What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

That’s right. It’s got OTA channels in every major market, and it made its first move into sports by broadcasting LIV Golf. It wants more sports content.

The way I see the CW is that it provides linear distribution, but importantly linear distribution outside of a cable package. So, it’s operating in the same space as ABC, NBC, CBS as opposed to ESPN or FS1. It would also be exclusively focused on the PAC 12, so you might get a Friday night game, plus three nationally televised slots on Saturday. No other network can really offer that.

At the very least, it’s another potential bidder, which is never a bad thing.
That’s a really good point. Every other major network is potentially tapped out of open, workable slots. So if you don’t want to be buried on a streaming platform and want to air your game during a regular Saturday time slots, CW is a way to do that.

That’s a really good point. Every other major network is potentially tapped out of open, workable slots. So if you don’t want to be buried on a streaming platform and want to air your game during a regular Saturday time slots, CW is a way to do that.
Like Coach Prime, The CW ain’t hard to find.

Counting only conventional CW affiliates and over-the-air affiliates of The CW Plus, the network has an estimated combined national reach of 100% of all households in the United States (or 330,866,316 Americans with at least one television set); this makes The CW the largest U.S. broadcast network by population reach percentage.

Like Coach Prime, The CW ain’t hard to find.

Counting only conventional CW affiliates and over-the-air affiliates of The CW Plus, the network has an estimated combined national reach of 100% of all households in the United States (or 330,866,316 Americans with at least one television set); this makes The CW the largest U.S. broadcast network by population reach percentage.
I'm laughing at this not because I think it's silly, but because it actually makes so much sense that it would probably break sports Twitter if it was announced the the Pac 12 is going all in with the CW, ESPN and Amazon.

Six games/week (assuming they expand to 12), ESPN gets their Saturday night game and maybe one other, the CW gets three games to put wherever they want and Amazon gets a game. Broad linear distribution to the most households of any conference except the B1G, but also maintains a relationship with ESPN and starts one with the biggest company in the world.

Do you remember Valentines Day?
This was released a day before that.

11662569.jpeg

Seems so long ago.

Pac-12 has done a horrible job of PR. Beyond real problems of strategic mistakes and failure to get teams into the CFP and then the loss of LA, there's been a complete failure of brand management which fuels perception being worse than reality and people being quick to assume the worst. There's a lot to fix.
What's actually shocking to me is that Oregon has allowed this to happen.

I may misremembering this, but I seem to recall a time (back int he 90s) when Oregon was a niche regional brand. Oregon put tons of money into a national branding campaign, including (IIRC) Heisman billboards for Joey Harrington in NYC. As a result, Oregon is one of the 2 biggest brands left in the Pac12, if not the biggest.

I’m not really trying to shill for the CW, but I am old enough to remember when Fox was just a fledgling fourth network that aired shows centered around a screaming Morton Downey Jr. and Jerry Springer, long before it had any sports division. Fox was known for showing trashy shows that the other broadcast channels wouldn’t touch. I recall a journalist once commenting that the “state of morality in television is so low that all the networks would broadcast executions if they could, except Fox, which would broadcast nude executions.”

Now Fox and the venerable B1G conference are joined at the hip.

I’m not really trying to shill for the CW, but I am old enough to remember when Fox was just a fledgling fourth network that aired shows centered around a screaming Morton Downey Jr. and Jerry Springer, long before it had any sports division. Fox was known for showing trashy shows that the other broadcast channels wouldn’t touch. I recall a journalist once commenting that the “state of morality in television is so low that all the networks would broadcast executions if they could, except Fox, which would broadcast nude executions.”

True good points. They also came out with some hit shows (In Living Color, Cops, Tracy Ulman, Simpsons).

I don’t know anything about Nexstar, other than it sounds like Waystar Royco, but if this goes down it would signal they have big plans for CW.

End of the day we might never play on the CW because the top networks will be fighting for our games. A very under reported part of all of this - CU is the brand they all want first dibs on broadcast rights.

The same people in this thread are saying "No we don't want to be stuck on streaming" and "No we don't want to be on a network that is over the air in every market in the United States". Get a grip.
Those same people have an agenda that they occasionally explicitly admit then they go back to pretending like they are not biased. It's weird.

Pac-12 has done a horrible job of PR. Beyond real problems of strategic mistakes and failure to get teams into the CFP and then the loss of LA, there's been a complete failure of brand management which fuels perception being worse than reality and people being quick to assume the worst. There's a lot to fix.
From my biased perspective, this seems to be so true. Coach Prime and CU appear to really on top of PR and outdoing anything that the Pac-10 conference and the individual schools are doing. For example, we got the only spring game on the main ESPN, even outdoing their SEC & ACC monopoly.

Maybe it's as is when people are going to trial or at the (network) negotiating table, they'e advised not to discuss anything with the public.

From my biased perspective, this seems to be so true. Coach Prime and CU appear to really on top of PR and outdoing anything that the Pac-10 conference and the individual schools are doing. For example, we got the only spring game on the main ESPN, even outdoing their SEC & ACC monopoly.

Maybe it's as is when people are going to trial or at the (network) negotiating table, they'e advised not to discuss anything with the public.
True, I don’t remember anyone having details on which networks were involved in the B1G deal other than chatter ESPN likely declines bc of their SEC stake, which proved to be accurate.

I have a plan! CU goes independent and cuts a deal with ESPN or whoever is the highest bidder!!

San Diego State's success and name recognition was at an all-time high 5 days ago, wish we had a better sense of timing and momentum.

I'm laughing at this not because I think it's silly, but because it actually makes so much sense that it would probably break sports Twitter if it was announced the the Pac 12 is going all in with the CW, ESPN and Amazon.

Six games/week (assuming they expand to 12), ESPN gets their Saturday night game and maybe one other, the CW gets three games to put wherever they want and Amazon gets a game. Broad linear distribution to the most households of any conference except the B1G, but also maintains a relationship with ESPN and starts one with the biggest company in the world.

Imagine if we Magoo our way into a sweet deal with rising broadcasting companies in CW and Amazon that end up being as good as if not better than Big 12 like the stars aligned for us to get Coach Prime. It would be a fitting end to the running fiasco.

Imagine if we Magoo our way into a sweet deal with rising broadcasting companies in CW and Amazon that end up being as good as if not better than Big 12 like the stars aligned for us to get Coach Prime. It would be a fitting end to the running fiasco.
I should specify, not saying CW is some rising company, just that if they (extremely unlikely) and Amazon (less unlikely) end up being major sports broadcasting players in the next few years and we're aligned with them it would be fitting with how ridiculous everything has been for us since December.

Back