What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU not ****ing around for once...McElwain expected to be announced as thier coach

I will believe he is actually thinking long-term when he buys a multi-million dollar house in Colorado.
Doesn't mean he won't jump ship at some point, just means he hasn't determined his destination.

Graham was just on 102.3 and stated that he is setting his sights on a 50k on-campus stadium with private funding. I will say one thing about the guy, he has brought more vision to CSU athletics in the last two weeks than I can remember anyone offering in the last 50 years. Whether he gets it done remains to be seen, but I am starting to believe this guy may have what it takes to get CSU out of the wilderness and into the game.

Graham was just on 102.3 and stated that he is setting his sights on a 50k stadium with private funding. I will say one thing about the guy, he has brought more vision to CSU athletics in the last two weeks than I can remember anyone offering in the last 50 years. Whether he gets it done remains to be seen, but I am starting to believe this guy may have what it takes to get CSU out of the wilderness and into the game.

Better pay for that 70 yard IPF you owe $20 mil on first

Graham was just on 102.3 and stated that he is setting his sights on a 50k on-campus stadium with private funding. I will say one thing about the guy, he has brought more vision to CSU athletics in the last two weeks than I can remember anyone offering in the last 50 years. Whether he gets it done remains to be seen, but I am starting to believe this guy may have what it takes to get CSU out of the wilderness and into the game.

50k? Why? Are they gunna hold a rodeo or nascar race up there?

50k? Why? Are they gunna hold a rodeo or nascar race up there?

It seems clear that CSU is going all in to make a play for the Big 12. A 50K stadium is exactly what it would take for that to become a very real possibility and those are words I never thought I would utter in my lifetime.

I hate to say it, but I'm a little jealous that CSU's AD appears to have a vision for the future regarding facilities. Ours? Not so much.

I doubt they'll fill it unless the RMS is brought back to campuses, but it is a lot cheaper to build to 50k now than to expand later.

Its becoming clear that this is all about realignment. If CSU were somehow able to make its way into the Big 12, I think 50K is the size it would need and the University could probably look to Iowa State as model for its expected attendance.

Last edited:
Its becoming clear that this is all about realignment. If CSU were somehow able to make its way into the Big 12, I think 50K is the size it would need.
Shouldn't CSU worry more about staying out of the cellar of the MWC rather than getting a invite to the Big 12?

Its becoming clear that this is all about realignment. If CSU were somehow able to make its way into the Big 12, I think 50K is the size it would need and the University could probably look to Iowa State as model for its expected attendance.

Is that conference looking to expand? I thought that UT's primary demand was to stay at 10 in order to avoid a conference champtionship game.

I guess I see it from the perspective of being positioned in case there's another round of expansion. If the SEC, Pac-12 and BiG make more raids on that conference, the remaining schools will likely pick and choose among the western Big East programs and possible look to some C-USA and MWC programs to maintain viability.

Is that conference looking to expand? I thought that UT's primary demand was to stay at 10 in order to avoid a conference champtionship game.

I guess I see it from the perspective of being positioned in case there's another round of expansion. If the SEC, Pac-12 and BiG make more raids on that conference, the remaining schools will likely pick and choose among the western Big East programs and possible look to some C-USA and MWC programs to maintain viability.

I think you are right. I don't know that it will happen right away, but CSU is positioning itself for the next round of expansion. I think the Big12 is the conference that CSU is desperately trying to make a play for.

Fun with CSU Football math

According to U.S. Department of Education figures from the 2010-11 fiscal year (we're currently in the 2011-12 FY), Colorado State's football program broke even, spending and receiving $7,744,375. In fact, CSU's budget was set up for all of its sports to break even, but the athletic department as a whole reported a profit of $2,236,961. According to what the university reported, the surplus is directly due to a profit in "non-allocated revenues," things such as the Ram Club, etc. Because of that, CSU's athletic department is in the black.

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_19433634?source=commented-

$7.7M revenue
($7.7M) expense
$0. Income

McElwain salary $1.5M
Fairchild salary. $0.8M
Incremental salary expense (0.7M)
One tine Fairchild buy-out (0.8M)

If revenue is flat - CSU is on a trajectory for a $1.5M shortfall with this hire this year. This equates to the need to sell 5,000 additional tickets per game (six game * $50/each). That would mean getting a 23% increase in attendance (from 22K to 27k per game)

Absent an increase in revenue, something has to get cut. Will it be scholarships? Camps & Recruiting? Assistant coach salaries? Equipment? Academic programs? Non-rev sports? All if the above?

It boggles the mind that McElwain's salary is worth 19% of CSU's total football revenue. If CU were to do that, Embree would be north of $4M.

Last edited by a moderator:

If revenue is flat - CSU is on a trajectory for a $1.5M shortfall with this hire this year. This equates to the need to sell 5,000 additional tickets per game (six game * $50/each). That would mean getting a 23% increase in attendance (from 22K to 27k per game)

$50 a ticket? From just looking at their website, the best ticket is $37.50/seat and the endzone is $20.83/seat per game. So the avg ticket is $29.16. That means they need to sell 8,573 more tickets next year to break even. So that's jumping from 22k to 30.5k in that stadium ...

Not even taking into account any increase in Asst Coaching Salary Pool, or the $2000/student athlete stipend which might push that 8,573 extra tickets well towards the 12,000 new tickets just to break even. Fuzzy math?

That's like saying CU hired a new coach and therefore expects attendance to jump from 50k to 75k in Folsom (assuming fictitious capacity).

Last edited:
Ah offseason. The time when even doormat, cellar dweller programs in dying conferences can dream big. Bring on the unicorns!

$7.7M revenue
($7.7M) expense
$0. Income

McElwain salary $1.5M
Fairchild salary. $0.8M
Incremental salary expense (0.7M)
One tine Fairchild buy-out (0.8M)

Absent an increase in revenue, something has to get cut. Will it be scholarships? Camps & Recruiting? Assistant coach salaries? Equipment? Academic programs? Non-rev sports? All if the above?

It boggles the mind that McElwain's salary is worth 19% of CSU's total football revenue. If CU were to do that, Embree would be north of $4M.

They also had to buyout the AD for $700kish

Also, you guys need to realize that this is entirely privately funded

CSU will stay a member of the Mountain USA Conference (coming your way in 2013) and McElwain will be coaching at his desire job in 2014 (stepping stone job)

Back