What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Coaching Discussion

Worst part for me? Didn’t care at the end of the game if we won. Our future looks bleak, unless you aspire to be Purdue, Vandy, or BF University

The worst bit is that we will probably get beat by Nebraska next year.

You have gone too far!!!

Sadly that is ALL that matters to me is to not lose to Nebraska. I am a Buffs fan that lives in Nebraska (Lincoln, Nebraska). Moving to the PAC 12 is the greatest thing to ever happen for me so I do not have to mess every year with the discussion of Buffs v Huskers. I only want things to be improved so that we do not lose to them. As sad as it sounds, I would go 1-11 as long as we beat those a-holes. I like that we have Montez for both games!!! But, need to have the defense improve dramatically.

Who is actually mad?

Not mad but underwhelmed.

As good as last year was we still lost to the 3 best teams we played, 2 of them badly. We got a last minute win against an Oregon team that was way down and had a good, close hard-fought win against Stanford on the road. And played well for the most part at Michigan but still lost by 17, and we beat the teams we should have soundly which granted was nice to finally see. We start out this year 3-0 against CSU, a low-tier G5 team and an FCS school, so 3-0 was pretty much expected. And today we beat one of the worst Power 5 teams in the country against a coach in his first game. Unless we can pull a big upset we have 2 winnable games left just to make it to 6 wins, and that's with 2 gimme wins plus the CSU game on the schedule.

Worst part for me? Didn’t care at the end of the game if we won. Our future looks bleak, unless you aspire to be Purdue, Vandy, or BF University
I have concerns. But you, sir, are a Negative Nancy! I'm not throwing in the towel just yet.

Slider, I don't call you a troll, just an anti-semite bigot and a stain on the good name of this board. The fact that you still have posting privileges is an abomination.

I have concerns. But you, sir, are a Negative Nancy! I'm not throwing in the towel just yet.
200.gif

Reactions: DBT
It's probably just some battered-victim psychological syndrome, but it seems like I've seen this movie before. Last season was Hawkins' game against Oklahoma and I'm in for another string of hopeless hoping.

Assuming he sticks, Rick George won't allow us to be a perennial doormat. Either our staff steps it up, or adjustments will be made. History proves existing leadership isn't afraid of change. We've seen it in a positive light (the hiring of Levitt) and a negative light (I'll leave that up to those of you that have strong opinions). I think Mac has his strengths and his weaknesses - just like all the other coaches. We need fire during game time (like we had with Leavitt), we need strong recruiting (more of the likes of Chiv), better adjustments at half time (haven't seen it since Mac II arrived). All can be done - with the right adjustments to staff. We're still trying to figure out how to be winners and we've taken a step back this year. That doesn't mean we can't take a step forward again. The remainder of this season, however, is concerning.

Last edited:
What you missed was an anti-semitic comment by Slider a ways back that resulted in a cup of coffee time-out for Slider. He was roundly criticized for it, but not banned (and, honestly, as Jew, I am pretty bitter that anti-semite jackasses like Slider can post anti-semitic comments on this board and get a free ride). Slider is a POS bigoted jackass. Maybe I will get banned for calling him out. It probably is against some arcane rule of this board.

I said last year that I am not convinced MM is a good coach, too many other things that contributed to last year, not the least of which was Leavitt. I am skeptical of many things MM. However, I am sure MM is a good man, despite the SI muckrucking.

...but I am going to hold my judgement until the end of the year. We still have a lot of football and this season is going take a crazy turn for a lot of teams.

What you missed was an anti-semitic comment by Slider a ways back that resulted in a cup of coffee time-out for Slider. He was roundly criticized for it, but not banned (and, honestly, as Jew, I am pretty bitter that anti-semite jackasses like Slider can post anti-semitic comments on this board and get a free ride). Slider is a POS bigoted jackass. Maybe I will get banned for calling him out. It probably is against some arcane rule of this board.
I believe it used to be in The Allbuffs Code of Arcane Rules (ACAR). 3rd Edition but was removed in the 4th Edition.

Agreed. They went all in on the wrong coach (I was calling for Leavitt to replace MacIntyre since before "the Rise"). Now I don't see CU being anything more than the Kansas of the Pac 12 indefinitely. RG royally screwed up, giving MacIntyre that huge contract when the program was at a crossroads between mediocrity and potential respectability

I’m on the “fire Elliot” bandwagon now. He is in over his head. He was a disaster in Kentucky but we were told that wasn’t his fault. Now he’s a disaster here and this is getting worse every week.
Why fire Eliot? So MacIntyre can find another demoted defensive coordinator to give a giant contract to? Why do you want us to be on the hook for 2 demoted defensive coordinators salaries at the same time? It's not like MacIntyre's MO is to hire competent assistants and Eliot just happened to be the exception to the rule or anything...

