What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

If Larry Fedora is the offensive coordinator, I'd be on board with this.....but I'm not hearing a lot about him leaving UNC right now, and **** no to Kurt Roper staying on in that capacity. Here's where I'm at on the assistants-Chev is a damn good recruiter, and I'd like to keep him in a role similar to what he had before Lindgren left. Got an open mind on Kwahn Drake and Darian Hagan, but that's about it. Howell also said today he thinks RG would favor a younger guy-Blake Anderson or Littrell?
Blake Anderson over Litrell IMO.

i'd look at some p5 coordinators in addition to non-p5 hcs... our last 2 g5 coaches haven't lit the world on fire. our last p5 coordinator, one Bill M., kicked some ass.

If Larry Fedora is the offensive coordinator, I'd be on board with this.....but I'm not hearing a lot about him leaving UNC right now, and **** no to Kurt Roper staying on in that capacity. Here's where I'm at on the assistants-Chev is a damn good recruiter, and I'd like to keep him in a role similar to what he had before Lindgren left. Got an open mind on Kwahn Drake and Darian Hagan, but that's about it. Howell also said today he thinks RG would favor a younger guy-Blake Anderson or Littrell?
Did Howell actually mention Anderson and Littrell or did he just say a younger guy?

I don’t see the appeal of those two particularly. Anderson is following one year stints by Hugh Freeze, Malzahn, and Harsin immediately before him and they all won there too.

I’d rather get an established P5 coordinator from a big program than roll the dice again on a G5 coach.

Blake Anderson over Litrell IMO.

I like him a lot, and I'd want him to bring Trooper Taylor (coached at Oklahoma State, Auburn, and Tennessee-has previously been recognized as a top 25 recruiter 6 different times while at Tennessee and Auburn) with him.

Did Howell actually mention Anderson and Littrell or did he just say a younger guy?

I don’t see the appeal of those two particularly. Anderson is following one year stints by Hugh Freeze, Malzahn, and Harsin immediately before him and they all won there too.

I’d rather get an established P5 coordinator from a big program than roll the dice again on a G5 coach.

But you see the appeal of Greg Schiano, which is interesting to me because he's never coached anywhere we recruit in. Did you see what the Nubs did to his defense by the way? I'll take Jimmy Lake or Jim Leavitt over him. Anderson has flipped the roster at Arkansas State, and won two conference titles in the process.

Last edited:
Like Greg Schiano? Lol you see what the Nubs did to his defense?
You mean in that game Ohio State won? Are we looking for a head coach or a DC anyway?

By the way, did you see what the mighty 4-5 Rajun Cajuns did to Blake Anderson’s defense last week? But don’t let his losing record in the Sun Belt this year fool you, Anderson is a winner!!

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mark Helfrich is considered. Not saying he’d be a good choice but I’ll bet he’s looked at.

Les is too old???

He is 64 years old (Saban is 67) and in pretty good health! He has the national name recognition. You can play off the fact he was a coach at Colorado from 1982-1987 as Mac 1 built the program. He has the Southeast and Texas recruiting ties, and IF he could hire a good staff (keeping Chiv WR, Drake DL, Roper QB, and possibly Els LB and Brown) plus make a great DC hire and other hires would solidify national attention and likely keep all the recruits intact and maybe get us a few 4* kids at the finish line.

One problem that I have is that Assistants are assistants for a reason. It would help if they go down to the MAC or the AAC and run a program and show that they are a good organizer and game manager before they are hired as a P5 Head Coach. A Young assistant may be a great hire over time, but I think we lose recruits, may need to go through an evolution of assistant coaches, and we would get NO National Attention whatsoever, whereas Les Miles would get paid attention to and we would get Sportscenter eyeballs on it.

You mean in that game Ohio State won? Are we looking for a head coach or a DC anyway?

By the way, did you see what the mighty 4-5 Rajun Cajuns did to Blake Anderson’s defense last week?

Dude-again, Schiano has ZERO experience anywhere we recruit. Never coached in Texas, Louisiana, or anywhere in the west. He fits at Illinois, and Rutgers should be all over him if they make a change.............but he doesn't fit here in my opinion.

But you see the appeal of Greg Schiano, which is interesting to me because he's never coached anywhere we recruit in. Did you see what the Nubs did to his defense by the way? I'll take Jimmy Lake or Jim Leavitt over him. Anderson has flipped the roster at Arkansas State, and won two conference titles in the process.
He’s in year 5, won conference titles in year 2 and 3 (thanks Hugh and Gus for the talent) and this year has a losing record in the Sun Belt. Yippee.

