What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado RPI Watch

Hartford loses to a horrible UMBC team in their conference tournament. Ugly way for them to go out after a solid season

And to add to opponent RPI misery, Dayton just lost at the last second in OT by 1 at George Washington, preventing 101 Dayton from being a top 100 win, at least for now

So are we rooting for Baylor bigtime to beat KU? Or won't it help our RPI all that much?

The day may be turning around a bit for us.

Fresno State beat UNLV.
Air Force beat New Mexico.
Baylor beat Kansas.

Murray State with a small 2nd half lead on Belmont (#22 RPI).
TCU beat Oklahoma, which had been 1 spot ahead of us in RPI.

USC losing to Washington State also helps us. Oregon State is a better RPI matchup for us in the Pac-12 Tourney than Wazzu would have been.

This can't help but be an awful day, but there's a chance the damage will be limited.

We are at 37 (dropped from 23). If we lose again next week, say hello to an RPI in the low 40s.

We are at 37 (dropped from 23). If we lose again next week, say hello to an RPI in the low 40s.

Yep. What a nightmare. We're definitely still "in", and I guarantee we beat Oregon State on Wednesday. The irony, however, is we'd actually likely be better off as an 11 seed than as a 9. But still, you obviously have to try and win the Pac-12 Tournament and see where that takes us. Beggars can't be choosers. Let's just make the tournament. We got the "dud" game out of our system and they'll be fired up and ready to show some urgency. God, I just hate ****ing sitting around waiting after a loss like this. If the team hates it half as much as I do, then they'll beat Oregon State by 25 on Wednesday.

Wyoming beats Nevada to set up showdown with New Mexico. Credit to Wyoming for not simply quitting. Pokes now 19-12 RPI 69

Fresno State finishes 11-19 with loss to Colorado State. RPI 122

Wyoming 19-13 after loss to New Mexico. RPI 66. Definitely a case of "What could have been..." for the Pokes had Martinez not been a dumbass and some other key injuries not happened. They likely would have done what Boise State is now doing (playing their way into the Dance). Wyoming presumably will be in the NIT given that their RPI is still a respectable 66 and they have 19 wins. Projected as a 6 seed in the NIT.

To reiterate that this loss does no serious damage, our RPI is actually a spot higher than when we started the day. We sit 35th. I know some mid-majors have been screwed with higher RPI's, but Virginia also got a 4 seed in 2007 with an RPI around 50. We are in zero danger of being left out. 2011 with our 66 RPI and horrible OOC SOS is simply not comparable.

To reiterate that this loss does no serious damage, our RPI is actually a spot higher than when we started the day. We sit 35th. I know some mid-majors have been screwed with higher RPI's, but Virginia also got a 4 seed in 2007 with an RPI around 50. We are in zero danger of being left out. 2011 with our 66 RPI and horrible OOC SOS is simply not comparable.

Tell that to these guys:

http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/85461-2012-13-Bubble-Watch?p=1345848&viewfull=1#post1345848

Posted in the "bubble" thread but think it belong here too.

I'm going to keep my expectations low, so I won't be as crushed as last time.

Night and day difference. 2011 RPI of 66 and OOC SOS of 332. This year it's an RPI of 35 and OOC SOS of 38, Overall SOS is 18. OOC RPI is 13.

We're always going to be suspicious of the committee after 2011, but we're simply not being left out with those numbers. It's locked.

Night and day difference. 2011 RPI of 66 and OOC SOS of 332. This year it's an RPI of 35 and OOC SOS of 38, Overall SOS is 18. OOC RPI is 13.

We're always going to be suspicious of the committee after 2011, but we're simply not being left out with those numbers. It's locked.

Hope you're right.. know we have much better computer numbers and SOS. Still, going to be a nervous Selection Sunday for me though.

Is Gene Smith a member of the selection committee this year?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/14/AR2011031400574.html

Expanding the field to 68 teams was supposed to make this so easy there was no screwing it up. Which, of course, the NCAA selection committee promptly did.

Its single greatest injustice, apparently, was awarding at-large bids to UAB and VCU at the expense of high majors Colorado and Virginia Tech, not to mention several other more-deserving schools.

"My wife knows diddly about basketball," ESPN analyst Dick Vitale howled just minutes after the committee's handiwork hit the airwaves, "but if you put her here and said, 'Look at Colorado's resume, look at UAB, and look at VCU,' it would be an M&Mer - a mismatch, man.

