What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Depth Chart (August 29 update)

Now that CU is down two defenders that very likely would have been starters on opening day (Julmisse at CB and Falo at OLB), we can have fun angst filled conversations about who replaces them.

I hope that Bennion is ready to play and becomes a starter, because I just haven't seen it from Hasselbach...Bennion is a major unknown, but in this case, from my perspective that is better than the known. Oh and no, I really don't want a true freshman starting here.

The cornerback position is just a brutal loss....Here is hoping that Blackmon, Udoffia, Wigley & Rakestraw can flat out play...Otherwise, this defense, which isn't likely to put tons of pressure on the QB, is in serious trouble.

Udoffia was awfully close to not redshirting last year and likely only did so because we were so set at CB. By all accounts, he looked real good in the spring and may actually have been more consistent than Julmisse, although Julmisse certainly had a real high upside.

I feel like Udoffia will have a surprisingly good year, even if there are some natural growing pains along the way.

Falo wouldn't have been a starter, really. We'll rarely play 2 OLBs at the same time this year. But he would have played a ton. That hurts. Julmisse hurts both at CB and in our return game.

Falo wouldn't have been a starter, really. We'll rarely play 2 OLBs at the same time this year. But he would have played a ton. That hurts. Julmisse hurts both at CB and in our return game.
The good news at CB is there are plenty of solid, albeit untested, options at their disposal to replace him. I thought he was a very meh KR, though, and they can find other guys to take that role. I am not concerned in the slightest there.

I'm still annoyed about Falo, and I hope that Julmisse can work his way back onto the team, assuming that he didn't do something that warrants being kicked off the team immediately. Granted I haven't seen him really play in college, but I was really excited about Blackmon when we signed him. Udoffia was apparently coming on strong too...it always hurts to lose guys at the top of the depth chart, but I guess I'm just less concerned with losing Julmisse on the field than Falo. Hope both men learn and correct things.

The good news at CB is there are plenty of solid, albeit untested, options at their disposal to replace him. I thought he was a very meh KR, though, and they can find other guys to take that role. I am not concerned in the slightest there.

I'm still annoyed about Falo, and I hope that Julmisse can work his way back onto the team, assuming that he didn't do something that warrants being kicked off the team immediately. Granted I haven't seen him really play in college, but I was really excited about Blackmon when we signed him. Udoffia was apparently coming on strong too...it always hurts to lose guys at the top of the depth chart, but I guess I'm just less concerned with losing Julmisse on the field than Falo. Hope both men learn and correct things.

My feeling since spring is that Udoffia won the CB spot and would always be on the field, with Julmisse the likely candidate to be the 5th guy (which is most of the time). Sort of the same role Oliver played last year, losing him would be a big loss. But unlike the pre HCMM years, we won't have to have an offensive player move into the 2-deep in de facto style. We got guys as Scheck mentions. These types of losses used to cost us wins every single time.

Will be a very interesting watch to see who emerges there either way.

Also in the mix is a trio of true freshmen that will be called upon at some point. Nate Landman, Jonathan Van Diest and Carson Wells are all vying for playing time at inside linebacker. (Wells is also working at outside linebacker). Like Jones, the freshmen trio is learning both inside positions.
"Those three guys are rotating in and taking even reps, so we'll see who the next guy is," Els said. "To be honest, there is no one that really is ahead of the other. All three will play this year. Load them up on special teams and find out who is going to be the next backer."
http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_31212867/buffs-working-depth-at-inside-linebacker

From the article, looks like Akil Jones will be first on the field if either Gamboa or Lewis need a breather, and then after that Landman.

Adam said in his podcast that Wells has been moved to oustide so who knows if he is still getting work inside.
Article says Wells was splitting time with the outside, so that's at least part of what he is doing. And Adam said JVD was still looking like he needed time to recover from his injuries, about 10-15 pounds underweight. Wish we had the luxury of redshirting him. Landman definitely seems to have the lead though.

http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_31212867/buffs-working-depth-at-inside-linebacker

From the article, looks like Akil Jones will be first on the field if either Gamboa or Lewis need a breather, and then after that Landman.
Chatter (led by Adam) seems to be that Wells is a more natural fit at OLB and the question is on whether both Landman and JVD play as true frosh. I think both because it seems doubtful to me that you can get through a season with only your 4 guys in your 1s and 2s playing for the entire season. Headley can give some snaps, so maybe that could fill the extra depth need but my gut is that both of those true frosh play this year.

Article says Wells was splitting time with the outside, so that's at least part of what he is doing. And Adam said JVD was still looking like he needed time to recover from his injuries, about 10-15 pounds underweight. Wish we had the luxury of redshirting him. Landman definitely seems to have the lead though.
I thought Adam and Ziskin said Van Diest was pretty well put together from what they saw at the scrimmage and he held his own/played well?

Chatter (led by Adam) seems to be that Wells is a more natural fit at OLB and the question is on whether both Landman and JVD play as true frosh. I think both because it seems doubtful to me that you can get through a season with only your 4 guys in your 1s and 2s playing for the entire season. Headley can give some snaps, so maybe that could fill the extra depth need but my gut is that both of those true frosh play this year.
For sure. I mean, we need special teams guys too, and Coach Els agrees with you:

All three will play this year. Load them up on special teams and find out who is going to be the next backer.
I thought Adam and Ziskin said Van Diest was pretty well put together from what they saw at the scrimmage and he held his own/played well?
They did, but IIRC they also said he was still looked like he was missing some weight from his surgeries. So, very impressive from JVD if he's flashing despite that.

Looks like true frosh only breaking through at WR as #2 on the offensive depth. Moeller has beat out Fisher at SS, at least for now (Fisher has been hurt). Evan Worthington is #1 nickel. Brett Tonz must have really impressed at OL cause he's #2 at LG.

That depth chart does not match up with what has been said about the front seven.
Yea. Granted, they don't list anyone as "#1 pass rushing OLB" for situational things, but the linebackers definitely have moved around.

Also, is it news that Sanchez is out for the year?

Weird not seeing Chris Miller on the depth chart at corner, maybe just trying to hide him or a mistake.

Back