What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

I’m originally from Oklahoma, played high school ball there including a 6A state title and still have a bunch of family and friends there and I keep an eye on the football there as it’s familiar. What the **** stadium in Oklahoma high school holds 50k+??

The first few years they played Jenks/Union at U of Tulsa they went almost to capacity which was 44k at the time. The shine slowly faded and they get about 20K now. Broken Arrow and Owasso draw big too.

If you played HS ball here you understand the football culture. It is a dominant mindset for many ... to a fault.

And BTW , I’m a CO native and still own a house there. This purgatory has a better job.

The first few years they played Jenks/Union at U of Tulsa they went almost to capacity which was 44k at the time. The shine slowly faded and they get about 20k.

If you played HS ball here you understand the football culture. It is a dominant mindset for many ... to a fault.

And BTW , I’m a CO native and still own a house there. This purgatory has a better job.
Sooo...your original post was bull****. Cool.

I’m reserving judgment until I see his staff. All in all I’m happy with it just Bc it isn’t JL. My only concern is that he’s been a solid recruiter at places that everyone who recruits there does well. I could recruit talent to Georgia. Guys like Tosh and Lake have had recruiting success at lesser schools which I value. I still think our program is going the right direction. In RG I trust!

Honest question: Tucker comes to Colorado as successful coordinator in a major SEC program. The Rams have followed the same strategy with their last two hires in Bobo & McElwain. What is it that makes Tucker a home run hire compared to those two guys?
He’s a better recruiter from what I’ve seen. And I can’t speak as to the ‘jump-the-shark’s-bones’ dude, but Georgia fans were happier to be rid of Bobo than Boise fans were to be rid of Hawkins. But they seem like they are unhappy with Tucker leaving (but are classy with the good luck wishes) and are generally understanding that great teams have coaches get better opportunities elsewhere.

Make sure not send your kids to one of the best universities in the world because your shirttail relatives live in a different city in the same state! have fun, we'll miss ya.
Really thought Aviators opinion of Nashville (Tennessee in general) was strange. Also, not sure why he’s done posting here? Did the criticism of his statement really drive him to quit?

He’s a better recruiter from what I’ve seen. And I can’t speak as to the ‘jump-the-shark’s-bones’ dude, but Georgia fans were happier to be rid of Bobo than Boise fans were to be rid of Hawkins. But they seem like they are unhappy with Tucker leaving (but are classy with the good luck wishes) and are generally understanding that great teams have coaches get better opportunities elsewhere.
I'm sure this joke was made about 1000 times across the internet, and I missed it.

However, I'd like to point out that this is one of the reasons I'm sad that "literally" has come to mean...well, it's come to mean absolutely nothing because it's just a filler word, apparently.

What we lost was the ability to say (with impact), "As Coach McElwain won fewer games at Florida, and his popularity waned, it appeared as though he had jumped the shark. Literally."

Thanks, Millennials.

Yeah, this guy’s resume is a real concern. Barely any head coaching experience at all. He’s worked as a coordinator just at the NFL and P5 levels.
The only thing that would be more embarrassing for CU is if they hired a guy with experience as an assistant coach at only one p5 program and was a high school coach 8 years ago.

Can you refer me some youtubes where he doesn’t sound like most coaches? I’m serious, I’ve watched the top 4 results, and he’s not blowing me away.

And regardless, SEC recruiting is different. Their are mechanisms around the programs that don’t translate out West. So, I standby the concern.
I sense that you wish we would have got someone like the San Jose State coach.

I am flummoxed by people here that seem to wish we had an old retread coach, or one that wasn’t as proven, but had worked here in the PAC 12. Guess what? Many, if not most of the good recruiters in the PAC 12 probably were also coaches back east too. It isn’t your zip code, it’s who you are as a people person and a closer. That doesn’t change with location. Will he pull as many five stars? Of course not. But I bet he will put more four stars in the ranks of CU in five years than we have had in the last 20. Because the SEC knows it’s all about the Jimmies and the Joes.

Hope CU fans can stop being downers and enjoy the ride.

is there a pessimism gene going around?

Yeah, it’s the last 3 coaching hires. Which granted had their red flags going in.

I think I’m more at the point that most programs are on the 3-6 year cycle of failing coaches, like CU, and have been that way for a while. And chances are will continue to be.

There’s a few sure things, a dozen or so 2nd tier guys who have job security. The rest of us are bumbling around in the dark pinning our hopes to the next hot coordinator or up and coming mid major HC that will get his payday and be gone in 5 or so years probably.

I was looking for something special this time. We need to find our Chris Petersen. I think that’s achievable, we can be a UW, who thinks they’re USC north, but aren’t, but I digress. That’s probably why I liked Lake so much.

And I don’t see it with Tucker right now, i see the generic SEC coordinator that we see bounce into jobs every season, and then we don’t hear much about till they get fired sometime later. I really hope I’m wrong.

I am flummoxed by people here that seem to wish we had an old retread coach, or one that wasn’t as proven, but had worked here in the PAC 12. Guess what? Many, if not most of the good recruiters in the PAC 12 probably were also coaches back east too. It isn’t your zip code, it’s who you are as a people person and a closer. That doesn’t change with location. Will he pull as many five stars? Of course not. But I bet he will put more four stars in the ranks of CU in five years than we have had in the last 20. Because the SEC knows it’s all about the Jimmies and the Joes.

You pinned a lot of assumptions to my post, if you need a straw man, by all means, have at it, but leave me out of it if you could.

I like that you used the word "flummoxed".

Didn't read the rest - what did it say?

Yeah, it’s the last 3 coaching hires. Which granted had their red flags going in.

I think I’m more at the point that most programs are on the 3-6 year cycle of failing coaches, like CU, and have been that way for a while. And chances are will continue to be.

There’s a few sure things, a dozen or so 2nd tier guys who have job security. The rest of us are bumbling around in the dark pinning our hopes to the next hot coordinator or up and coming mid major HC that will get his payday and be gone in 5 or so years probably.

I was looking for something special this time. We need to find our Chris Petersen. I think that’s achievable, we can be a UW, who thinks they’re USC north, but aren’t, but I digress. That’s probably why I liked Lake so much.

And I don’t see it with Tucker right now, i see the generic SEC coordinator that we see bounce into jobs every season, and then we don’t hear much about till they get fired sometime later. I really hope I’m wrong.
So what about Peterson’s resume before he became HC at Boise screamed sure thing over Tucker? Asking for a friend.

Trying to understand why Tucker is just some “generic SEC coordinator” but Lake is the next Chris Peterson. I liked Lake too and would have been happy with him, but if you put Lake’s resume next to Tucker’s and remove the school names they are similar but hard not to argue Tucker’s is stronger.

Back