"It would be like a beauty contest, Roseanne Barr walking in vs. Scarlett Johansson. No shot," he paused for effect, "none whatsoever."

Gene Smith, the Ohio State athletic director who led the selection committee, did himself no favors trying to explain how the committee arrived at any of its decisions. In a 45-minute teleconference with reporters, Smith, a master of the obvious, provided few specifics and used the word "great" 24 times to describe either teams, their resumes, coaches, conferences, tournament runs and even the NCAA's new TV partners.

Smith first said he couldn't remember the last team let into the field, then conveniently remembered a few seconds later the selection committee chose not to reveal it.

"It was more difficult, it really was," he said, "because there was so many good teams out there."

Actually, just the opposite is true. The field this year set records for losing: most teams in with 11, 13 and even 14 losses; the five 14-loss teams, in fact, is only one fewer than the total of such teams that made the tournament since the bracket was expanded to 64 teams in 1985.

That was little consolation to coach Seth Greenberg, whose Virginia Tech team was similarly hosed last year. Mid-majors got seven of the 37 at-large bids - roughly the same number they averaged throughout the decade, with three less slots available - but Greenberg wondered aloud, anyway, whether some people on the committee had an agenda.

"I feel for these kids," Greenberg said about his team, then added, "You would hate to think that politics would be involved, but it makes you wonder."

Vitale was even more outraged, saying he'd promised his wife upon leaving church earlier Sunday that he wouldn't scream or make a scene as he had in years past.

"But you know," his on-air rant continued, "I can't take it, man, when I see kids being given a raw deal. And they're getting a raw deal at Virginia Tech, and a raw deal at Colorado."

2013 Selection Committee

http://www.bracketography.com/selection-committee/

Crazy **** can and probably will happen, but it's not going to be CU that's the one that gets completely snubbed this year. Depending on how things play out, the outcry may end up being about Virginia if they go deep in the ACC Tournament and still don't get let in. Or if you want two potential long shot snubs that absolutely that no one saw coming, Cal or Iowa State. Personally, I'd love to see St. Mary's get snubbed, they fact they look to get away with a pathetic OOC as a West Coast Conference team and expect everyone to just let them in pisses me off, yet everyone just laps it up.

Last edited:
2013 Selection Committee

Crazy **** can and probably will happen, but it's not going to be CU that's the one that gets completely snubbed this year. Depending on how things play out, the outcry may end up being about Virginia if they go deep in the ACC Tournament and still don't get let in. Or if you want two potential long shot snubs that absolutely that no one saw coming, Cal or Iowa State. Personally, I'd love to see St. Mary's get snubbed, they fact they look to get away with a pathetic OOC as a West Coast Conference team and expect everyone to just let them in pisses me off, yet everyone just laps it up.

Oklahoma is on the bubble but they have someone from their university on the committee....hmmmmm, I wonder if they will get in.

2013 Selection Committee

Couldn't agree more.

Still at 40 according to live-rpi

Yep, didn't get much in the way of breaks today. Would have been a different story with Arizona and Colorado State winning. Oregon and Kansas need to win tomorrow to give us a last minute boost. Wisconsin is really close to us at 36, but even if they lose to Indiana, doubtful they drop much, if at all. VCU is 28th, hope UMass beats them. NCSU is 29th and plays Miami. Basically, though, if Kansas and Oregon win, we should move up a few spots. The difference between CU and the few teams ahead of us is absolutely razor thin. The tiniest bump could move CU up a few spots. Sure beats sitting 53rd like Cal right now. They're in danger of being shipped to the First Four.

The bottom line is it's most likely CU is a 9 or 10. For avoiding rematches, etc, that may mean an 8 or an 11. There are cases of utterly shocking committee moves, as we know, but it works both ways. You can sometimes end up 'shocked' with a favorable match up.

Last edited:
"I wonder if the committee even knows if the ball is round.". Jay Bilas March 2011

:lol:

He certainly doesn't think very highly of the committee. Granted they have a tough job and in the end there's going to be teams that get screwed or snubbed but as Bilas has also said in the past, "What is the criteria?"

:lol:

He certainly doesn't think very highly of the committee. Granted they have a tough job and in the end there's going to be teams that get screwed or snubbed but as Bilas has also said in the past, "What is the criteria?"
As mad as I was in 2011, I must say they are always going to be a good punching bag. They are *never* going to satisfy everyone. People who follow little cbb suddenly think they can be bracketologists in the middle of March.

Back