What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

I’ll seed that argument on Tucker’s resume, but Lake has an “it” factor, and sure Lake being the next Petersen is probably wishful thinking, but I liked the association. I thought Lake was similar in reputation to Justin Wilcox—a thoughtful, dynamic coordinator on the west coast.

Tucker might be that guy too, I just know the SEC fairly well, and while the good programs have good coaches, sometimes they’re just cogs in a machine. Like I doubt UGA’s defense is going to drop off much next year. They’ll find another guy to make sure their blue chip athletes are in the right place. Maybe Tucker’s more than that.

You make some good points here.

But I think it is undeniable Georgia found something pretty special with the Smart/Tucker duo. Not the Georgia of old at all. But for two close losses to Alabama in less than a year, Georgia would have a strong argument for being the top program in the country. That is rarified air.

Sure.

But implying Petersen is a pretty boy and his teams are soft is really ****ing dumb.
If anything, the knock on Petersen right now is that he's gone from being an offensive innovator who made trick plays staples of his system to becoming a grind-it-out, old school type coach with his offense. Washington's the most physical team in the Pac-12. Not Utah. Not Stanford.

I find it interesting to see all the things everything thinks up in their minds to defend their position on the coach they want. Picking a coach is a crap shoot. You interview them and pray to god they have the intangibles to succeed. Why do you guys think there is so much turnover? Every head coach was a 1st time head coach, you gotta start somewhere.

Sure.

But implying Petersen is a pretty boy and his teams are soft is really ****ing dumb.

If we had hired Lake, no would be crying about us hiring the DC from a soft defense.

Lake is the PrettyBoy. More tongue in cheek than serious. HCMT seems a bit more “gritty”

It sort of goes without saying that Tucker and Lake may not be the Defensive Geniuses that built and architected those great defenses. But they both seem to have great personalities, and "command the room" types of personalities that can lend themselves to being great HC's. The interview process should not make assumptions, but ferret out whether they can bring that same X/O system as well as run the program like a good CEO. If that's all true, then it isn't too relevant to me who built those defenses. Can they assess Assistant's abilities? Can they recruit? Can they lead?

I’ve been browsing stories on multiple sites for multiple teams. Louisville fans were pushing the narrative for Tucker as well for them. The one constant I’ve seen is that the national consensus is that we’re the worst P5 team in the history of ever. The sheer amount of comments and stories I’ve seen talking about how weird it is for him to choose here or how there would be “better jobs available next year” is kind of saddening. We have truly fallen off the map and if RG does indeed pull off this hire it seems that he is a Jedi master. MM was right when he went off in his last interview. Tucker is just what this program needs, someone to kick everyone in the ass.

It sort of goes without saying that Tucker and Lake may not be the Defensive Geniuses that built and architected those great defenses. But they both seem to have great personalities, and "command the room" types of personalities that can lend themselves to being great HC's. The interview process should not make assumptions, but ferret out whether they can bring that same X/O system as well as run the program like a good CEO. If that's all true, then it isn't too relevant to me who built those defenses. Can they assess Assistant's abilities? Can they recruit? Can they lead?

Read nothing but praise from coaches and players alike about Tucker. The way he’s coached them, motivates them, teaches them and how he is fatherly. Great recruiter, great leader, smart coach. I need confirmation because I’m getting more excited by the minute and equally more antsy.

I'm curious how a staff is put together if Tucker is going to coach the rest of the season. Seems like it should take a lot of thought and time to put together a group who will work together well and complement each other. While it might be nice to have RG's input, I hope he doesn't have anything like a final say in those decisions. Any indication he become full time at CU right away?

Someone seems to have edited this.

oJtraH0_d.jpg

I find it interesting to see all the things everything thinks up in their minds to defend their position on the coach they want. Picking a coach is a crap shoot. You interview them and pray to god they have the intangibles to succeed. Why do you guys think there is so much turnover? Every head coach was a 1st time head coach, you gotta start somewhere.
It’s what we do. Pick a position with varying levels of incomplete information and then defend it regardless of any new information we come across. It’s a model that should feel really familiar in our culture well beyond sports.

I'm curious how a staff is put together if Tucker is going to coach the rest of the season. Seems like it should take a lot of thought and time to put together a group who will work together well and complement each other. While it might be nice to have RG's input, I hope he doesn't have anything like a final say in those decisions. Any indication he become full time at CU right away?

He'll do double duty, don't worry. He may go back to coach the bowl game if he wants, but the important bit are the next 2.5 weeks until the early signing and dead period and I very strongly assume he'll work for CU During that period.

I dont think he coaches the bowl game. If they are playing for a NC I would think differently. If they dont make the top 4 I think he would be done. Too much to do here and I would assume he wants to get a quick start on recruit evaluations and getting the staff put together.

He'll do double duty, don't worry. He may go back to coach the bowl game if he wants, but the important bit are the next 2.5 weeks until the early signing and dead period and I very strongly assume he'll work for CU During that period.

If he’s the coach and he isn’t recruiting over the next few weeks I’ll be very scared for our future.

I dont think he coaches the bowl game. If they are playing for a NC I would think differently. If they dont make the top 4 I think he would be done. Too much to do here and I would assume he wants to get a quick start on recruit evaluations and getting the staff put together.

There's a recruiting dead period from Dec 17 to Jan 10, so essentially the entire bowl season. I think the key is to have him available and on the road the next 2.5 weeks, the stuff after that can be done remotely if needed.

I’ve been browsing stories on multiple sites for multiple teams. Louisville fans were pushing the narrative for Tucker as well for them. The one constant I’ve seen is that the national consensus is that we’re the worst P5 team in the history of ever. The sheer amount of comments and stories I’ve seen talking about how weird it is for him to choose here or how there would be “better jobs available next year” is kind of saddening. We have truly fallen off the map and if RG does indeed pull off this hire it seems that he is a Jedi master. MM was right when he went off in his last interview. Tucker is just what this program needs, someone to kick everyone in the ass.
MM contributed to this narrative

There's a recruiting dead period from Dec 17 to Jan 10, so essentially the entire bowl season. I think the key is to have him available and on the road the next 2.5 weeks, the stuff after that can be done remotely if needed.
True, forgot about the dead period, however still needs to get the staff and contracts done

You make some good points here.

But I think it is undeniable Georgia found something pretty special with the Smart/Tucker duo. Not the Georgia of old at all. But for two close losses to Alabama in less than a year, Georgia would have a strong argument for being the top program in the country. That is rarified air.

Yep, they’re good. I think the same Saban or Smart argument will apply to Tucker, we’ll find out.

Back