What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

I don't want to hear "Oh, well...its the first year with a new coach" if we see 5-7 next year.
I would gladly take a 5-7 season next year if it means young guys are actually getting an opportunity to challenge non-performing upper classmen, toughness is improved, we are developing an identity, and recruiting is picking up - those are all signs of long term improvement. We didn’t just hire a guy to make a bowl game next season.

I would gladly take a 5-7 season next year if it means young guys are actually getting an opportunity to challenge non-performing upper classmen, toughness is improved, we are developing an identity, and recruiting is picking up - those are all signs of long term improvement. We didn’t just hire a guy to make a bowl game next season.

I would not. I expect this guy, whether its Mel Tucker or anybody else we've discussed over the last three weeks to be able to build for the future while being able to take advantage of a senior QB who is going to be an NFL draft pick and some solid WRs to get 7-8 wins next season.

I would not. I expect this guy, whether its Mel Tucker or anybody else we've discussed over the last three weeks to be able to build for the future while being able to take advantage of a senior QB who is going to be an NFL draft pick and some solid WRs to get 7-8 wins next season.

Your standard for success for the next head coach (likely Tucker) who has no head coaching experience is 7-8 wins in his first season? Here’s a better question...explain to me in detail and facts why the candidate that you prefer would be better able to fix all the issues of this team and lead the team to 7-8 wins in his first year? What exactly is 1 coach going to be able to do that the other cannot? I’ll wait for your response. Keep in mind coordinators are not hired for any candidate. So this would be how the head coach can directly affect the teams success all by himself.

Is there a reason to think that even if we bring georgia’s system in that the new guy isnt going to figure out that we have a ****ty line and tweak his play calling in the first year accordingly? Why is it a given that melvin tucker cant see whats right in front of him?
Any OC worth a damn adapts to their personnel, not the other way around. You can then morph the offense into what you want over time rather than put a square peg in a round hole.

You can hire a guy based on the personnel you have, and especially a QB, in the NFL where you can keep your core long term and a QB might be with you for 15 years, but in college?!? When the QB is a senior and your star receiver is going pro after 2019?

Dude have you seen our offensive line play? And inventing standards-Call me crazy, Snow, but I expect more than 2 wins in conference and last place finishes in the ****ing division we play in. Not hard given what we've got coming back at QB, skill positions, and defensively to expect improvements on those numbers from Tucker (especially if he's as good of a coach as you all think he is) or whoever this is.

You are what your record says you are, and this is a 5-7 team on a 7 game losing streak. The offense was underwhelming [to be kind]. You stating that we've got enough talent coming back to improve doesn't make it true.

Your standard for success for the next head coach (likely Tucker) who has no head coaching experience is 7-8 wins in his first season? Here’s a better question...explain to me in detail and facts why the candidate that you prefer would be better able to fix all the issues of this team and lead the team to 7-8 wins in his first year? What exactly is 1 coach going to be able to do that the other cannot? I’ll wait for your response. Keep in mind coordinators are not hired for any candidate. So this would be how the head coach can directly affect the teams success all by himself.

In this conference? Yeah-you're damn straight it is.

I think James Coley is obviously someone he’d consider as his OC. He’s currently making $850k. Would we pony up that kind of money, likely $1mil a year? I saw where he turned down a&m last year and they can surely afford him. Maybe he wouldn’t be interested even if the money was right

Winning 7 games next year with a system that fits a s**tty offensive line is more important to him than actually improving the program long term. So he’s set his expectations so that if we fall short of 7-8 wins he can claim he was right a Tucker is a failure regardless of anything else he does.

Winning 7 games next year with a system that fits a s**tty offensive line is more important to him than actually improving the program long term. So he’s set his expectations so that if we fall short of 7-8 wins he can claim he was right a Tucker is a failure regardless of anything else he does.

So, any one who expects 6 wins next year is delusional. Got it.

In this conference? Yeah-you're damn straight it is.

That’s not even a reason or a response. If you don’t have any reasons than you have no argument. I like Tucker for what he’s historically known for. Tell me how other hires could directly affect the team where he could not, in detail. You can’t, because you don’t know, because nobody knows what these coaches can or will do.

Why don’t you just say. “He may be good, he may be bad but I honestly don’t know what the future holds but I have doubts about his fit.”

Everything else you’re saying is pure bull****.

Regarding the OL, the system some of you think we don't have the personnel to implement is actually easier. Zone blocking schemes on "find the hole, plant and go" type runs with some zone read stuff. Zone blocking assignments in pass protection. I actually think our OL talent starts looking a hell of a lot better if we do that and tell them they all need to show up to fall camp weighing over 300 lbs.

Last edited:
If you read what I've written on this, I've been pretty clear as to why I think this is a bad hire-Tucker has no experience coaching west of Chicago. That offense (which he will likely run-I would put money on him bringing James Coley with him as his play caller) doesn't fit our personnel. There is no reason why this hire (and I'd say the same thing if Lake, Day, or any of the other names we've talked about were in this spot) should not be expected to improve on the results we've seen the last two years. There's talent here on both sides of the football. We are a Washington State loss in their bowl game away from every single team in this league losing at least three games for the second year in a row-the epitome of mediocrity.
Oh please. He's a great recruiter.

Regarding the OL, the system some of you think we don't have the personnel to implement is actually easier. Zone blocking schemes on "find the hole, plant and go" type runs with some zone read stuff. Zone blocking assignments in pass protection. I actually think our OL talent starts looking a hell of a lot better if we do that and tell them they all need to show up to fall camp weighing over 300 lbs.

Or hit the JC ranks hard, 1 or 2 legit guys could make big difference next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
No but anyone who will label Tucker a success or failure based solely on our record next year absent any other considerations is a moron.

I would say the same for fans who think a winning record or bowl game shouldn't be expected next year. If tucker and his staff can't squeeze one more win out of this group, that would be a bummer no?

For the way-too-early thread that’s yet to come, here’s my take on the 2019 schedule, not knowing what Mel Tucker does, how he does it, with whom he does it.

Wins:
CSU
Air Force (home)
Arizona (home)
UCLA (away)

Toss ups:
Nebraska (home)
Airizona State (away)

Likely losses:
Stanford (home)
USC (home)
Washington (home)
Oregon (away)
Utah (away)
Washington State (away)

To me, they’re a 6-6 team next season with existing talent and new coaching.

I think James Coley is obviously someone he’d consider as his OC. He’s currently making $850k. Would we pony up that kind of money, likely $1mil a year? I saw where he turned down a&m last year and they can surely afford him. Maybe he wouldn’t be interested even if the money was right

obviously no idea what Coley is thinking, but he was OC under Fisher at FSU. Fisher calls plays so maybe it just wasn't worth it for a lateral move. Offer $1 million a year and let him call plays and maybe he comes.

Or maybe he just loves the southeast and doesn't want to leave.

also, bonus points would be seeing assholeskin's head explode when he gets hired

Any OC worth a damn adapts to their personnel, not the other way around. You can then morph the offense into what you want over time rather than put a square peg in a round hole.

Exactly. There is no good reason to think that Melvin Tucker wouldnt hire an OC thats worth a damn, and that Jimmy Lake or whomever would.

Back