What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

To be reasonable. MM has done a very good job getting the program back to a respectable level. But now is the time to take the program to the “next level”. I understand that Les Miles is not the youngest guy on the block but let’s bring him in to develop the talent that is here and recruit the hell out of Louisiana and Texas for us for 4 to 5 years.

Miles would bring the program instant notoriety and his two calling cards (run game, tough defense) are what the Buffs AND the PAC 12 for that matter are solely lacking. My two cents.

To be reasonable. MM has done a very good job getting the program back to a respectable level. But now is the time to take the program to the “next level”. I understand that Les Miles is not the youngest guy on the block but let’s bring him in to develop the talent that is here and recruit the hell out of Louisiana and Texas for us for 4 to 5 years.

Miles would bring the program instant notoriety and his two calling cards (run game, tough defense) are what the Buffs AND the PAC 12 for that matter are solely lacking. My two cents.
Although I'm still pissed at this team's complete meltdown and blame the coaching staff and come up with pejorative names for MM, my non-lizard brain agrees with you. He took the worst P5 team in CFB and in 4 years made them division champs. I still think he's in over his head and that he is primarily a turnaround guy, but there is no denying we are at least relevant again.

I like the idea of Miles...CU would be getting more press, hopefully better recruiting and maybe more national coverage with a big name hire like that. Either that or a coordinator from the SEC or B1G or pluck a top flight G5 head coach.

GB is 72, LM is 65 this week. Great coaches, but CU should be looking at a long term plan. Tedford at 56 is a great choice if you are looking for someone with a lot of experience. If not Tedford, I would say hire a younger guy.

Mac is a good coach. His failing is recruiting. Pac teams have 2-3 difference makers. We’ve had some, but the lack of consistent four stars makes this a bit of luck. On the line, we’ve had years of guys that are projects. A few projects are great, but they need to be the exception and not the rule.

Hagan really needs to be addressed. The RB situation is and has not been looking good. We should have more options then Evans, and Bish.
To a larger point (and sorry in advance, this post is mostly me just bitching about the current state)- I'm not at all convinced that recruiting has really improved except what would be expected with the opening of the new facilities. '17 recruits were the first to have the facilities upgrades in place for the entire cycle, and CU went from a 247 ranking in the high 60s in '16 to a ranking in the mid 30s for '17. The '18 class was back down to almost 60, and my guess would be that the current class projects out to a finish around 45 or so even though they're at 35 now. Almost all the impact players right now were unheralded projects that panned out (Landman, Montez), guys that fell into their lap (McMillian), or JUCO transfers (Mustafa, Taylor, etc.). There are very few well-thought of signees who have performed at or above the level expected, and I can't think of a single position group (except WR) where the coaches have built upon a foundation for recruiting success- it seems to be ad hoc every single year.

Additionally, but on a seperate point in the "coaching staff" thread- it might have been best in retrospect if Adams had taken that job at UW. I may be wrong, but it seems like he's been a non-factor on the recruiting trail outside of his position grouping, the OL class is underwhelming, and the OL has performed exceedingly poorly and the "musical chairs" **** drives me crazy.

Are there any current staff members that you'd hypothetically keep on a new staff for next year? I would be excited about retaining Chiv for WRs, I'd feel good about Roper for QBs, I could be talked into Brown and Drake, but that's about it.

Mac is a good coach. His failing is recruiting. Pac teams have 2-3 difference makers. We’ve had some, but the lack of consistent four stars makes this a bit of luck. On the line, we’ve had years of guys that are projects. A few projects are great, but they need to be the exception and not the rule.
MAC is not a good coach. MAC is a mediocre coach at best. That Az game on Friday wasn't about difference makers. That OSU game wasn't about difference makers. That USC game wasn't about difference makers. That UTAH game last year wasn't about difference makers. Those were about poor coaching decisions, poor planning, poor adjustments, poor killer instinct, poor hires. Not to mention, his look of complete cluelessness and frustration every time the camera pans to him. The way he acts on the sideline is embarrassing. Petulant child...

You can't separate the two at the college level.

People are going to have to seriously scale back expectations on assistants if RG decides to pull the trigger and pay almost $15 million to get rid of all of these coaches. They aren't going to be in the financial position to poach many guys, let alone out bid for a top of the line coach.

