What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU not ****ing around for once...McElwain expected to be announced as thier coach

You obviously know nothing about the state of Iowa then. They support everyone/every team. Apples to oranges. Iowa State has like 30k season ticket holders alone which is more than CSU's total attendance average by 15k. Good luck with having a 500% increase in season ticket holders in once season (let alone adding 20k more to that).... :lol: This whole situation reminds me of:

images

Bump for cc

Bump for cc

I agree to a point, but I think averaging 40-45K a game is the long term goal CSU needs to get to. Historically this is where Iowa State has usually been. I am not saying it happens overnight. But I do believe that if CSU were to somehow able to work its way into a conference like the Big 12, it could get to those type of numbers.

You don't get into the Big XII without 40k+ attendance. You don't get 40k+ attendance without the Big XII

Also, you guys need to realize that this is entirely privately funded

You mean, CSU needs to have it privately funded as nothing has been funded at all. Big difference. CSU's AD is now leveraged beyond the their revenue means with their new salary increases and buyouts. CSU has their hands out to the tune of a quarter billion dollars to fund a project that has zero guarantee of ROI. Graham can keep talking, but that won't fund anything.

You mean, CSU needs to have it privately funded as nothing has been funded at all. Big difference. CSU's AD is now leveraged beyond the their revenue means with their new salary increases and buyouts. CSU has their hands out to the tune of a quarter billion dollars to fund a project that has zero guarantee of ROI. Graham can keep talking, but that won't fund anything.

The buyouts were paid privately, the coaching salaries are supposedly being paid privately, and I hear they have $30MM approaching $40MM for the new stadium already

The buyouts were paid privately, the coaching salaries are supposedly being paid privately, and I hear they have $30MM approaching $40MM for the new stadium already

Last edited:

I'd like to know the source of that. Few schools have a bigger history of grand illusions and groundless hope than CSU. A bunch of CSU fans turning speculation into $40MM doesn't make it true. If they have it I would bet that much of it is contingent on other very shaky things.

Bottom line, I will believe it when they are pouring concrete.

To be fair the rumored $40MM is in pledges. The money has not been raised nor is it in the possession of the University as I understand it. Regardless, if true its a nice number to start and particularly impressive considering no public capital fundraising campaign has been launched. I would expect to see something like that develop early next year.

I'd like to know the source of that. Few schools have a bigger history of grand illusions and groundless hope than CSU. A bunch of CSU fans turning speculation into $40MM doesn't make it true. If they have it I would bet that much of it is contingent on other very shaky things.

Bottom line, I will believe it when they are pouring concrete.

Perhaps they have a committee of 50 boosters who are all going to donate $1 million each.
I hear that's the Plan in Boulder ... :doh:

To be fair the rumored $40MM is in pledges. The money has not been raised nor is it in the possession of the University as I understand it. Regardless, if true its a nice number to start and particularly impressive considering no public capital fundraising campaign has been launched. I would expect to see something like that develop early next year.

WTF will you guys do with a brand spankin new empty stadium, when by the time it is finished the B12 no longer exists? This whole thing would be the biggest gamble since Time Warner bought AOL for $350B.

A couple things - first, pledges are an acceptable way to gauge the progress of a capital campaign. So if they really DO have $40MM in pledges, that's very significant. Second, the money would likely never go to the University directly. They typically filter these kinds of things through a foundation of some kind. I know CU has a foundation, and I'd assume CSU has something similar. Lastly, you don't get $40MM in pledges without an established capital campaign. If they really do have that, then they've been running a campaign for a while. That last part is what doesn't quite add up for me. Graham, unless he's the chair of the campaign, wouldn't be able to come in and raise that kind of money in two weeks. It just doesn't work that way. Now, if he's on the campaign committee, or is the chair of that committee, that would explain a lot.

A couple things - first, pledges are an acceptable way to gauge the progress of a capital campaign. So if they really DO have $40MM in pledges, that's very significant. Second, the money would likely never go to the University directly. They typically filter these kinds of things through a foundation of some kind. I know CU has a foundation, and I'd assume CSU has something similar. Lastly, you don't get $40MM in pledges without an established capital campaign. If they really do have that, then they've been running a campaign for a while. That last part is what doesn't quite add up for me. Graham, unless he's the chair of the campaign, wouldn't be able to come in and raise that kind of money in two weeks. It just doesn't work that way. Now, if he's on the campaign committee, or is the chair of that committee, that would explain a lot.

I don't know any of that except that Graham is one of their biggest donors, so I would expect he's been having these conversations with other donors for years now. He is also good friends with Neinas, who is the new commish of the Big12 - so it wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't had a 'To-Do' list to get into the Big12 for a few years now.

Something is fishy here.

