What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

Poked around some Dawg boards and pretty unanimous that they think he is a huge loss. Also they dont think he has even interviewed yet fyi. Perhaps premature to announce him. But... no denial on either side must mean it's a 99% done deal

I just don’t see rising star with this guy, more like a guy who’s just been around football and the right people long enough that he’s just moving onto the next progression in his career. I have a feeling he would’ve gone anywhere that would take him, and that just happened to be us this cycle.

Hope I’m wrong. Gonna have to see more to get excited about this guy.

Last edited:
I wonder how the current roster will take to such a huge culture change...I’m guessing it’s gonna be much more hard-nosed and smash mouth. That’s what I consider to be Buff football but not really MMacs style.

I just don’t see rising star with this guy, more like a guy who’s just been around football and the right people long enough that he’s just moving onto the next progression in his career. I have a feeling he would’ve gone anywhere that would take him, and that just happened to be us this cycle.

Hope I’m wrong. Gonna have to see more to get excited about this guy.

I remember the last rising star we hired . . .

600x360

I wonder how the current roster will take to such a huge culture change...I’m guessing it’s gonna be much more hard-nosed and smash mouth. That’s what I consider to be Buff football but not really MMacs style.
I have the same wonder. A lot of the roster is ill equipped for the style Tucker brings. Could be while before things shake out.

This is big time. We over use some phrases, but sometimes they apply and mean what they're supposed to mean. So "big time"... and "big boy" and "big tent". Rick George is true to his word that his vision is to win championships. This is the type of move you make when you won't accept mediocrity. Mel Tucker is the candidate I was afraid to let myself get excited about. You guys know I wanted offense. You guys know how much I care about recruiting footprint. What you don't know is that I've been watching interviews & mic'd up stuff and reading everything I could find on Tucker the past couple days... and I am convinced he's got that gravitational personalty like McCartney had. This is the kind of man who pulls people into his vision and makes them true believers. We got a great one. I sincerely believe that.
Yes! Give him 3 Brinks trucks and copious amounts of whatever his version of a mountain of Pepsi is. Barring the unforeseen, welcome Coach Tucker. Hell of a hire RG!

I remember when Food Cart was a done deal too, until it wasn't.

and Gary Kubiak took the job "in principle" or something the night before backing out......but, seriously, a lot to like about the hire. ready for what's next....

This doesn’t suck. I honestly thought he was a long shot.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into any perceived failures at the NFL level. As I’ve opined before, I prefer a guy who has had some failures and has obviously learned from them. Guys who have never failed haven’t had to make the necessary changes to overcome those failures.

Exciting times for the CU program. I’m looking forward to seeing what he’s able to do with next years team. We have talent. This isn’t a rebuild.

Great hire, if true, by Rick George. I hope Mel can add a few gems to the recruiting class while building his staff. But that is just short-term stuff; long-term I couldn't be more excited about this hire!

Will definitely be interested in his OC hire and style of offense. I would assume he sticks with the base 3-4 defense and a complimentary Pro style offense; but we'll see.

Back