What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

Are we sure B_walk didn’t start this thread?!?
tenor.gif

(The excitement over this is overloading the AB server - takes a long time to load)

This is exciting. Rick George is doing what Larry Scott and the Pac-12 hasn't been doing, bringing SEC level football to Colorado and the conference. This is up there with bringing McCartney here from Michigan quality football and his recruiting prowess.

I would bet this all but assures Chev being retained in some capacity. I’m hopeful it’s not as OC, but rather WR/RC and he can help incoming staff members get comfortable in the West. He has all the necessary relationships with the main programs we want to recruit, so I think it’s actually important to keep him in the fold.

I would bet this all but assures Chev being retained in some capacity. I’m hopeful it’s not as OC, but rather WR/RC and he can help incoming staff members get comfortable in the West. He has all the necessary relationships with the main programs we want to recruit, so I think it’s actually important to keep him in the fold.
Tee Martin is also out there. Awesome recruiter, could find a role for him on our staff too.

Yup, it’s definitely real. Renck, Feldman and everyone else reporting it. I’m actually really excited about this right now. He knows how to win and has been there. He knows how to coach and reportedly knows how to develop. He knows how to recruit big time kids all over the east and south. This could be just what we need! Load up on some guys who know California and let Tucker be the closer and we could start pulling recruits from across the US. **** yeah!! Rooting for the Dawgs today. GO BUFFS!! Take my money CU and give me my tickets.

Tucker’s first-step goal needs to be beating USC, a la McCartney making Nebraska the red letter game of the season.
I think there’s a chance for one of UGA’s current offensive coaches to follow him and become OC. Most dawg fans expect multiple staff members (not necessarily all assistant coaches) to follow him. James Coley (Co-OC/QBs), Dan Lanning (OLB) and Dell McGee (AHC/RBs) are a few names some of them have mentioned, although all 3 are not likely.

This is awesome. I really didn't think Tucker was in play so didn't put much thought into it. I'm really pumped.

You don't keep getting coordinator jobs under guys like Tressel, Saban, and Smart if you are not a very good coach. This dude will bring the type of fire this team has been missing and he checks the biggest box. He can recruit lights out and he will demand it with his entire staff. My only question is who will be his offensive coordinator? He needs to hit that out of the park. Sounds like Georgia fans are really scared that he may take Del McGee with him as his O Coordinator.

He's a good coach in the SEC. Its easy to recruit there. Getting 4 and 5 star kids to commit to Boulder is the challenge. I don't see anything in his track record that shows that ability.

He's a good coach in the SEC. Its easy to recruit there. Getting 4 and 5 star kids to commit to Boulder is the challenge. I don't see anything in his track record that shows that ability.
This narrative needs to die. Recruiting is a mindset and natural ability to be personable and sell a recruit. Recruiting to Georgia is “easy” in that you are fishing in a deeer pond, but you’re also directly competing against Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Ohio State, Clemson, ND, FSU, Miami, Auburn, etc for every single recruit.

I didn’t think he was on our radar because I thought he was out of CU’s league. This is as “home run of a hire” as you could get. If true, this is a huge hire for CU. I couldn’t be happier right now I just need the ****ing announcement so I can sit down and relax and realize this is happening
This is the attitude I'm taking right now.

I could see him retaining his co-OC/WR role, but moving back to non-playcalling.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Mel-Tucker-3447/Recruits/

Very good and does leave GA/FL a bit, unlike much of the staff.

Probably the best are RB coach Dell McGee https://247sports.com/Coach/Dell-McGee-2070/Recruits/
and OL coach Sam Pittman https://247sports.com/Coach/Sam-Pittman-477/AllTimeRecruits/

That UGA staff is stocked with great recruiters.
Can’t imagine Pittman would follow, unless given massive raise or promotion right? Or do you think Pittman is even looking for that kind of career advancement?

This narrative needs to die. Recruiting is a mindset and natural ability to be personable and sell a recruit. Recruiting to Georgia is “easy” in that you are fishing in a deeer pond, but you’re also directly competing against Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Ohio State, Clemson, ND, FSU, Miami, Auburn, etc for every single recruit.

I do not think people understand the level Georgia is recruiting at under Smart.

Back