Dude-again, Schiano has ZERO experience anywhere we recruit. Never coached in Texas, Louisiana, or anywhere in the west. He fits at Illinois, and Rutgers should be all over him if they make a change.............but he doesn't fit here in my opinion.
He was one of many coaches I threw out there. Still a better option than Anderson IMO, or are we enamored with his experience in New Mexico almost 20 years ago?

Les is too old???

He is 64 years old (Saban is 67) and in pretty good health! He has the national name recognition. You can play off the fact he was a coach at Colorado from 1982-1987 as Mac 1 built the program. He has the Southeast and Texas recruiting ties, and IF he could hire a good staff (keeping Chiv WR, Drake DL, Roper QB, and possibly Els LB and Brown) plus make a great DC hire and other hires would solidify national attention and likely keep all the recruits intact and maybe get us a few 4* kids at the finish line.

One problem that I have is that Assistants are assistants for a reason. It would help if they go down to the MAC or the AAC and run a program and show that they are a good organizer and game manager before they are hired as a P5 Head Coach. A Young assistant may be a great hire over time, but I think we lose recruits, may need to go through an evolution of assistant coaches, and we would get NO National Attention whatsoever, whereas Les Miles would get paid attention to and we would get Sportscenter eyeballs on it.

What I've bolded is the key in your post. You shoot your argument down on your own because you follow that up by saying he should keep half the current staff.

The injury excuse is especially annoying.
I was talking to someone about this the other night.

The biggest injury we are dealing with right now, is to our top WR. That is not a position where a prolonged injury should lead your team to losing 7 games.

We still have our starting QB, RB, TE's, OL (once they decide on what the starting OL is), and 2/4 primary receivers.

The defense is largely intact, losing a rs-freshman corner.

The injury excuse is just silly. If your team can't handle losing a WR and a DB, that is a direct reflection on coaching and roster management. In fact, I would argue that the "injury" excuse, makes the job this coaching staff has done even worse.

The biggest injury we are dealing with right now, is to our top WR. That is not a position where a prolonged injury should lead your team to losing 7 games.

We still have our starting QB, RB, TE's, OL (once they decide on what the starting OL is), and 2/4 primary receivers.

The injury excuse is just silly. If your team can't handle losing a WR and a DB, that is a direct reflection on coaching and roster management. In fact, I would argue that the "injury" excuse, makes the job this coaching staff has done even worse.
Imagine where this team would be without Viska. Probably 2-7 with losses to Nebraska (for sure) and ASU (for sure), and probably UCLA. With him, they beat OSU and Zona, so an argument could be made that his presence or lack thereof is directly worth 5 games to this point.

The OL thing probably annoys me more than anything else.

I agree it's an annoying excuse. But, Howell mentioned something interesting re: Worthington. Since he went out of the game vs. OSU, the CU defense has given up 80 points in six quarters (plus an overtime), including 8 passing TDs. Yikes.

Secondary has been pretty annoying as well. I'd rather be playing press than 7 to 10 off receivers.

Let's remember the environment in which RG inked MM's extension.

1. National COY.
2. Embarrassed at Alamo Bowl.

From post game reports, it sounded like RG was pissed at the bowl game performance.

Given that, how do you think he sold the extension to the regents?

Did he
A. Go all in and say HCMM was THE man, and we had to give him raise and make we sure keep him, or
B. He's performed, he got COY recognition, a raise and extension are something that he's earned and it's something we have to do if we want to have a shred of a decent reputation if/when we hire another coach

One of those is hard to walk back 2 years later, the other one - not so much.

Given what we know about RG, which pitch do you really think he made?

i'd look at some p5 coordinators in addition to non-p5 hcs... our last 2 g5 coaches haven't lit the world on fire. our last p5 coordinator, one Bill M., kicked some ass.
Despite our poor track record with G5 head coaches, I would not want the AD to arbitrarily decide not to interview any. Matt Campbell, the current darling of the college football universe (deservedly so), came to ISU after being a G5 HC.

Why limit the candidate pool?

Despite our poor track record with G5 head coaches, I would not want the AD to arbitrarily decide not to interview any. Matt Campbell, the current darling of the college football universe (deservedly so), came to ISU after being a G5 HC.

