What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I don't think anybody's going to the Big 10 here. When I saw Stanford and Cal brought up, that sealed it to me-I don't see any value with either of them. Not only that, Wetzel put out a tweet that said these conversations were "exploratory". Also thought I heard USC was told that they would not have to deal with Oregon in the Big 10, but I could be wrong. Probably would have to look at it-but I don't see.......the presidents of Illinois or Indiana going for this if they think its going to cost their schools anything. Last thing-The idea that they think the rest of the country is dumb enough to buy the idea that they're scavenging off the carcass that the Pac 12 now is is pretty funny too-they started this with the USC and UCLA move.

Food for thought on Utah-that adds the Holy War and allows the XII to pair CU with a former conference rival, rather than some sort of arranged marriage with BYU.

Last edited:
A scenario where Utah is forced to take a discount to be in the same conference as BYU is pure comedy. I would actually feel a little bad for the Yoots. That would leave a scar.

They can always open the grave of Larry H Miller and see if he has any coins in his pocket.

SWC teams left behind didn't sue. OSU & TX teams didn't sue. Big East left-behinds didn't sue.

I think Beavs & Cougs to the MWC will end up being the only schools that don't financially benefit from the upcoming realignment. So what exactly is the issue?
They don’t have to sue, States can tax and regulate. This is different because you have states being impacted by other states and private parties.

If Cal gets screwed, CA can just impose a sports broadcasting tax on all the sports networks doing business in the state to pay off the bonds. They could also have the public utility commission kick ESPN and Fox off the basic cable tier if they wanted to get petty. The States of Washington and Oregon could do the same thing if they get left behind in the 12, albeit they don’t have as big a stick as California does.

Gonna be a wild week.

Then we've got FSU pushing for clarity by its August 15th deadline (cheaper to leave by that date) but stating they hope to make a decision in the next month. The shakeout could be incredible.

Make sure to do a welfare check if you have any friends that are Beav or Wazzou fans. This situation sucks for them.

I’ve read a few very unflattering pieces on her that have said just the opposite - that she has been angling for a Presidential run since she started and doesn’t care who she steps on to get there. I also read she might run as an independent if she loses the primary (which she will), thus ensuring a republican pickup in the Senate.
She quit the D Party and announced as an Independent about 8 or so months ago. It will be a spectacle if she, Gallego (D) and Lake (R) all run. Lake is less and less popular around the state and is no shoe-in.

Gonna be a wild week.

Then we've got FSU pushing for clarity by its August 15th deadline (cheaper to leave by that date) but stating they hope to make a decision in the next month. The shakeout could be incredible.
I will bet you a hundred bucks that fsu doesn’t end up in the big in the next 6 months.

Aren't home games are the only ones owned by a university? Just go 'independant' and play road games and neural site games vs the Big Ten or SEC and collect a large check as a appearance fee or whatever each time. Coincidentally, have those fees add up to the same as a full share. Then figure out how to transfer ownership of doak walker to an outside entity and call it neutral site. Or play in Tampa or Jacksonville and wait it out until the ACC is ready to grant a buyout.

Aren't home games are the only ones owned by a university? Just go 'independant' and play road games and neural site games vs the Big Ten or SEC and collect a large check as a appearance fee or whatever each time. Coincidentally, have those fees add up to the same as a full share. Then figure out how to transfer ownership of doak walker to an outside entity and call it neutral site. Or play in Tampa or Jacksonville and wait it out until the ACC is ready to grant a buyout.
*independent

Also, you've got a shot at Message Board Geniuses with this post.

Aren't home games are the only ones owned by a university? Just go 'independant' and play road games and neural site games vs the Big Ten or SEC and collect a large check as an appearance fee or whatever each time. Coincidentally, have those fees add up to the same as a full share. Then figure out how to transfer ownership of doak walker to an outside entity and call it neutral site. Or play in Tampa or Jacksonville and wait it out until the ACC is ready to grant a buyout.
Nice thought, but I'm almost certain that the GOR is not written as "you pay us your home game broadcast value each year" but as "this is the stipulated contract value of your media rights and you agreed to pay us the full agreed-upon value for the life of the contract if you leave the conference."

I don’t understand why the B12 would rush to be the next domino to fall. Let the B1G kill the PAC, see what happens with the ACC, and then attack.

And just like that CU is left to fade away at the little kids table. This consolidation might have worked for CU if the B1G had waited for another 5-6 years, but having it move this fast means CU is locked out of the B1G and SEC. Yeah, B12 can pick up ACC schools, but nothing premium...Pitt/Louisville/NC State.

Hopefully, the end game is a three conference monster and CU can regularly be king of the little kids table, like back when CU was winning the B12 North.

If the B1G takes Wash/Stanford than Utah is effed.
My brother in law coaches a non revenue sport at Utah so I feel for him right now. However, the fact that Utah wouldn't even take the calls from the Big 12 and now could be completely left out is pretty hilarious. The self inflated ego is real at that School and I've seen it. I partly can't blame them as they have invested as much as anyone the past 15 or so years, but the arrogance with one decision could be their undoing.

swc was an entirely different thing and time. big east there was litigation.

who is going to sue? DOJ for one.

are we over the threshold yet? i dunno. but, i know for sure that the big is thinking about this very issue and it is playing a role in what they do next.

i mentioned a few of the aggrieved parties. there are many many more, of course. hell, there is so much duplicity and bad faith going around, it is easier to list who can't sue rather than who can.

sec is in the cat bird seat in my view.
Clearly the move for the B1G is to position this as an academic research alliance advertised through athletics. So after they add 9 schools via UW, UO, Cal, Furd, UVA, UNC, Miami, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame to get to 25, they just need to kick out Nebraska to be all AAU and pass the red face test.

And just like that CU is left to fade away at the little kids table. This consolidation might have worked for CU if the B1G had waited for another 5-6 years, but having it move this fast means CU is locked out of the B1G and SEC. Yeah, B12 can pick up ACC schools, but nothing premium...Pitt/Louisville/NC State.

Hopefully, the end game is a three conference monster and CU can regularly be king of the little kids table, like back when CU was winning the B12 North.
You have to look at the bright side, CU could still be languishing in the P12-x. The B1G, B12 and SEC are circling the Pac like lions stalking the crippled wildebeest in some Wild Kingdom special....

You have to look at the bright side, CU could still be languishing in the P12-x. The B1G, B12 and SEC are circling the Pac like lions stalking the crippled wildebeest in some Wild Kingdom special....

I acknowledge that CU will live to see another day. It doesn't make the knowledge that CU is now officially going to be looking up at the big boys for the rest of my life any more palatable.

Back