telling us that the AD has the budget to fire MM if it's deemed necessary. Quit imagining every possible negative and let RG do his damn job.

Lol so what scenario do you think he's fired in? Seems like the only one you've kind of left open is if he gets blown out in all 3 remaining games.

Lol so what scenario do you think he's fired in? Seems like the only one you've kind of left open is if he gets blown out in all 3 remaining games.
Being a 40+ year fan of the Buffs, not really sure. The CU administration has never proved to me the importance of winning football games. I am in put up or shut up mode at this point. Everyone talks what a great leader RG is, well it's time to show it or he is going to be just like the ADs of the past. Slow to move. Sometimes in life if you know it's inevitable? then just ****ing do it.

Being a 40+ year fan of the Buffs, not really sure. The CU administration has never proved to me the importance of winning football games. I am in put up or shut up mode at this point. Everyone talks what a great leader RG is, well it's time to show it or he is going to be just like the ADs of the past. Slow to move. Sometimes in life if you know it's inevitable? then just ****ing do it.
Ahh the big bad boogie man that is the CU administration vs the football program. A myth that continually gets perpetuated by the older generation of fans

Back