What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU fans need a reality check on a coaching change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't we hire a proven OC or DC? Why not a proven head coach? Hawk wasn't exactly a big name coach. CU needs to decide if they want to succeed in football or not. If we're going to do this we need to go all out and start doing anything we can to have a winning program. No, I don't mean 50 jucos or bringing in 15 bad apples.
Because why would they come here? At least a proven HC. We might be able to get a proven coordinator. I just don't think it will be an easy search. I'd like to see the AD up the HC salary to the $1.5 to $1.8 million range and up the assistant's up as well. Then we'd have a horse race.

During difficult economic times like these, it's never easy to spend big money, that's for sure. Nonetheless, the cliché but applicable saying goes, you've got to spend money to make money. In this case, since the state is cutting the $ to CU, CU will have to make up for it, or make cuts to live without it. They have the option in investing in the football program, which if even moderately successful, could actually put money back into the school...let alone help the image of the school.

But for the largest, and arguably best funded university in the state to toss money away -- even if it was raised selling cookies and washing cars -- when other schools are patching together their academic budgets ? CU has to tread carefully in the budget arena, and Bohn and the regents know this.

that's my point -- it looks careless and arrogant for CU to buy out our coach because we had a couple losing seasons. It means more to the die-hard fans, but to the average reader of average news, spending MILLIONS to buy out a football coach is not justified.

I have never been more ready for a CU football season to end.

I am bummed the ISU game isn't televised and I can't wait to catch the Buffs in Swillwater and in Boulder. Mercifully, the gameday experience compensates in a small way for the losses. The worst day following the Buffs around collegetowns is better than most days in the rat race.

There are always things to cheer about, like Speedy making some hard fought yards after contact and Burton and Smith and Beatty and the two Brown doing their thing. I'm not ready for football withdrawal yet.

Maybe firing Hawkins is the way to go, maybe not. However, if we do, indeed, fire him, finding a successful replacement will be a crapshoot.

First, the salary we pay our head guy and the assistants is middle to bottom of the conference. And Boulder probably has the highest cost of living in the conference. If we want a big time guy, we'll have to pay big time salary. With two buyouts on the ledger, I don't see that happening.

Second, whether you people want to aknowledge it or not, CU has tougher academic issues for a recruiter to deal with than any school in the Conference with Baylor maybe being an exception. We have almost a closed window on academic exceptions.

Third, the competition for recruits in Texas and California, historically our hot beds, has really gotten stiff. We have a much more difficult time recruiting those places. CU has to recruit on a national basis, unlike the Texas schools and OU.

If CU wants to be a contender in athletics, the CU administration needs to take a long, hard look at how they want to do business. Do we want a mediocre athletic program with high academic standards, or are we willing to bring in more at risk kids who will upgrade our athletic programs? Of course, the hope there would be that you can help them succeed in academics as well.

With all those factors, we are not going to attract a nationally prominent coach. We will have to do what we did with Bill and bring in an up and coming coordinator who is hungry to get a shot at the big time. And that, my friends, is a crap shoot every bit as much as keeping Hawkins is a crap shoot.

The College of Arts and Sciences should start a Life Skills Program. It could have courses like the following. Then CU could get the athletes it needs

Domestic Violence 1010--a 6 credit hour course that examines the effects of punching your girlfriend in the face and the consequences that follow.

Drug and Athletics 1020--a 3 credit hour course that gives students knowledge of various masking agents for performance enhancing drugs as well as recreational drugs.

Athletes and the Judicial System 1030--a 3 credit hour course that introduces students to the local police, prosecutors, judges, defense attorneys...Field Experience in County Jail

the college of arts and sciences should start a life skills program. It could have courses like the following. Then cu could get the athletes it needs

domestic violence 1010--a 6 credit hour course that examines the effects of punching your girlfriend in the face and the consequences that follow.

