What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I think, and hope, this is all posturing by CU and also the Pac-12. Best way to get more in negotiations is to deal from strength or be able to show you can walk away from a deal (with have other options on the table). With Coach Prime and all the attention that CU is getting, the networks won't want to miss out on that opportunity. And other schools in the Pac-12 are better (brands) than the Big XII
CU is definitely looking for the best deal and keeping its options open.

The PAC is just a mess and has no leverage with anyone. I believe ESPN and FOX both have a vested interest in seeing the PAC destroyed. I’m not sure Paramount/CBS or Peacock NBC Universal care, and certainly Amazon doesn’t.

Apple would be bidding against bargain hunters. The negative PR has reached such a crescendo that any power the PAC had is surely gone after a year of dithering.

The conference was outmaneuvered after the other members were backstabbed by USC.

I think, and hope, this is all posturing by CU and also the Pac-12. Best way to get more in negotiations is to deal from strength or be able to show you can walk away from a deal (with have other options on the table). With Coach Prime and all the attention that CU is getting, the networks won't want to miss out on that opportunity. And other schools in the Pac-12 are better (brands) than the Big XII
Unfortunately, none of this is posturing by the Pac-12 to get a better TV deal. It's posturing from CU in the "Hey GK, get your **** together and announce any deal" arena. None of this is good for the Pac-12 though. If I'm a TV provider I want your schools threatening to leave because it puts the Pac in a take it or leave it position. Or, more realistically, a take it or die position. No TV provider is going to pay the ENTIRE Pac more money just for CU and CP. I would bet good money that there's not a TV provider out there that would willingly pay WSU/OSU/Cal/Furd/Zona $10M more per year just so they could show a couple of CU games, even with Coach Prime, they'll lose money on that every which way. Unless GK pulls a miracle out of his ass, and probably today, we're as good as gone and the Pac is as good as done.

Coach Prime is a flash in the pan. He might not be here in 5 years. The rights holders on the current contract get him for this fall in the last year of the current deal.

Unfortunately, none of this is posturing by the Pac-12 to get a better TV deal. It's posturing from CU in the "Hey GK, get your **** together and announce any deal" arena. None of this is good for the Pac-12 though. If I'm a TV provider I want your schools threatening to leave because it puts the Pac in a take it or leave it position. Or, more realistically, a take it or die position. No TV provider is going to pay the ENTIRE Pac more money just for CU and CP. I would bet good money that there's not a TV provider out there that would willingly pay WSU/OSU/Cal/Furd/Zona $10M more per year just so they could show a couple of CU games, even with Coach Prime, they'll lose money on that every which way. Unless GK pulls a miracle out of his ass, and probably today, we're as good as gone and the Pac is as good as done.

This conference **** itself in terms of football quality for most of the decade of irrelevance and those Presidents are the ones that set the table for this debacle.

Genuine question, why does that make a difference? The PAC also gets additional distributions for the bowls, playoffs, and the ncaa tournament, is the BIG12 distribution for those events more?
No. But they have a $30 million dollar base that we dont have. That math he is using is a bit questionable too given the number of teams to share with and the lofty bowls the conference would have to make.

Genuine question, why does that make a difference? The PAC also gets additional distributions for the bowls, playoffs, and the ncaa tournament, is the BIG12 distribution for those events more?

Given the Big 12's reputation in basketball, I'd give the Big 12 the edge in that area. Perhaps for bowl money as well. I would think that the P12 has beaten itself out of CFP contention one too many times too.

It stinks that money rules college sports these days.

Cal is going to be the Rutgers of this realignment cycle - finding their way to a totally undeserving windfall.

I will shed zero tears for that school if it gets left in something that resembles the MWC. They'll have to figure out how to pay for that costly stadium renovation.

Wonder if the Big 12 will take them as well. Apparently the network contracts say all P5 additions will get a full share. Have to wonder if UO, UW, Cal, Stanford go to the B1G and the other 5 are B12 bound.
Doesn’t fit the footprint. Big 12 will save spots for ACC members down the line.

Not sure any conference wants to take on the fiscal mess that is WSU.

Wonder if the Big 12 will take them as well. Apparently the network contracts say all P5 additions will get a full share. Have to wonder if UO, UW, Cal, Stanford go to the B1G and the other 5 are B12 bound.
Wazzu has barely any pull in the WA market. They are likely doing to the Mtn. weenie div. OSU has a little more traction, but not much, my guess is they go with Wazzu.

Pac killed themselves with all the stupid crap Larry Scott did with the initial TV negotiations, stupid Pac network, and wasted money on a multimillion dollar a year Pac HQ building lease. Could have saved things and expanded years ago with 4 teams, but the dumb university presidents thought college football was all about academics and "cultural fit" was the most important factor in adding any teams.

Good for USC and UCLA leaving the **** show when they did. It was clear there was nothing good happening with the TV negotiations a year ago.

A Big10 invite would have been amazing, but not going to happen. Only hope we go with other 4 corner schools to Big 12, get $30+ million a year.

