What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I’m calling ITB to the carpet. How do you plead? Ignorance, stupidity, or admit you are trolling?

giphy.gif

You had to know people would fact check this, right?

Are You Stupid Antoine Dodson GIF
My bad. Or is it? Lol..
I was briefly watching something at work in-between working and heard they weren't in those states.
Took it as good info.

To be fair the info I was listening to mentioned Nextstar as the ownership group of CW. This link shows all Nextstar owned CW stations and none owned by Nextstar in Washington or Arizona.

There are several CW stations out there not owned by Nextstar.
Suppose Nexstar could try to market to the CW stations they don't own in Seattle, Phoenix and Tucson, but is this really a great option?

Last edited:
I conflate the CW network with the old Channel 2 local network, KWGN I think it was. Jim Conrad was the sports guy. KWGN was the sister station of WGN (Chicago) and I think they televised Cubs games which may be part of why there are so many Cub fans here.

Then KWGN became the sister station of KDVR (Channel 31-Fox.). Then they affiliated with Warner Brothers (The WB). A few years ago they became The CW Network affiliate.

Just a really crazy evolution.

My bad. Or is it? Lol..
I was briefly watching something at work in-between working and heard they weren't in those states.
Took it as good info.

To be fair the info I was listening to mentioned Nextstar as the ownership group of CW. This link shows all Nextstar owned CW stations and none owned by Nextstar in Washington or Arizona.

There are several CW stations out there not owned by Nextstar.
Suppose Nexstar could try to market to the CW stations they don't own in Seattle, Phoenix and Tucson, but is this really a great option?
You do know that ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX don't own all their affiliates either, right? Right?

Brain Meeting GIF

Honest question. Were you being serious when you said you didn’t know the CW was a broadcast network? I’m actually hoping you were not.
Why? Seems oddly important to you that someone knows about an obscure tv channel.

I believe I might have heard the CW name awhile ago, but have not heard anyone mention it and did not realize it still existed until reading this thread yesterday. I haven’t had cable or watched network TV, aside from live sports, in a pretty long time.

Why? Seems oddly important to you that someone knows about an obscure tv channel.

I believe I might have heard the CW name awhile ago, but have not heard anyone mention it and did not realize it still existed until reading this thread yesterday. I haven’t had cable or watched network TV, aside from live sports, in a pretty long time.
It seems oddly important to you that I’m incredulous that someone younger than 70 would be unaware they were a network broadcast channel for the past 16 years.

Besides the morning news and sports, I haven’t watched broadcast television for 15+ years, but it doesn’t mean I’m unaware of general activities related to broadcast channels such as when they launched, picking up the remnants of the WB and UPN that failed just prior. That included shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Trek: Voyager, 7th Heaven, Gilmore Girls, Dawson's Creek, Charmed, Smallville, and America’s Next Top Model.

I would expect you have at least heard of some of those even if you didn’t watch them?

It seems oddly important to you that I’m incredulous that someone younger than 70 would be unaware they were a network broadcast channel for the past 16 years.

Besides the morning news and sports, I haven’t watched broadcast television for 15+ years, but it doesn’t mean I’m unaware of general activities related to broadcast channels such as when they launched, picking up the remnants of the WB and UPN that failed just prior. That included shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Trek: Voyager, 7th Heaven, Gilmore Girls, Dawson's Creek, Charmed, Smallville, and America’s Next Top Model.

I would expect you have at least heard of some of those even if you didn’t watch them?
I have heard of some of those shows. In your mind does listing those shows from 25 years ago that are completely unrelated to P5 sports strengthen or weaken the idea that the CW is a great option for visibility and viability of the Pac10?

I have heard of some of those shows. In your mind does listing those shows from 25 years ago that are completely unrelated to P5 sports strengthen or weaken the idea that the CW is a great option for visibility and viability of the Pac10?
That’s a completely different position from the original statement of “TIL that the CW is apparently a television network.”, but it appears we are walking that back now.