Drug and athletics 1020--a 3 credit hour course that gives students knowledge of various masking agents for performance enhancing drugs as well as recreational drugs.

Athletes and the judicial system 1030--a 3 credit hour course that introduces students to the local police, prosecutors, judges, defense attorneys...field experience in county jail
wtf?

The College of Arts and Sciences should start a Life Skills Program. It could have courses like the following. Then CU could get the athletes it needs

Domestic Violence 1010--a 6 credit hour course that examines the effects of punching your girlfriend in the face and the consequences that follow.

Drug and Athletics 1020--a 3 credit hour course that gives students knowledge of various masking agents for performance enhancing drugs as well as recreational drugs.

Athletes and the Judicial System 1030--a 3 credit hour course that introduces students to the local police, prosecutors, judges, defense attorneys...Field Experience in County Jail

Pardon?

Explain please, was that raw sarcasm?

If I remember correctly, Katoa got an A in "Punching people with rocks and the human response 1040" :lol:

The reason everyone gives you **** DBT is for a number of reasons:

1. You use absurdly faulty logic.
2. You continually post threads in the guise of different topics while it's clear to everyone here that it's just another way for you to defend poor Danny Boy.
3. You cry anytime anyone destroys your argument with simple logic.
4. You attempt to call yourself a victim on a regular basis.

facepalm_gif_by_thatweirdo7.gif

The reason everyone gives you **** DBT is for a number of reasons:

1. You use absurdly faulty logic.
2. You continually post threads in the guise of different topics while it's clear to everyone here that it's just another way for you to defend poor Danny Boy.
3. You cry anytime anyone destroys your argument with simple logic.
4. You attempt to call yourself a victim on a regular basis.
And you are full of **** up to your eyeballs.

15-30. That’s all I can say. 15-30. Nowhere, not even a school that doesn't care about their football team keeps a coach who loses 2 games for every one they win.

I've been saying the following even back when I was on the Hawkins bandwagon:

Hawkins was brought in at a time when the administration’s immediate concern was simply to fix & clean up the program...they couldn't even be concerned about wins at that point due to the state of the program after the scandal and 70-3 blowout in the Big XII championship game vs. Texas.
Hawkins has accomplished what he was hired for - the program is squeaky clean, in good standing, and now able to recruit and compete for a coach who wins games.

Bohn extended Hawkins after the Bama bowl game and sick recruiting class assuming Hawkins was not just the guy to clean up the program, but also the guy who could start winning games. Turns out he was wrong. We were all wrong about that one.

Bohn has made clear what his expectations of the program are, and they're not very lofty. All he expects is the Buffs to be in the top half of the Big XII and bowl eligible every year (and that's a direct quote).

What does that mean? It means he's not looking to be in the national championship/BCS picture (other than maybe a fluke season here or there), therefore, we're not talking about paying a coach Saban-type money here...we're talking about winning 6-8 games a year. We don't need Urban Meyer to do that...heck, Gary Barnett was doing that. So it’s ok that we can only pay a coach middle of the Big XII $’s if we’re only asking him to win middle of the Big XII games…get it?

My point being that Bohn's expectations (while I find them disappointing for how low they are), they fit in with what his limitations are in terms of $, academic limitations and location. We're going to be the Wisconsin of the Big XII (and maybe the Oregon in the years that we overachieve). What Juicebox has made us at this point is the Indiana of the Big XII, and for that, he should be fired.

DBT, after that explanation, are you really telling me that it's unrealistic for me to expect Colorado's flagship team to not win at least 6 games every year?

This is, quite easily, you most coherent and best post evar on AllBuffs.

The only ones that "**** all over" me are the same ones that **** all over anyone they don't agree with. I'm just reacting.
DBT, take a break from the football forum man. You need it. Nobody has anything left to say that hasn't been said.

Maybe firing Hawkins is the way to go, maybe not. However, if we do, indeed, fire him, finding a successful replacement will be a crapshoot.

