What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU at Mile High is now the 2nd game for the Rams

Good or bad for CU that the Rams are playing an opener vs OSU ahead of the RMS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it is a huge advantage for CSU to have a game before we do. I absolutely think there is typically large improvement from Week 1 to Week 2. I think this advantage alone is going to make this a close game. Add that to the motivation of this being their most important game of the year and the ass whipping they received the year prior and we are looking at anyone's game.
I get the concept that it could be an advantage for CSU to get some of the wrinkles out but to say it is a "huge advantage" is going way too far, especially when you consider they will be coming off a short week and they are not a P5 team so it will be tough to go against two Pac-12 teams back to back like that.

CSU has always played on the advantage of this game being their banner game for the year, the game that they and their fans focus on. They consistently play above their heads in this game after being focused on it all off-season.

This season that isn't going to be the case. CU will still be important to them but they will have put a lot of energy into trying to win their first game in the new stadium and beat a P5 team in doing it.

I get the concept that it could be an advantage for CSU to get some of the wrinkles out but to say it is a "huge advantage" is going way too far, especially when you consider they will be coming off a short week and they are not a P5 team so it will be tough to go against two Pac-12 teams back to back like that.
I tend to be negative when it comes to the CSU game. So often they come with their absolute best and we come with our B or C effort. I just think teams generally look a lot better in Week 2 and even with a short week, there is no lack of motivation for CSU (they have some weird hatred of us and were embarrassed last year). Plus, on our side, we destroyed them last year, making CSU easy to overlook this year. While maybe the game shouldn't be that close, I think it will be.

I tend to be negative when it comes to the CSU game. So often they come with their absolute best and we come with our B or C effort. I just think teams generally look a lot better in Week 2 and even with a short week, there is no lack of motivation for CSU (they have some weird hatred of us and were embarrassed last year). Plus, on our side, we destroyed them last year, making CSU easy to overlook this year. While maybe the game shouldn't be that close, I think it will be.
Yeah I get it and it very well could be an advantage for them to play a game a week before us I am just disagreeing where you say it could be a huge advantage. It's not like getting some game reps is going to every make a massive difference in a game, it could give them a couple points though.

Any win is acceptable, but it needs to be at least a two score win to be comfortable (even if they manage to pound the beavers).

1 point in the long term.

Really needs to be more than 2 scores though, double digits. As long as the win is less than 10 we are going to spend the rest of the year hearing the sheep fans bleating about the bad breaks and the conspiracy against them and that they really won except for X and Y. We need a shut up score.

Just so we are clear: what is an acceptable margin of victory?
A win is a win, but even with a new defensive staff and losing the D players we did, anything less than a 14+ point win would be a little alarming. That'd either mean our offense isn't as good as we thought, or our defense got torched a little by an above average MW offense. Either scenario doesn't bode well for the season.

A win is a win, but even with a new defensive staff and losing the D players we did, anything less than a 14+ point win would be a little alarming. That'd either mean our offense isn't as good as we thought, or our defense got torched a little by an above average MW offense. Either scenario doesn't bode well for the season.

Which gets to part of the issue for me. The defense may very well have some breakdowns this year, and yet people here and elsewhere seem to be downplaying personnel losses and coaching staff turnover in a big way.

Which gets to part of the issue for me. The defense may very well have some breakdowns this year, and yet people here and elsewhere seem to be downplaying personnel losses and coaching staff turnover in a big way.
But that still shouldn't lead to a situation where a MW team isn't dropping 28+ on us. This is Mac's defense and we have some really good players on that side of the ball, even with the turnover from last year.

But that still shouldn't lead to a situation where a MW team isn't dropping 28+ on us. This is Mac's defense and we have some really good players on that side of the ball, even with the turnover from last year.

He's not calling the plays, so it being "Mac's defense" only goes so far. I guess I am just surprised at the underselling of just how many good to great elements came together on defense in 2016. I doubt one game, let alone the opener, is going to define the defense in 2017.

He's not calling the plays, so it being "Mac's defense" only goes so far. I guess I am just surprised at the underselling of just how many good to great elements came together on defense in 2016. I doubt one game, let alone the opener, is going to define the defense in 2017.
No, but do you really think giving up 28+ to CSU, regardless of the personnel and coaching losses is insignificant because, "it's just week one"?

No, but do you really think giving up 28+ to CSU, regardless of the personnel and coaching losses is insignificant because, "it's just week one"?

Depends on how it plays out. I did not say insignificant either, more that I expect a fair amount of inconsistency on defense this season.

Depends on how it plays out. I did not say insignificant either, more that I expect a fair amount of inconsistency on defense this season.
Fair enough. I expect the defense to give up no more than around 21 points to CSU and the offense to put up no less than 30.

It all comes down to a consistent offense. If it is as consistent as the defense was last year we are in business, especially if special tteams and can step up to competent.

The defense may very well be a step below last year, we have some good talent coming in but we lost some outstanding guys who had been multi-year starters.

That may show up against USC or Utah but it shouldn't make a big difference against an average to slightly better than average MWC team. We should still be more talented at virtually every position against them and they had some losses as well (not like ours but significant.)

If we can't relatively easily beat a team like CSU then we need to be concerned in conference.

I think that's very fair. Arizona, for example, is a game I could see a homer like me taking lightly. And I think that'd be a mistake as there are qualities to that game that make me nervous AF.

CSU doesn't scare me. I never thought all that highly of Bobo before and I think he mistakenly thought CSU would be a quick career jump, which to me is a major strike against him lol. He can attract some WRs and a QB since that's his pedigree, but if their OL is not good or better, then I don't think they have a shot at any of the P5 teams on their schedule. We all know how much fun it is trying to win shootouts every game.

If the game is even remotely close, I'll be disappointed/concerned. They raised the bar last year. I don't expect the same record at the EOY, necessarily, but I do expect them to dominate the ewes on their way to a decent bowl game. 8 wins, 17+ point victory over CSewe.

Back