Is this RGs burner account?? He’s been the AD for literally 10 years but it’s someone else’s fault. Amazing.
There are multiple problems with your original assertation:
  • He wasn't here when we moved to the Pac12 - he came later
  • Yes, he extended Mac. That made sense coming off the 10 win season. The problem was how ****ty the terms were in the contract. Same with the terms of Tucker's contract. Just terrible.
  • There is no right answer related to the next conference move. It is sort of like Dumb and Dumber, but I couldn't tell you which is a worse pile of ****.
Hiring KD was horrific. Anyone with a pulse knew that was going to end in a dumpster fire and even in the Covid year, it was easy to see how that was a total mirage. You know why he was allowed to do that? Because PD DGAF as long as it was in budget and KD wasn't controversial.

Now, if we sign a 99 year GOR to the B12, someone should be fired. But I expect that decision is being made well above RG's paygrade.

The easy move for BIG 10 right now is to add Stanford and CAL first before UO and Wazzu. You solve the travel issue, capture the entire California market and don’t have to deal with any state legislators holding stuff up.

The easy move for BIG 10 right now is to add Stanford and CAL first before UO and Wazzu. You solve the travel issue, capture the entire California market and don’t have to deal with any state legislators holding stuff up.
Except UO and Wazzu drive the ratings, not Cal and Stanford. It's all about the $

Both state legislatures will make desperate attempts to stave off a move (unsuccessfully).
Washington's legislative session was done April 23, although the Governor called a special session regarding narcotics. So the only way that they can do it is to call a special legislative session, which can be done either by the governor or by two thirds of the legislators. Governor Inslee is a UW grad for his BA. Would a UW grad call a special session to help WSU? And would 2/3rds of the legislature agree to a special session? Who knows. But having to call a special session means it is a lot harder than just having a regular vote.

Oregon's legislative session goes through June 25. Oregon's governor has a BA from UO (and a graduate degree from UW, FWIW), but I have no idea how that plays out politically.

You would think someone besides a sports talk radio host from Oklahoma would’ve confirmed any of that reporting in the week since he tweeted that.

Regardless, that doesn’t answer my question. As far as I know, the distributions for bowls, playoffs, and the ncaa tournament are proportional so unless I’m not aware of something or Dodd is making the argument that there will be a higher proportion of BIG12 teams in those events, that money differential doesn’t really matter. To me, it looks like Dodd is making his classic mistake, which is opening his mouth and proving he doesn’t understand even the basics of what he’s talking about. Dude has never changed.

Actual insiders like McMurphy and Dellenger have confirmed that there is smoke to the BIG12 rumors, hell even Howell has at this point. It would be nice if we could contain the rumors to actual respected, national journalists and not Dodd, random college football fans from BIG12 country, and parody Twitter accounts.

I’m not saying this is your take but wouldn’t this be the ideal, perfect time for the B1G to extend an invite to the PNW + Bay Area be… right now. 🤷‍♂️ It’s a rhetorical question. The answer is yes.

They like to think there’s some kind of moral, ethical debate about ending the P12. Or some lawsuit that is keeping it from happening. Pretty funny.

You would think someone besides a sports talk radio host from Oklahoma would’ve confirmed any of that reporting in the week since he tweeted that.

Regardless, that doesn’t answer my question. As far as I know, the distributions for bowls, playoffs, and the ncaa tournament are proportional so unless I’m not aware of something or Dodd is making the argument that there will be a higher proportion of BIG12 teams in those events, that money differential doesn’t really matter. To me, it looks like Dodd is making his classic mistake, which is opening his mouth and proving he doesn’t understand even the basics of what he’s talking about. Dude has never changed.

Actual insiders like McMurphy and Dellenger have confirmed that there is smoke to the BIG12 rumors, hell even Howell has at this point. It would be nice if we could contain the rumors to actual respected, national journalists and not Dodd, random college football fans from BIG12 country, and parody Twitter accounts.
I prefer going off the ramblings of random clowns. It's more fun.

if uw and uo were to join CU and ua in the b12 i would feel a little better about it-- at least there will actually be some peer schools coming along with actual academics and actual program history. i can't believe stanford and cal wouldn't be invited too. what would become of Arizona state in this scenario and utah? everyone figures that wsu and osu would be ****ed too?

how does all this work? it isn't making sense, man.

david byrne dancing GIF

That $20M figure isn't far off from what has been widely reported about what the offer is like on the table for the P12. It's still possible that Apple steps in and makes the P12 whole but that is not what some schools want. I think CU is one of those schools that want linear TV.

That OK guy has been in radio for 36 years...don't think he's going to throw away his reputation on some baseless stuff. Those OK guys take their football seriously which is an alien concept in the P12.

I will post tweets how I see fit.

also how big is the b12 willing to get?

add 4 to get to 16? or do they take 8 from the pac ? that seems like a lot?

but, if the pac block can solidify the cred of the b12 as an actual legit power conference, maybe we all save each other?

CU, cal, and byu and ucu and baylor in the same conference seems weird AF to me.

none of this is making any sense? my brain is breaking! aaaaaaaah.

GIF by Giphy QA

Back