First, the salary we pay our head guy and the assistants is middle to bottom of the conference. And Boulder probably has the highest cost of living in the conference. If we want a big time guy, we'll have to pay big time salary. With two buyouts on the ledger, I don't see that happening.

Second, whether you people want to aknowledge it or not, CU has tougher academic issues for a recruiter to deal with than any school in the Conference with Baylor maybe being an exception. We have almost a closed window on academic exceptions.

Third, the competition for recruits in Texas and California, historically our hot beds, has really gotten stiff. We have a much more difficult time recruiting those places. CU has to recruit on a national basis, unlike the Texas schools and OU.

If CU wants to be a contender in athletics, the CU administration needs to take a long, hard look at how they want to do business. Do we want a mediocre athletic program with high academic standards, or are we willing to bring in more at risk kids who will upgrade our athletic programs? Of course, the hope there would be that you can help them succeed in academics as well.

With all those factors, we are not going to attract a nationally prominent coach. We will have to do what we did with Bill and bring in an up and coming coordinator who is hungry to get a shot at the big time. And that, my friends, is a crap shoot every bit as much as keeping Hawkins is a crap shoot.

Only if we're planning on bringing in a coach who has a .333 winning percentage at the BCS conference level. Otherwise it's the choice between the unknown and the proven failure.

You may not have noticed, but we did bring in the number one player out of California last year. Unfortunately, he never produced under this staff and is now gone. We have guys like Simas, Miller and Major on the roster that big-time programs were lining up for. We have guys like Simmons and Mohler who came in from JCs. Yes, it might be tougher to get players into CU, but let's not act like it's impossible. Or fall back on claiming that somehow the reason we lose 2/3 of our games is because the players just aren't good enough. That's crap. We don't have Florida's roster, but we don't have Wyoming's either...

No, we aren't going to get Urban Meyer, Nick Saban or Mike Shanahan. But there are many more candidates out there, and many candidates who can take the opportunity in Boulder and produce a program that is better than Iowa State, Baylor or CSU....

We can't get much worse than we are now DBT, we are at rock bottom. 16-30 in 4 years. If Hawk is here next year, recruiting and fan support is gonna rapidly decline. We need change. Hawk has been given plenty of time and has shown no hope. Almost any coach would probably be an upgrade.

Give it a rest, OK?

Perhaps you should give your tired act a rest and try looking at the facts objectively rather than trying to blame anyone and everyone other than the coaching staff actually responsible for this mess.

I have to say that this thread is making me consider quitting All-Buffs after 4 years. Things have changed around here. I just re-read DBT's original post here and really don't see why everyone went rabid on him. Seems to be a well-formed opinion to me. He might even be right. It also seems that everyone else seems to be really defensive of their position regarding firing Hawkins. DBT's been on here a long time and his commitment to the Buffs shouldn't be questioned. He also shouldn't have to worry about ad hominum attacks. If you don't like what he is saying, ignore it and move on to the Hot Chicks thread or continue to assert your opinion in a civil non-personal manner.

Geez people, everybody have a beer on ol' Wyo Buff and root for the Buffs to win the rest of their games. Just put it on my tab.

I have to say that this thread is making me consider quitting All-Buffs after 4 years. Things have changed around here. I just re-read DBT's original post here and really don't see why everyone went rabid on him. Seems to be a well-formed opinion to me. He might even be right. It also seems that everyone else seems to be really defensive of their position regarding firing Hawkins. DBT's been on here a long time and his commitment to the Buffs shouldn't be questioned. He also shouldn't have to worry about ad hominum attacks. If you don't like what he is saying, ignore it and move on to the Hot Chicks thread or continue to assert your opinion in a civil non-personal manner.

Geez people, everybody have a beer on ol' Wyo Buff and root for the Buffs to win the rest of their games. Just put it on my tab.

ok. i am in.

GO BUFFS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back