What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU In-State Recruiting 2019

Another Pueblo kid with a D-IA offer: Luc Andrada (Pueblo East) to AFA. QB/CB. Has multiple DI-AA/D2 offers at QB; but has been worked out at CB at camps for UCLA, ASU, CU, and Wyoming.

Won fastest man competition at CU and ASU camps with legit 4.4 40-speed (laser). 100m state champ with 10.66 time. Not a D-I QB (unless at AFA) but hard working kid; could be a DB.

Personal note, he is a good kid. Lives in my neighborhood and seen him at the park a few times with my daughters while he was taking his little sisters there to play.

BTW, CU barely gets any press or coverage down in Pueblo. No Pac-12 network on any basic tier TV and nothing on local press, never see a satellite camp down here, etc. You have to work hard to be a fan of the state flagship down here.

Another Pueblo kid with a D-IA offer: Luc Andrada (Pueblo East) to AFA. QB/CB. Has multiple DI-AA/D2 offers at QB; but has been worked out at CB at camps for UCLA, ASU, CU, and Wyoming.

Won fastest man competition at CU and ASU camps with legit 4.4 40-speed (laser). 100m state champ with 10.66 time. Not a D-I QB (unless at AFA) but hard working kid; could be a DB.

Personal note, he is a good kid. Lives in my neighborhood and seen him at the park a few times with my daughters while he was taking his little sisters there to play.

BTW, CU barely gets any press or coverage down in Pueblo. No Pac-12 network on any basic tier TV and nothing on local press, never see a satellite camp down here, etc. You have to work hard to be a fan of the state flagship down here.
CU needs to do a better job with that in Pueblo, mountain towns & western slope.

CU needs to do a better job with that in Pueblo, mountain towns & western slope.

CU does need to do a better job outside the front range in terms of PR but is this kid really a CU prospect? I could see him as a PWO.

Cost/benefit. How many kids would CU realistically take from those areas every year? One maybe two if it's a red letter year? The Solders and Moellers are the exception.

Cost/benefit. How many kids would CU realistically take from those areas every year? One maybe two if it's a red letter year? The Solders and Moellers are the exception.
I'm not thinking in terms of recruiting - despite the post to which I was responding or the forum we are in. I'm thinking in terms of getting thousands more people from around the state driving to Folsom for games and many times that watching the games at CU parties or CU bars.

I'm not thinking in terms of recruiting - despite the post to which I was responding or the forum we are in. I'm thinking in terms of getting thousands more people from around the state driving to Folsom for games and many times that watching the games at CU parties or CU bars.
Fair

This exactly.

A different kind of recruiting. Also, attracting more general students to the university. It’s a no-brainer.

This Nebraska series reminded me, remember a few years ago where Eric Lee and Avery Anderson were the #1 and #2 Colorado recruits and they BOTH went to Nebraska?

It's not like we've totally locked down in-state recruiting, but I don't think that would happen today (especially since this is DBU after all). IIRC they had Husker ties, but still. I think we're doing a lot better job recruiting in our own backyard.

This Nebraska series reminded me, remember a few years ago where Eric Lee and Avery Anderson were the #1 and #2 Colorado recruits and they BOTH went to Nebraska?

It's not like we've totally locked down in-state recruiting, but I don't think that would happen today (especially since this is DBU after all). IIRC they had Husker ties, but still. I think we're doing a lot better job recruiting in our own backyard.
They did have the decency to change their home states on their nu bios.

No, they were not the #1 and #2 recruits out of Colorado. They both were rated highly by the services but their offer list didn't match their ranking. IIRC CU didn't even offer Anderson (which turned out to be a good decision.)

They were close friends growing up and Lee's dad was a Nebraska guy through and through having gone to school there and still having some professional connections to the school.

Lee Sr. spent a lot of time around the Pine Creek program when his son was there spouting Nebraska love, likely a big influence in Jojo Domann going there although Domann's dad is an agent who represented a number of former Nebraska players as well.

These guys are outliers, not some indication that Nebraska has some pipeline to Colorado High Schools.

Just did some quick searching on him. He has a verified 40 time of 4.93 from back in April. I have no doubt he is a hard nosed solid RB here in CO, but not sure that cuts it at the FBS level.

Last edited:
Same with Zach Weinmaster. Good, hard nosed football player but probably not much of a next level guy. He sure played on one helluva good team, though.

Just did some quick searching on him. He has a verified 40 time of 4.93 from back in April. I have no doubt he is a hard nosed solid RB here in CO, but not sure that cuts it at the FBS level.

I hope he gets PWO. Agree he is not a RB, but is a solid athlete. Maybe he could take the Ryan Moeller route and move to safety.

I hope he gets PWO. Agree he is not a RB, but is a solid athlete. Maybe he could take the Ryan Moeller route and move to safety.
The kid is SLOW. We don't need any 194 pound guys who run a 4.93. Not even as a PWO. A 4.93 guy at safety? Ludicrous. Doesn't help you to practice against that. There is a reason he doesn't even have any FCS offers.

I hope he gets PWO. Agree he is not a RB, but is a solid athlete. Maybe he could take the Ryan Moeller route and move to safety.[/QUOTE
Moeller was a legitimate 4.5 guy and probably had an extra 10 lbs on the Roper kid out of high school. It doesn’t matter how good of a football player you may be, even safeties at the P5 level have to run a sub 4.7. There comes a point where technique and instincts can only take you so far. That being said, I would love to see the Roper kid over here on the West Slope at Mesa.

I read somewhere (I'd credit it, but forget where I read it), that the top 17 recruits in the state of Arizona are all leaving the state.....

I remember stating a long time ago on here that I felt like Colorado kids (and Arizona kids) were very similar in that they don't generally have generational ties to the state, are fairly upwardly mobile often times, and just culturally just seem to think it's cool to leave the state for college. I high-schooled in AZ, my nephews etc are all down there (think Rattler's school but also perhaps the top PG in the country in Mannion, Pinnacle HS). My kids went to HS in Boulder County. I see a lot of similarities. AZ is producing way more now.

The kid is SLOW. We don't need any 194 pound guys who run a 4.93. Not even as a PWO. A 4.93 guy at safety? Ludicrous. Doesn't help you to practice against that. There is a reason he doesn't even have any FCS offers.

He’s going to Dartmouth so we don’t have to worry about that.

Thinking about it more, not sure that tweet is as good a burn as Howell thinks it is.

Thinking about it more, not sure that tweet is as good a burn as Howell thinks it is.
Yeah, I think I agree with you.

The schools that didn’t land many top 15 players in-state likely wanted to. Especially in talent rich states like California and Arizona. That’s not a great counter to Stephens’ point that we don’t offer enough Colorado kids.

It might be better look at total in-state offers sent by each school, and then throw that research in the trash because it’s a worthless stat.

CU recruits plenty of great CO players each year and there will always be some that aren’t recruited for one reason or another. Stephens will continue to highlight those few because he enjoys trolling CU fans.

One year does not make a trend, especially when many of those programs are down. Last year 7 of the top 10 stayed in Washington, 6 of the top 7 stayed in California, 8 stayed in Utah, and that's more typical. They don't usually lose their top prospects to middling programs. Also, none of those other states are Colorado - it's easier to see why they'd want to leave.

Back