What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

Definitely not what I expected to see. Can’t draw definitive conclusions but it does lend an idea to the fact that P5 Asst Coaches might be better suited
All it really tells me is that NFL coaches and assistants do not want college jobs unless you pay them 8 figures a year.

Leader. Innovative. Recruiter. Developer, program, player, staff.

I don’t care where they come from. I lean to a HC and not a coordinator.

Babers is today’s choice.

Leader. Innovative. Recruiter. Developer, program, player, staff.

I don’t care where they come from. I lean to a HC and not a coordinator.

Babers is today’s choice.

Babers is a very nice option. I don’t know if colorado is a better job than the one he’s in at the moment.

Heh...hey...hey you guys...

Heh I just thought how funny it would be if there was an actual “Coaching Staff”. Like a real one. Like a wizard would carry.

...might be more effective, just trying to think outside the box here.

All it really tells me is that NFL coaches and assistants do not want college jobs unless you pay them 8 figures a year.
They may not WANT college jobs, but obviously they take them all the time.

So we’re stuck with an unsuccessful NFL coach or a successful D2 coach. Would be nice to be a candidate for a successful D1 coach, but we can **** in one hand and wish in the other and see which gets filled first. I’m guessing the one with the ****.

...the **** is our coach.

So you guys did some nice research and it jives with what I have seen over the years. Assistants at P5 schools, especially coordinators, have a lot on their plate. The amount of time a P5 assistant spends on the road recruiting as the progress through their career is ridiculous. The amount of assistant coaches and grad assistants they work with over the years is also a high number.

So why does there seem to be this thought that a coordinator or assistant coach will struggle with so many aspects of being a head coach?

So you guys did some nice research and it jives with what I have seen over the years. Assistants at P5 schools, especially coordinators, have a lot on their plate. The amount of time a P5 assistant spends on the road recruiting as the progress through their career is ridiculous. The amount of assistant coaches and grad assistants they work with over the years is also a high number.

So why does there seem to be this thought that a coordinator or assistant coach will struggle with so many aspects of being a head coach?

There's an adjustment that's gotta be made-you're not just the CEO of one side of the ball.......both sides. I remember a story about a practice that Cabral told during his interim stint-The offense made a good play, and he joked he was so used to focusing on the defensive side of the ball that he almost forgot to congratulate the offense. That's not a great example, but its sort of proves the point. If we go this way, Leavitt does make a lot of sense because he's been in the big chair before. What I'd want to know with a guy like Lake (because he's never been a head coach before) is who would he go get as an OC?

He said: "In my opinion, yes, I think a 6-6 finish leads to a coaching change." in his chat.

Don't know if he said anything more definitive.

He's been pretty consistent about HCMM's situation since the Oregon State meltdown-7 wins and he stays. Anything short of that and he's gone.

not that I'm asking anyone to do it, but it'd be interesting to see how many years someone spent as an assistant before the move up..

I suppose that's my only hesitation on Jimmy Lake. Not a DC for that long and only 1 year really being in charge and calling the plays makes me a little scared.

He's been pretty consistent about HCMM's situation since the Oregon State meltdown-7 wins and he stays. Anything short of that and he's gone.
That’s not what he said. He said he believed he would have to go 3-1 over the last four and anything less was very suspect.

There's an adjustment that's gotta be made-you're not just the CEO of one side of the ball.......both sides. I remember a story about a practice that Cabral told during his interim stint-The offense made a good play, and he joked he was so used to focusing on the defensive side of the ball that he almost forgot to congratulate the offense. That's not a great example, but its sort of proves the point. If we go this way, Leavitt does make a lot of sense because he's been in the big chair before. What I'd want to know with a guy like Lake (because he's never been a head coach before) is who would he go get as an OC?

Of course there is an adjustment, but I think a lot of CU fans think the learning curve is impossible, which just seems strange.

As far as Leavitt, would be interested to hear why he is a good fit in CU's situation. We are trying to take the next step as a program, so what exactly does his time at USF give so many people this confidence he is a great fit?

There's been a lot of buzz about bringing back Gary Barnett. Sounds like a lot of great thinkers are predicting he'll be our savior as HCGB.
Can we stop with this? 01 - fantastic, 2016-like. 02 - totally underperformed. Every other year we won the Big XII north we finished like 4-4 in the division and were just the sacrificial lamb to get slaughtered by the south. 03-05 were mediocre at best and we couldn’t recruit to save our lives. Thank goodness for ISU, Kansas, Texas Tech, and Bill Callahan.

Can we stop with this? 01 - fantastic, 2016-like. 02 - totally underperformed. Every other year we won the Big XII north we finished like 4-4 in the division and were just the sacrificial lamb to get slaughtered by the south. 03-05 were mediocre at best and we couldn’t recruit to save our lives.
I don't think GB is the right choice right now, but don't forget the self imposed recruiting restrictions that the university put on the program that really handcuffed him the last several years of his tenure.

Shockingly, recruiting restrictions actually hurt recruiting - who could have predicted that?

Ask yourself why he is not already a HC.
So we’re taking anyone that hasn’t been a head coach off the list? I’m assuming him staying put has something to do with the 5 yr $12 mil extension he got making him the highest paid assistant ever.

So we’re taking anyone that hasn’t been a head coach off the list? I’m assuming him staying put has something to do with the 5 yr $12 mil extension he got making him the highest paid assistant ever.

I think Hawg has a legitimate point here. Venables has been a DC for 15 seasons at two high profile schools. Why has he not taken a HC job?

1. He is not interested in being a HC.

2. He is extremely picky about picking the "right" job.

3. He has been approached by other schools and those schools backed off.

I think Hawg has a legitimate point here. Venables has been a DC for 15 seasons at two high profile schools. Why has he not taken a HC job?

Has he interviewed for many jobs that we know of? I’ve just assumed he must come off terribly in interviews.

if we ****ing lose again this weekend, i'm hiring a medium, holding a seance, contacting the Spirit of Knute Rockne and asking him to possess the body of mm and turn him into an HOF coach. or something.

Let's remember the environment in which RG inked MM's extension.

1. National COY.
2. Embarrassed at Alamo Bowl.

From post game reports, it sounded like RG was pissed at the bowl game performance.

Given that, how do you think he sold the extension to the regents?

Did he
A. Go all in and say HCMM was THE man, and we had to give him raise and make we sure keep him, or
B. He's performed, he got COY recognition, a raise and extension are something that he's earned and it's something we have to do if we want to have a shred of a decent reputation if/when we hire another coach

One of those is hard to walk back 2 years later, the other one - not so much.

Given what we know about RG, which pitch do you really think he made?
I have no idea, but I hope it was B.

if we ****ing lose again this weekend, i'm hiring a medium, holding a seance, contacting the Spirit of Knute Rockne and asking him to possess the body of mm and turn him into an HOF coach. or something.
Maybe we should do it pre-emptively. Come on guy, be a team player.

I'll see if Amazon has any deals on candles.

1. Obviously doesn't bode well for CU's chances
2. Obviously doesn't bode well for CU's chances
3. Possibly bodes well for CU's chances, but comes with some red flags

Back