What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Saw something from Wilner proposing the Pac move to a 10-game conference schedule to reduce costs and overall travel. Also would increase value of the Pac in a media deal.

It's an incredibly bad idea for getting teams into the playoffs, though. Even if there's an auto bid, it makes it damn difficult to have additional teams qualify for at-large bids since all those extra losses are built in vis a vis conferences that only play an 8-game schedule.

Saw something from Wilner proposing the Pac move to a 10-game conference schedule to reduce costs and overall travel. Also would increase value of the Pac in a media deal.

It's an incredibly bad idea for getting teams into the playoffs, though. Even if there's an auto bid, it makes it damn difficult to have additional teams qualify for at-large bids since all those extra losses are built in vis a vis conferences that only play an 8-game schedule.
how do you schedule 10 conference games when you only have 9 conference opponents?

Yeah, ain’t happening. CU has 6 future seasons with 3 OOC games already booked - who is picking up the tab for cancelling 6 future OOC games? I’d imagine a lot of other teams have similar issues.

RESOLVED that the Board of Regents go into executive session. As permitted by section 24-6-402 (3), Colorado Revised Statutes, the board will discuss the following matter as announced and pursuant to the subsection as listed below:
- (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - athletics matter at CU Boulder
- (b)(I), Personnel matter at CU System - personnel discussion

images

Is this about a future in the BIG12 or is GK pulling a rabbit out of his ass ?

Last edited:

Video this morning just released. Within this PodCast is Tim Brando believing the 4 corners are headed to Big12.
There's some good info here. Laugh all you want.

Just more smoke,

At the least, CU is playing hardball with the Pac. Significant leverage created by making it clear that the Pac media deal needs to be very competitive and that no unequal distributions of revenue will be acceptable other than earning a weighted share for your own postseason participation/ performance.

At the least, CU is playing hardball with the Pac. Significant leverage created by making it clear that the Pac media deal needs to be very competitive and that no unequal distributions of revenue will be acceptable other than earning a weighted share for your own postseason participation/ performance.
If all you got is Apple and CW with Apple owning all and licensing to other networks like the USA Network. They are limited. Research is what's keeping some of these universities in like ASU. Utah is the question mark.

If all you got is Apple and CW with Apple owning all and licensing to other networks like the USA Network. They are limited. Research is what's keeping some of these universities in like ASU. Utah is the question mark.
More about reputation through affiliation and attracting students and donors from CA than about actual research. I've asked a few tenured CU profs about the Pac research alliance and none of them were aware of it having any impact on their department.

If that isn't grasping at straws, I don't know what is.

i agree with this. it is a leverage play. CU was in a very tough spot when usc shanked the pac. creating optionality = some leverage we didn't previously have.

it is more than possible that all of the delays are actually all about rights and revenue distribution among the remaining pac teams. CU appears to have a very strong plan b. i am not sure oregon or uw currently have an actionable plan b. that helps us.

i agree with this. it is a leverage play. CU was in a very tough spot when usc shanked the pac. creating optionality = some leverage we didn't previously have.

it is more than possible that all of the delays are actually all about rights and revenue distribution among the remaining pac teams. CU appears to have a very strong plan b. i am not sure oregon or uw currently have an actionable plan b. that helps us.
Exactly. If UO/UW want leverage (it’s just rumors no one is sure), what justifies it and what do they want? Neither are clear. It might not just be money. Could be more exposure? It’s all guesswork.

More about reputation through affiliation and attracting students and donors from CA than about actual research. I've asked a few tenured CU profs about the Pac research alliance and none of them were aware of it having any impact on their department.
Seems like the days of Athletic Conferences and Academic Research Partnerships are over or really have no bearing on anything.
Find the Athletic Conference that fits your needs, and honestly, they are our enemy, not our friends
Put together all the partnerships and academic alliances you need to fulfill your academic and research needs separately.
Tying them together just lets academics and athletics get on each other's nerves.

Fwiw, I suspect the Big 12 might see more value in CU-UA-SDSU-UConn than with CU-UA-ASU-Utah. Doesn't duplicate markets while delivering significant new assets.
They are also adding Memphis and Gonzaga. SDSU is still a question mark.

Fwiw, I suspect the Big 12 might see more value in CU-UA-SDSU-UConn than with CU-UA-ASU-Utah. Doesn't duplicate markets while delivering significant new assets.
Utah is a weird one. They aren’t a national brand that attracts viewers just by their name, but they are a really good program, would immediately be the class of the Big12 and increase the football prestige of the conference. But, as you said, they duplicate the SLC market

Utah is a weird one. They aren’t a national brand that attracts viewers just by their name, but they are a really good program, would immediately be the class of the Big12 and increase the football prestige of the conference. But, as you said, they duplicate the SLC market
How big of a shoe will BYU throw about Utah getting invited too?

Back