People are going to have to seriously scale back expectations on assistants if RG decides to pull the trigger and pay almost $15 million to get rid of all of these coaches. They aren't going to be in the financial position to poach many guys, let alone out bid for a top of the line coach.
For the 10 millionth time, the AD does not have to pay it all at once, it’s going to be over time and I would almost guarantee every single guy on this staff gets a job at a lower tier school which reduces the payout amount by their new job’s salary. It’s really not as big of a financial issue as it’s being made out to be.

For the 10 millionth time, the AD does not have to pay it all at once, it’s going to be over time and I would almost guarantee every single guy on this staff gets a job at a lower tier school which reduces the payout amount by their new job’s salary. It’s really not as big of a financial issue as it’s being made out to be.
It doesn't really matter when they have to pay it, they are on the hook for a ton of money and we aren't even sure there is offsets with any of the coaches. It doesn't matter if they are spread out over the life of the contract, they are still diminishing cash flows for an AD that is already low on money.

I don't know $10 million is a lot to pay out all at once, especially for CU.

To a larger point (and sorry in advance, this post is mostly me just bitching about the current state)- I'm not at all convinced that recruiting has really improved except what would be expected with the opening of the new facilities. '17 recruits were the first to have the facilities upgrades in place for the entire cycle, and CU went from a 247 ranking in the high 60s in '16 to a ranking in the mid 30s for '17. The '18 class was back down to almost 60, and my guess would be that the current class projects out to a finish around 45 or so even though they're at 35 now. Almost all the impact players right now were unheralded projects that panned out (Landman, Montez), guys that fell into their lap (McMillian), or JUCO transfers (Mustafa, Taylor, etc.). There are very few well-thought of signees who have performed at or above the level expected, and I can't think of a single position group (except WR) where the coaches have built upon a foundation for recruiting success- it seems to be ad hoc every single year.

Additionally, but on a seperate point in the "coaching staff" thread- it might have been best in retrospect if Adams had taken that job at UW. I may be wrong, but it seems like he's been a non-factor on the recruiting trail outside of his position grouping, the OL class is underwhelming, and the OL has performed exceedingly poorly and the "musical chairs" **** drives me crazy.

Are there any current staff members that you'd hypothetically keep on a new staff for next year? I would be excited about retaining Chiv for WRs, I'd feel good about Roper for QBs, I could be talked into Brown and Drake, but that's about it.
Adams has really been a huge disappointment as an O-Line coach. Recruiting improved over Bernardi, but that is a very low bar. The performance of the OL, sans 1 drive against ASU, has been horrible. The thing that bothers me most is switching linemen around every week. It is obvious the OL is struggling to learn one position let alone two. Better continuity should be a good thing, Adams chooses instead to switch it up every week. He is another one I really wanted to succeed, but now I’d like to see him move on.

I’d wouldn’t mind bringing back Jeff Grimes if the BYU staff is let go.
Screw bringing in Jeff Grimes, bring in Rick Grimes. We need a kick ass and take names HC.
images

It doesn't really matter when they have to pay it, they are on the hook for a ton of money and we aren't even sure there is offsets with any of the coaches. It doesn't matter if they are spread out over the life of the contract, they are still diminishing cash flows for an AD that is already low on money.
We’re low on money because our primary asset stinks. Invest in the football program and prove RG is serious about excellence in the AD.

Also as a fan I don’t have to be realistic about anything damnit!

Howell has mentioned that he knows they all have offsets in their contracts. And in response to @leftybuff’s post, yes it seems like a lot but I really believe a P5 Athletic Department should be able to scrape up $10 Million at one time, and a much easier time scraping it up over multiple years

Howell has mentioned that he knows they all have offsets in their contracts. And in response to @leftybuff’s post, yes it seems like a lot but I really believe a P5 Athletic Department should be able to scrape up $10 Million at one time, and a much easier time scraping it up over multiple years
Yes Howell said that but he didn't have any specifics. Some coaches even take a year off/away from football when they get fired so we would be on the hook for that and I don't see Mac getting another high paying head coaching salary so most of that is going to be paid out. No matter what it is a lot of money for this AD to pay out and will have an impact on the salary of the new guys coming in or who we go after in the years to come.

Back