I applaud the Pac for turning over every possible rock to try to put together the best possible (i.e. $$ and reach) media rights package. Putting a game a week on a broadcast network that has affiliates in every major market as a part of that package is a good idea.

Look - we all know we ****ed up by letting the Big 12 scoop up the final slots from the major legacy players while we sat on the sidelines. I want the Pac to do the best they can to equal that and then I pray Coach Prime makes CU a nationally relevant brand so we have a seat at the table the next time consolidation/realignment takes place amongst the major conferences, which could still happen in multiple different ways.

I’m personally intrigued by some type of ACC-Pac merger down the road, which of course means it will never happen.

I conflate the CW network with the old Channel 2 local network, KWGN I think it was. Jim Conrad was the sports guy. KWGN was the sister station of WGN (Chicago) and I think they televised Cubs games which may be part of why there are so many Cub fans here.

Then KWGN became the sister station of KDVR (Channel 31-Fox.). Then they affiliated with Warner Brothers (The WB). A few years ago they became The CW Network affiliate.

Mods, can we move this one over to the “Best of DBT” sub forum?

I’m not really trying to shill for the CW, but I am old enough to remember when Fox was just a fledgling fourth network that aired shows centered around a screaming Morton Downey Jr. and Jerry Springer, long before it had any sports division. Fox was known for showing trashy shows that the other broadcast channels wouldn’t touch. I recall a journalist once commenting that the “state of morality in television is so low that all the networks would broadcast executions if they could, except Fox, which would broadcast nude executions.”

Now Fox and the venerable B1G conference are joined at the hip.

We have money to blame for all this. And ourselves for encouraging it. We all wanted the TV money, and we got a lot by the way over the past 20 something years, but to what end? Money didnt make us any better on the field. But we have a nice locker room that didnt help. In the course of that journey traditional regional rivalries were destroyed along with entire conferences. The bowls were destroyed. New years day, gone. The euphoric excitement from seeing amateurism demonstrate that anyone could win feels lost (unless you watch basketball)

This game of musical chairs will continue. Theyre not done or satisfied and never will be. At some point they will whittle whats left of college football down to 20-30 teams in some super league with ever rising contracts that will pay billions. Just have to cull the herd to keep the important teams paid. Chances are good we will not be in. Ill even bet money they keep the playoff at 4 and rig it so its always 2 B1G teams versus 2 SEC teams.

The NFL might get a little concerned about all this. It should still produce the 1700ish players they need for 32 rosters. Except that there are not enough QBs to go around now and further concentration of talent into fewer places will probably produce even less.

We have money to blame for all this. And ourselves for encouraging it. We all wanted the TV money, and we got a lot by the way over the past 20 something years, but to what end? Money didnt make us any better on the field. But we have a nice locker room that didnt help. In the course of that journey traditional regional rivalries were destroyed along with entire conferences. The bowls were destroyed. New years day, gone. The euphoric excitement from seeing amateurism demonstrate that anyone could win feels lost (unless you watch basketball)

This game of musical chairs will continue. Theyre not done or satisfied and never will be. At some point they will whittle whats left of college football down to 20-30 teams in some super league with ever rising contracts that will pay billions. Just have to cull the herd to keep the important teams paid. Chances are good we will not be in. Ill even bet money they keep the playoff at 4 and rig it so its always 2 B1G teams versus 2 SEC teams.

The NFL might get a little concerned about all this. It should still produce the 1700ish players they need for 32 rosters. Except that there are not enough QBs to go around now and further concentration of talent into fewer places will probably produce even less.
WeightyFlawedFlickertailsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Wait. What's happening here?

A DBT hall-of-fame moment somehow became even more so. What's more DBT than discussing obscure sports personalities on forgotten networks? DBT forgetting that he posted his discussion about obscure sports personalities on forgotten networks and then posting again. My morning is complete.

Back