What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Depth Chart (August 29 update)

If Gamboa and Lewis can stay healthy that depth chart at ILB will look pretty damn good next year. Just need to keep those guys to limited roles and special teams starters.

If Gamboa and Lewis can stay healthy that depth chart at ILB will look pretty damn good next year. Just need to keep those guys to limited roles and special teams starters.
Els made a comment yesterday in an interview that having so much inexperience at linebacker as well as at safety is causing challenges for our ST coverage teams because those are the positions that usually make up the bulk of those units. I think that's a big key for the final 2 weeks of camp.

Fair. Anything else? No snark; I'm seriously wondering because I feel like the starters and even the immediate backups are pretty much what we thought they would be

You are right, nothing else really glaring. I guess just seeing the depth chart overall does not match the positivity (clear bias on my part).

These depth charts have a weird way of being totally wrong. Daysean Rippy was listed as a starter this time last year (or was it two years ago?). In any event, he never saw the field.

A few other notes:

If a freshman isn't listed, we should assume that the coaches will plan to redshirt him unless an injury forces their hand.

Very surprising to me to see Kaiser as the LT2 and Miller listed as RT3. Been hearing good stuff on Middlemiss, so no surprise he is RT2, just that Miller isn't listed at LT instead of Kaiser who I thought looked lost there in the spring.

In case anyone didn't notice, they are now listing 4 WR positions. Our base on O is as much 4-wide instead of 3-wide + TE as much as our defensive base is 3-3-4 + Buff instead of 3-4-4. I'd expect to see MacIntyre on the field more than Frazier on O; Moeller on the field more than Hasselbach.

The DL depth chart is always a confusion (I don't think Jeffcoat likes to give it away). But it surprised me to see Umu backing up Jackson instead of Mulumba, where I thought there would be a position battle between those guys. In 2018, Umu-Edwards-Mulumba would be what I'd pencil in as the starting DL but in 2017 I thought it would be more like Jackson-Edwards-Mulumba(or)Umu.

With the return guys, I'm actually not surprised that Lee Walker got the nod at KR. What did surprise me is that we don't see Blackmon or Nixon listed on the PR depth chart as a 3rd guy. I hope either or both of them get some run there in weeks 2 and 3.

Sparaco and Callier don't really surprise me but it is weird that Coleman is 3rd. It's not like it was just Howell pumping him up. Strange.

Van Diest in the two-deep is surprising tho. He is really good and has been making plays, but I figured he be further behind after a recent surgery. Might not be a great thing that he's already our second best Jack lol.

I will say the secondary looks pretty good, even with the likely loss of Julmisse. Growing pains to be expected, but nice development by the staff to offset the losses there from 2016.

Offense looks good all around. Depth shaky at spots, but every team has some holes.

In case anyone didn't notice, they are now listing 4 WR positions. Our base on O is as much 4-wide instead of 3-wide + TE as much as our defensive base is 3-3-4 + Buff instead of 3-4-4. I'd expect to see MacIntyre on the field more than Frazier on O; Moeller on the field more than Hasselbach.

With the return guys, I'm actually not surprised that Lee Walker got the nod at KR. What did surprise me is that we don't see Blackmon or Nixon listed on the PR depth chart as a 3rd guy. I hope either or both of them get some run there in weeks 2 and 3.
Yeah, Moeller listed as the starter at two positions, but I think his primary position is going to be BB, with Fisher getting on the field at Safety.

I think Mac wants veteran guys at PR. Arguably the single most high stress, dangerous, and game changing position on the field, in both a positive and negative way.

Sparaco and Callier don't really surprise me but it is weird that Coleman is 3rd. It's not like it was just Howell pumping him up. Strange.

Van Diest in the two-deep is surprising tho. He is really good and has been making plays, but I figured he be further behind after a recent surgery. Might not be a great thing that he's already our second best Jack lol.
Definitely concerned about Van Diest as of right now, saw one of the practice pictures and he doesn't look like he is at the listed weight. I will say he has always been a player that played with a mean streak and went full speed at all times but definitely something to watch. He did bring it at the scrimmage.

Definitely concerned about Van Diest as of right now, saw one of the practice pictures and he doesn't look like he is at the listed weight. I will say he has always been a player that played with a mean streak and went full speed at all times but definitely something to watch. He did bring it at the scrimmage.
You're concerned about him as of right now in which they listed him as the #2 Jack LB?

I'm thinking this will still change quite a bit. Certain matchups with teams or they plan to sub as much as possible.

Get some more playmakers at LB in the 2018 class and an overhaul of that group could look pretty good come next season.

Nice to see Sherman has made an impression early. Might be the most versatile lineman on the team.

Also, Shenault flashing is great to see. Big time talent there.

Last edited:
CU absolutely has to stay healthy in the LB core. Freshman are backing up every position. I think they all have talent, but will have some gigantic learning curves.

Otherwise, the depth chart is pretty much what we expected. I like this team with a few concerns in the front 7. Should be a fun year!!

Still concerned about the front 7 and depth. It's great that these freshman have moved up but cu can't afford any major injuries on the dl or inside lb.

I think Adam is speculating, but I hope he is right. I would like to see half of those guys be able to redshirt if at all possible.

I think it is pretty much guaranteed that Van Diest, Sparaco, and Callier are playing based off of depth alone. Otherwise, I agree.

That's Julmisse's number. Also notable because it confirms that Frazier will be playing both sides of the ball (#5), which meant that Trey couldn't share the number.

Could be looking at a medical retirement (or graduation) for Sanchez.

Looks like true frosh only breaking through at WR as #2 on the offensive depth. Moeller has beat out Fisher at SS, at least for now (Fisher has been hurt). Evan Worthington is #1 nickel. Brett Tonz must have really impressed at OL cause he's #2 at LG.
How did you conclude this about Worthington in nickle?

no Chris Miller or Kevin George for DB... does this mean they are redshirting?
I think that was the plan unless one of them won the starting job or unless injuries forced it.

Likely that Fisher and Worthington can play some corner provides more depth than we realize.

Safety depth is one thing we don't need to worry about this season. Looks like we might see all 4 of Laguda (FS), Moeller (BB), Fisher (SS), and Worthington (NB) on the field at the same time in clear passing situations.

Also, don't see Grant Polley on here, and he was the freshman lineman I thought most likely to make an impact. Anyone hear much about how he's looked?

Safety depth is one thing we don't need to worry about this season. Looks like we might see all 4 of Laguda (FS), Moeller (BB), Fisher (SS), and Worthington (NB) on the field at the same time in clear passing situations.

Also, don't see Grant Polley on here, and he was the freshman lineman I thought most likely to make an impact. Anyone hear much about how he's looked?
He is only 260 or so. Probably why.

He is recovering from a knee injury, otherwise would definitely be in a backup spot like Sherman.

Back