What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado vs Michigan 9/17

How good do we think Michigan is and what is our "success" measuring stick? Am I deluded if I think we should be able to lose by 2 scores or so and at least not let it get out of hand by the fourth?
I'd guess we'll be ~20 point underdogs. Covering the spread would be a place to start.

I'd guess we'll be ~20 point underdogs. Covering the spread would be a place to start.
Game flow is more important to me. A tight game through 3.5 quarters concluding with two late Michigan TDs and a 14-point CU loss would be much better than a 28-point halftime deficit cut to 14 with two late TDs against Michigan's second string. Either is a loss and therefore unsatisfactory but both beat a 20-point spread. I think a tight game loss would increase confidence against Oregon the following week, whereas a halftime blowout would hurt confidence. So given the last decade of Buff history, it would be hard to moan & groan too much if we hang with them for most of the game but lose.

Watching the the Michigan game. Taking care of Hawaii as expected.

Interesting tidbit from announcers. They expect 15 true freshman in the two deep this year and 7-8 to eventually start this year. That is a hell of a class but I would have assumed they would have been deeper than that.

We played 17 true freshman on Saturday. More than we all expected. We had a couple of injuries along the the OL, but there were players I was sure we're going to redshirt that played.

Some most certainly did earn their time, though.

We played 17 true freshman on Saturday. More than we all expected. We had a couple of injuries along the the OL, but there were players I was sure we're going to redshirt that played.

Some most certainly did earn their time, though.

I watched a little bit of your game this weekend. It was going pretty much as I expected so I switched games.

What's your take on your next opponent?

Game flow is more important to me. A tight game through 3.5 quarters concluding with two late Michigan TDs and a 14-point CU loss would be much better than a 28-point halftime deficit cut to 14 with two late TDs against Michigan's second string. Either is a loss and therefore unsatisfactory but both beat a 20-point spread. I think a tight game loss would increase confidence against Oregon the following week, whereas a halftime blowout would hurt confidence. So given the last decade of Buff history, it would be hard to moan & groan too much if we hang with them for most of the game but lose.
That's like kissing your sister WTF?

stop the run, have a chance.
It's that simple.
Yup. Out DL made a huge jump this year as evidenced by the fact we took it to CSUs OL which completely dominated us last year. No easy task tho...you guys are a much better team. Should be a good game...I'm guessing low scoring but combined the 2 teams put up over 100 pres last week. I love CFB...never know WTF will happen.

october-3-1994-sports-illustrated-covercollege-football-colorado-in-picture-id109684180

Ughhhh . . . I thought I had wiped that image from my mind.

A couple of years ago I ordered a back copy of it from SI, it still might be able to be ordered even. Hmmm...Christmas gifts.

That's like kissing your sister WTF?
The point was that "beating the spread but losing" can happen in very different ways, some better than others. If being competitive against a top5 team in their stadium isn't good enough for Buff fans with this year's team, I suspect there could be a lot of unhappiness in Buffville. I'm solidly hopeful, but not going to commit to expectations of success (bowl) until we perform well against a couple of good teams.

I recall last year there was a lot of excitement heading into the PAC 12 schedule. There was talk about the fantastic new ground game (based on Nicholls State and UMass). The Hawaii debacle was (hopefully) an aberration. Then we hit the conference and the running game collapsed (well it's hard to catch up by running when you're generally behind). One lone conference win, albeit an important one on the road.

Just saying, as of today I would be very pleased if the game at Michigan is still up for grabs in the 4th quarter, even if we lose. Although a loss in that situation might prove very un-pleasing...

Michigan will shut the buffs running game down. Dare sefo to throw the ball.
That will be our defensive game plan too. I don't know how good their secondary is...if it's comparable to ours we should have a good defensive game.

Aside from the emotional, in-the-moment anger that would be natural in that scenario, the CSU game sure did increase expectations in your mind from where they were prior to last Friday.

I said before the season started that we are in year 4 and the time for moral victories is over.

W = Success
L = Failure

It is now binary.

Be honest. You wouldn't be "happy" if the Buffs had the ball late in the 4th quarter, down 5 with a chance to win the game, but came up short?
If we just need to make one play to win, or fumble away a win late in the game, a loss will be most unhappy. If we sort of 'run out of gas' at the end and Michigan takes over the game, it will still be quite an unhappy event. If we get blown out it will be very unhappy. I guess realistically, winning is the only happy outcome. Perhaps my prior post was too lenient regarding a 'nice loss.'

It comes down to expectations. I don't expect to beat Michigan. As a result, I won't be terribly upset if we lose. But if we win, that will be all kinds of awesome.

I still think this is a 6 or 7 win team. Outside of Stanford, this will likely be our toughest game.

However, I do think they can learn a lot and go in to Oregon and pull the upset. The Ducks are vulnerable, I think.

Back