After that epic blunder by Rick George, the only thing we can really do now is make peace with the fact that we are the Kansas of the Pac 12 and adjust expectations accordingly, to avoid unnecessary stress

Two years ago this time we would have been thrilled to have Les Miles. He's available.
I'm not saying I'm on board to ditch Mike mac though.

Why fire Eliot? So MacIntyre can find another demoted defensive coordinator to give a giant contract to? Why do you want us to be on the hook for 2 demoted defensive coordinators salaries at the same time? It's not like MacIntyre's MO is to hire competent assistants and Eliot just happened to be the exception to the rule or anything...
You fire Elliot because he’s in over his head. He’s not a legit D-1 DC. Cut your losses and go find somebody who can do the job. There comes a time when it becomes obvious that a coach isn’t cut out for the job he has. I’ve reached that point with Elliot. I’m not concerned about the contract specifics. That stuff isn’t relevant.

There are many people on this board that tend to the negative, some thrive on it. Others have had overly optimistic outlooks. When things are not going well, the negative nancies always come out, they neglect the good that has been done and don't realistically asses what was possible (instead inserting what they hoped or wanted as the minimum outcome). Sadly this is typical of the hot takes era of sports. So here are my thoughts:
1. @tsarbomba I would agree that any comments that are anti-semitic (racist or otherwise generally against the accepted order of this board) should be grounds for punishment. I didn't see the comment (mods do a good job of deleting crap like that quickly) so I won't make any further judgements on it. Ultimately it is up to the mods to meet out punishment, but those on the board can also police things by calling out and shunning people that violate the civility of this board.
2. I think it is safe to say most on this board have been following football, participated, or coached so we all bring our built in biases, however if we were really "experts" we wouldn't be posting on a message board, we would be getting paid for that knowledge and would be the ones being criticized by a message board, so take any analysis with a grain of salt.
3. Mac I believe has demonstrated some coaching acumen and has shown the willingness to make changes when necessary. You don't have to be an asshole to be successful. Mac also realized that until the new contracts law was passed, he needed to show that he wouldn't drop someone without giving them a fair opportunity. He also realized that because of this law, great assistants weren't going to be beating down our door. Coaching staffs that turn over constantly also tend to lead to weaker performance.
4. 4-3, that is our record to date. Is it where we wanted, no, but that is based on preseason expectations from last years results. I figured we would be a 7 to 8 win team this year, hoped for more. Will I be disappointed if we only get 5 or 6, yes, but I am not going to call for the coaches head. I think a couple changes need to be made to the staff that are overdue and I would like to see a better focus on finding more promising talent in the interior.
5. We are establishing a nice running game, we need to keep developing it. Montez needs to get some timing issues worked out, some receivers need to start catching the close balls, and the line needs to be able to pick up the stunts (almost all the pressure comes from delayed blitzes and stunts).
6. Oliver, as good as he is does not make an entire defense. We have been decent on most passing downs, but the lack of pass rush hurts. Our D-line needs to hold position better and keep the o-line from reaching our linebackers.
7. Special teams is improved this year. I didn't really enjoy seeing the short kickoffs today but overall I haven't seen much to complain about.

So to sum up, step back from the ledge, get a beer and relax.

If this team doesn't play in a bowl/gets there via APR, we're back to where we were prior to last year, we're basically where we were in August of 2016-MM is on the hot seat and needing an 8 win year in 2018 to stay IMO. I'm not ready to make a change YET.

You fire Elliot because he’s in over his head. He’s not a legit D-1 DC. Cut your losses and go find somebody who can do the job. There comes a time when it becomes obvious that a coach isn’t cut out for the job he has. I’ve reached that point with Elliot. I’m not concerned about the contract specifics. That stuff isn’t relevant.

Demote him to ILBs or whatever position responsibility he has now. MM needs to call the defense himself the rest of the year.

What I am trying to say is why would you trust someone who failed so completely when picking the first two times (ron Collins & DJ Eliot [Leavitt was obviously RG's guy]) to try again? At some point you have to cut your losses and stop trying, before it gets any worse. Like stepping away from the black jack table before you end up broke

What I am trying to say is why would you trust someone who failed so completely when picking the first two times (ron Collins & DJ Eliot [Leavitt was obviously RG's guy]) to try again? At some point you have to cut your losses and stop trying, before it gets any worse. Like stepping away from the black jack table before you end up broke
Ron Collins?

Back