What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

I just don’t see rising star with this guy, more like a guy who’s just been around football and the right people long enough that he’s just moving onto the next progression in his career. I have a feeling he would’ve gone anywhere that would take him, and that just happened to be us this cycle.

Hope I’m wrong. Gonna have to see more to get excited about this guy.

We need more talent than anything else - much of the roster is low level P5 talent or just plain garbage. Tucker is a sensational recruiter who has coordinated one of the best defenses in the country for the last three years, and you don't like him?

You've trashed Les Miles and now Mel Tucker. I have never seen you weigh in on your preferences - go on record and tell us who did you wanted to hire as head coach????

Ummmm Tennessee has proven over time that the higher ups are the dumbest box of rocks on the planet. jus sayin

Yeah, I wouldn’t trust tennessee’s Decision making. This is a school smack dab in the middle of recruiting heaven that can’t win. They hired food cart and he made them life champions for Christ sake.

Ummmm Tennessee has proven over time that the higher ups are the dumbest box of rocks on the planet. jus sayin
Which is cool, and I don't disagree. But what was the specific reason, a la Schiano and his "connection to Paterno"?

I do not think people understand the level Georgia is recruiting at under Smart.
They're slipping. #1 class in the nation last year on 247, but they're only ranked #3 so far for this year. I don't care if their average star rating is #1 and higher than #1 Alabama and they've only got 18 commits to Bama's 22, it is unacceptable that UGA is 2 spots behind them in the ranks.

Maybe a couple. But really, a couple makes a big difference in a transition class.

Agreed. We lost a few kids but still have some who are committed. We had a pretty good class going and we’ve had a few solid classes the last 2 years. I think Tucker will be able to be successful much sooner than any coach before him. Being able to build on some decent to good classes with some good to very good classes (assuming we now land some high end kids) will pay some huge dividends. We’re not as far off as we were 5-6 years ago, we have actual talent. I’m excited as a fan right now to just see where this leads.

They're slipping. #1 class in the nation last year on 247, but they're only ranked #3 so far for this year. I don't care if their average star rating is #1 and higher than #1 Alabama and they've only got 18 commits to Bama's 22, it is unacceptable that UGA is 2 spots behind them in the ranks.

UGA's fanbase, for SEC standards, doesn't seem quite as crazy as others (hello, Auburn), but that could probably be a copy n paste from some SEC forums, especially in the SECW.

I think there’s a chance for one of UGA’s current offensive coaches to follow him and become OC. Most dawg fans expect multiple staff members (not necessarily all assistant coaches) to follow him. James Coley (Co-OC/QBs), Dan Lanning (OLB) and Dell McGee (AHC/RBs) are a few names some of them have mentioned, although all 3 are not likely.
James Coley is very well respected and has OC experience. Turned down aTm offer for OC to stay at UGA making $850k. He has strong ties to Florida so I’m not sure he moves across the country.

UGA's fanbase, for SEC standards, doesn't seem quite as crazy as others (hello, Auburn), but that could probably be a copy n paste from some SEC forums, especially in the SECW.
Agree here. UGA fans, while completely obsessed with their program, seem to have the most realistic expectations and perceptions of their program.

Theres an awesome article about the process Smart uses to recruit. He used flow charts to describe his process during his interview which landed him the job at uga. Hopefully Tucker understands that process fully and lays out something similar. https://sports.yahoo.com/georgia-ne...ck-sabans-process-game-changer-050129185.html

Can we stop pointing to the two years he spent as Chicago Bears’ DC as reason some people don’t believe Tucker is a splash/good/exciting hire? I know it’s just a few people here and on 247 using that, but that’s ridiculous.
That's fair. I admit to being scarred by that run in Chicago but it was not just Tucker. The Bears also had the worst head coach and worst GM in the past 40 years.

Back