What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

Saying groupthink isn't a great argument. It does point out that you can't articulate why the group is wrong tho. If you weren't so bad at coming up with reasons why the hire is bad, maybe you wouldn't be so lonely in your corner with your equally inarticulate friends.

If you read what I've written on this, I've been pretty clear as to why I think this is a bad hire-Tucker has no experience coaching west of Chicago. That offense (which he will likely run-I would put money on him bringing James Coley with him as his play caller) doesn't fit our personnel. There is no reason why this hire (and I'd say the same thing if Lake, Day, or any of the other names we've talked about were in this spot) should not be expected to improve on the results we've seen the last two years. There's talent here on both sides of the football. We are a Washington State loss in their bowl game away from every single team in this league losing at least three games for the second year in a row-the epitome of mediocrity.

If you read what I've written on this, I've been pretty clear as to why I think this is a bad hire-Tucker has no experience coaching west of Chicago. That offense (which he will likely run-I would put money on him bringing James Coley with him as his play caller) doesn't fit our personnel. There is no reason why this hire (and I'd say the same thing if Lake, Day, or any of the other names we've talked about were in this spot) should not be expected to improve on the results we've seen the last two years. There's talent here on both sides of the football. We are a Washington State loss in their bowl game away from every single team in this league losing at least three games for the second year in a row-the epitome of mediocrity.
Just inventing standards is a great tactic. Doesn't fit our personnel!? What?

What offense fits our current personnel? We need new personnel, not an offense that fits a very mediocre roster.

Just inventing standards is a great tactic. Doesn't fit our personnel!? What?

Dude have you seen our offensive line play? And inventing standards-Call me crazy, Snow, but I expect more than 2 wins in conference and last place finishes in the ****ing division we play in. Not hard given what we've got coming back at QB, skill positions, and defensively to expect improvements on those numbers from Tucker (especially if he's as good of a coach as you all think he is) or whoever this is.

I would argue our offensive personnel doesn’t fit our current scheme either. Since you know, we were pretty terrible on offense against everyone in the P5.

What offense fits our current personnel? We need new personnel, not an offense that fits a very mediocre roster.

Again-have you seen the O-Line? Steven Montez will be back-and he's going to get drafted. I don't think I need to say anything more about LaViska Shenault, and I thought KD Nixon had a pretty good year. I'm intrigued by the depth at WR-Tony Brown, Arias, and Stanley. I'd rather spread it out and get the ball to the talent we've got there right now.

He'll do double duty, don't worry. He may go back to coach the bowl game if he wants, but the important bit are the next 2.5 weeks until the early signing and dead period and I very strongly assume he'll work for CU During that period.
This would certainly be in his best interest too.

Dude have you seen our offensive line play? And inventing standards-Call me crazy, Snow, but I expect more than 2 wins in conference and last place finishes in the ****ing division we play in. Not hard given what we've got coming back at QB, skill positions, and defensively to expect improvements on those numbers from Tucker (especially if he's as good of a coach as you all think he is) or whoever this is.
Those are all arguments for firing our old coach, which we did, they have nothing to do with who we hired.

1. Yes, you invented the standard of "not fitting our personnel" as a reason Tucker is a bad coach. Not only are you the only one who is using this standard (thank godness), you failed Tucker because you invented evidence about what offense he is going to run. Conclusion: you are making up information in order to fit a pre-conceived conclusion. There is no logical basis for your conclusion, just the conclusion itself. I will leave it up to others to figure out why you don't like this guy, but it sure isn't because of he "doesn't fit our personnel."

2. What the **** are you talking about with your post? It's rambling and incoherent. It also addresses a standard of success for next year, which is an entirely different topic irrelevant to whether you think Tucker is a good hire now.

Again-have you seen the O-Line? Steven Montez will be back-and he's going to get drafted. I don't think I need to say anything more about LaViska Shenault, and I thought KD Nixon had a pretty good year. I'm intrigued by the depth at WR-Tony Brown, Arias, and Stanley. I'd rather spread it out and get the ball to the talent we've got there right now.
The answer is not to hire a coach who can “hide” a terrible offensive line, it’s to hire a staff that can bring in better players.

I love Shenault, but this team will be much better with better line play and depth all around than to hire a coach who will just find new, creative ways to ride the few talented players we have (like Shenault).

Edit: your strategy seems to be what Arizona tried with Sumlin - we have this awesome QB so let’s hire someone the QB likes and will utilize him the best. How’s that working out for them?

Am I taking crazy pills? We shouldn't hire a guy who's pedigree should expect to result in a decade of elite coaching at our program, because.... his philosophy doesn't fit the kids who will play in 2019?
Nah, ahoelk just doesn't like Tucker and is making **** up to justify it. I especially like the idea that the offensive line doesn't fit his abilities.

They're also arguments to expect that this person can have success right away......
Very short term thinking. I’d rather we fix the problems on the roster and develop talent, depth, and stout line play to compete in this conference long-term. Hiring a coach to fit current personnel with the goal of squeezing out 1-2 more wins immediately is a terrible way to hire a coach IMO.

have you even watched Georgia play the last couple of years?

there's a lot more 4-5 wide than there is lining up with 2 TEs and a fullback. Most of it is out of the shotgun. They even have some read option despite Fromm not being the most mobile guy. They have amazing RBs and have a physical running game.

The skill positions are pretty good, even great in a few spots, but we all know the core is comparatively weak physically and fundamentally. That’s going to take some cycles of recruiting and coaching to fix.

The 2019 schedule is challenging. HCMT should make the team a more determined, gritty team next season. That may translate into winning a game, maybe two, they otherwise shouldn’t with the existing personnel. That’s about all we should expect IMO.

have you even watched Georgia play the last couple of years?

there's a lot more 4-5 wide than there is lining up with 2 TEs and a fullback. Most of it is out of the shotgun. They even have some read option despite Fromm not being the most mobile guy. They have amazing RBs and have a physical running game.

Their offensive lineman are a hell of a lot better than ours are, which helps with this........

Very short term thinking. I’d rather we fix the problems on the roster and develop talent, depth, and stout line play to compete in this conference long-term. Hiring a coach to fit current personnel with the goal of squeezing out 1-2 more wins immediately is a terrible way to hire a coach IMO.

Why is doing both that hard though? This is not a rebuild.

Am I the only one who doesn’t give a **** what offense or defense we run if we win a lot of games? I mean, call me crazy but I would be very ecstatic if we looked anything like Georgia on offense and defense. They’re incredible.

Nah, ahoelk just doesn't like Tucker and is making **** up to justify it. I especially like the idea that the offensive line doesn't fit his abilities.

I'll gladly eat my words if I'm wrong, but you're right on that Snow-I don't like Tucker and don't think he's a fit here.

Why is doing both that hard though? This is not a rebuild.

Again. You’re basing your entire conclusion on things you don’t even know. The coach hasn’t even been officially announced and you’re criticizing who we’re going to be as a team. You don’t know who the coordinators are even going to be or what the identity of this team will be. We were badly coached, teams with worse talent won more. Teams with the same talent (wash st.) were much better.

Maybe a big reason why the Oline was so bad, was due to poor coaching.

Back