The whole thing has been fishy. What I think happened is that Graham was privately working with high value donors who have never been engaged by the University. When he went to pitch the idea to the President, he was basically offered the job to become the athletic director because of his connections to those donors, including Stryker. I also think that is why CSU paid a private firm 250K to come up with a list of candidates for its head coaching position, a job that....well you actually pay an athletic director to do. IMO Graham is a business man who has been put into place to leverage alumni resources that have never been adequately engaged by the University to upgrade the athletic facilities. I am not sure there has been a coordinated capital campaign as much as there has been a group of high value donors who have been working behind the scenes for sometime now to secure committements to a project of this size.

The whole thing has been fishy. What I think happened is that Graham was privately working with high value donors who have never been engaged by the University. When he went to pitch the idea to the President, he was basically offered the job to become the athletic director because of his connections to those donors, including Stryker. I also think that is why CSU paid a private firm 250K to come up with a list of candidates for its head coaching position, a job that....well you actually pay an athletic director to do. IMO Graham is a business man who has been put into place to leverage alumni resources that have never been adequately engaged by the University to upgrade the athletic facilities. I am not sure there has been a coordinated capital campaign as much as there has been a group of high value donors who have been working behind the scenes for sometime now to secure committements to a project of this size.
Your story makes sense, but it is still unbelievable.

I agree that this all seems unbelievable - but I would bet dollars to donuts that this happens

anyone have an idea as to how much money the CU foundation has? what is that money used for?

anyone have an idea as to how much money the CU foundation has? what is that money used for?

As of June 30, 2011 the CU foundation had $1.2B in assets. That was an increase of roughly $200MM from June 2010.

Check out their website to answer most of your questions: www.cufund.org

As of June 30, 2011 the CU foundation had $1.2B in assets. That was an increase of roughly $200MM from June 2010.

Check out their website to answer most of your questions: www.cufund.org

Isnt Benson working on 1.5BB capital campaign?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Interestingly enough, when you look through the annual report, it looks like the foundation has $4.2MM in restricted funds held specifically for the benefit of the CU athletic department. That sounds great, but pales in comparison to the $130MM designated for academics, and is actually down from the $5MM figure they had designated in 2010.

I just LOVE reading annual reports. Can't you tell?

Isnt Benson working on 1.5BB capital campaign?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Yes he is. Best guess on my part is that A) most of those funds remain as pledges, not actual donations at this point, and B) some of them have been obtained, which would account for the increase of approximately $200MM from 2010 to 2011. Also keep in mind that they have not reached the $1.5B objective yet. I believe they're somewhere around $1B, with a percentage of that having actually been received. It's typical for these kinds of campaigns to last 4-5 years, sometimes longer.

Interestingly enough, when you look through the annual report, it looks like the foundation has $4.2MM in restricted funds held specifically for the benefit of the CU athletic department. That sounds great, but pales in comparison to the $130MM designated for academics, and is actually down from the $5MM figure they had designated in 2010.

I just LOVE reading annual reports. Can't you tell?

4.2 million out of 1.2 billion? :huh:

4.2 million out of 1.2 billion? :huh:

Those are funds that are restricted in their use. Meaning people have donated to the foundation telling them they can only spend this money in a certain way. The foundation can, at it's discretion, spend a lot more than that if it wants to out of it's unrestricted funds. IIRC, there was a farily sizeable bequest made to the CU athletics department a few years ago. I'm guessing that's the source of the majority of these funds.

Harvard has a $32 Billion dollar endowment, why can't they buy a good football team? They can buy the Packers and move them to Cambridge to play football if they wanted.

I agree that this all seems unbelievable - but I would bet dollars to donuts that this happens

I bet you are wrong. The amount of capital needed in this case is simply too big, especially given the type of program CSU is. It isn't happening.

If I am wrong I'll be the first to admit it, but even so this will only make CSU have a stadium that has even more empty seats.

I bet you are wrong. The amount of capital needed in this case is simply too big, especially given the type of program CSU is. It isn't happening.

If I am wrong I'll be the first to admit it, but even so this will only make CSU have a stadium that has even more empty seats.

I should clarify that the stadium happens - and I bet they have a good shot at getting into the B12. I don't really think their new coach is very good, so I don't know if wins will come, and I don't know how they fill the stadium.... but I bet they find the money to build it at least.

I should clarify that the stadium happens - and I bet they have a good shot at getting into the B12. I don't really think their new coach is very good, so I don't know if wins will come, and I don't know how they fill the stadium.... but I bet they find the money to build it at least.

I honestly don't think you have a financial concept of this scale. We are talking about a quarter of a BILLION dollars. $100 Million won't even be close. We throw these number around on the message board, but the simple reality is staggering. They won't get into the Big 12 because nobody in the Big 12 is interested in them.

Back