Why limit the candidate pool?
Yep. Urban Meyer came from G5, although he did good things with two different G5 programs. Chris Petersen came from G5, Tom Herman came from G5, etc. I would bet there are more success stories from those guys than P5 coordinator to P5 HC situations. There are a lot of failures as well, but it’s the most common path.

Yep. Urban Meyer came from G5, although he did good things with two different G5 programs. Chris Petersen came from G5, Tom Herman came from G5, etc. I would bet there are more success stories from those guys than P5 coordinator to P5 HC situations. There are a lot of failures as well, but it’s the most common path.
I agree in not arbitrarily limiting the search, but there doesn’t seem to be any real hot G5 coaches this year like Herman, Meyer, Peterson etc. Those guys were so obviously P5 coaches that they jumped right to major programs - same with guys like Tressel. The Matt Campbells of the coaching world seem to be rarer, but maybe I’m wrong.

I'm not advocating the opposite either. There are many examples of P5 coordinators who have moved up as well.

There are plenty of valid reasons to disqualify candidates. I'd just like to avoid meaningless/arbitrary ones.

I'm not advocating the opposite either. There are many examples of P5 coordinators who have moved up as well.

There are plenty of valid reasons to disqualify candidates. I'd just like to avoid meaningless/arbitrary ones.
So out of curiosity I looked at the teams currently in the AP top 25. The breakdown of where those head coaches came from at their previous stop looks like this:

2 were previously NFL HC
4 were previously P5 HC
11 were previously P5 assistants
8 were previously G5 coaches

Last edited:
So out of curiosity I looked at the teams currently in the AP top 25. The breakdown of where those head coaches came from looks like this:

2 were previously NFL HC
5 were previously P5 HC
11 were previously P5 assistants
7 were previously G5 coaches
Are you looking at where they came from prior to their first P5 job or where they came from prior to where they are right now?

I looked at what job they had immediately before their current HC gig.
Hmm I think the more relevant thing to look at would be what job they had immediately before the first HC gig. I’d like to know how many that are finding success this season came from G5 HC opposes to P5 Asst.

Examples, Saban came from NFL before MSU, Urban came from G5 before Florida, Dani was P5 AC before HC, Harbaugh NFL, Paul Chryst was P5 AC before Pitt HC, etc.

I think that would be more telling considering I don’t really think CU is in position to poach a current successful P5 HC (Maybe Broehm?)

AP Top 10
1. Saban - NFL DC before MSU HC
2. Dabo - Clemson WR before Clemson HC
3. Brian Kelly - G5 (Cincy) before ND HC
4. Harbaugh - G5 (San Diego) before Stanford HC
5. Kirby Smart - Bama DC before UGA HC
6. Riley - OU OC before OU HC
7. Holgerson - Okie lite OC before WVU HC
8. Urban - G5 (Utah) before Florida HC
9. Orgeron - USC AC before Ole Miss
10. Wazzu - OU OC before TTU HC

6 of the top 10 were P5 assistants, 3 were G5 HC and 1 came from the NFL.

Hmm I think the more relevant thing to look at would be what job they had immediately before the first HC gig. I’d like to know how many that are finding success this season came from G5 HC opposes to P5 Asst.

Examples, Saban came from NFL before MSU, Urban came from G5 before Florida, Dani was P5 AC before HC, Harbaugh NFL, Paul Chryst was P5 AC before Pitt HC, etc.

I think that would be more telling considering I don’t really think CU is in position to poach a current successful P5 HC (Maybe Broehm?)
I edited my post above - I think I counted Brian Kelly in the P5 coach number but he was a G5 coach previously.

Urban, Leach, Franklin, and Mullen were the P5 coaches who moved so if you look at where those guys came from before their first P5 HC job the numbers look like this:

2 NFL HC
14 P5 assistants
9 G5 Coaches

Edit: and shift Harbaugh over to G5 if you’re looking at first P5 job - he and Saban are the outliers with the NFL stops in between P5 gigs.

I edited my post above - I think I counted Brian Kelly in the P5 coach number but he was a G5 coach previously.

Urban, Leach, Franklin, and Mullen were the P5 coaches who moved so if you look at where those guys came from before their first P5 HC job the numbers look like this:

2 NFL HC
14 P5 assistants
9 G5 Coaches
Definitely not what I expected to see. Can’t draw definitive conclusions but it does lend an idea to the fact that P5 Asst Coaches might be better suited

Back