What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

So what about Peterson’s resume before he became HC at Boise screamed sure thing over Tucker? Asking for a friend.

Watching him call multiple smart ballsy plays to beat Oklahoma in the fiesta bowl, for one thing.

Watching him call multiple smart ballsy plays to beat Oklahoma in the fiesta bowl, for one thing.
Tucker hasn’t been given that opportunity yet.

So I’ll ask again. Prior to Peterson being given a Head Coaching job, what about Peterson’s resume screamed that he was a home run hire compared to Tucker?

I think your argument would be better served with simply saying, “I wanted an offensive guy” because that’s what it seems to be. Outside of currently being in the Pac 12, I don’t see what Lake’s draw is over Tucker.
I wanted an offensive guy.

Tucker's choice of OC will mean a lot to me. His choice of other assistants will mean a lot to me.

But I'm so impressed with Tucker that I'm on board this train regardless.

Tucker hasn’t been given that opportunity yet.

So I’ll ask again. Prior to Peterson being given a Head Coaching job, what about Peterson’s resume screamed that he was a home run hire compared to Tucker?

He made Hawkins look good enough that we had to hire him maybe.

Would be pretty sweet if Georgia hired Jimmy Lake to replace Tucker. Doubt he’s even considered, but would be funny.
Why not? Alabama, Florida State and Texas A&M all made runs at him, right? But my impression is that Lake will stay with Petersen until he gets a HC offer he likes.

I think your argument would be better served with simply saying, “I wanted an offensive guy” because that’s what it seems to be. Outside of currently being in the Pac 12, I don’t see what Lake’s draw is over Tucker.

SEC > PAC 12

Saban, Smart > Peterson

Recruiting in SEC environment > Recruiting to Washington in PAC -12

Tough Meat and Potatoes. Serious > Well groomed $70 hairstyle. PrettyBoy

Coaching in National Championship environment > Barely hanging on to win the weakest of power 5 conferences

Tucker > Lake

I'm looking forward to a coach who knows how to effectively utilize the media/social media.

MM was pretty terrible in this aspect
Yes. Communicating effectively to fans where we engage is vital. Especially when it comes to building things with younger fans. Being good with print media, nightly news sports segments and sports talk radio is still part of it -- but CU needs to understand that those outlets are now of secondary importance with digital being primary.

I'm looking forward to a coach who knows how to effectively utilize the media/social media.

MM was pretty terrible in this aspect
where is he active? after reading this, I figured it was a good idea to follow R(eported)HCMT on twitter, but there's just a bunch of re-tweets. no posts of his own.

edit: insta even more sparse

Yes. Communicating effectively to fans where we engage is vital. Especially when it comes to building things with younger fans. Being good with print media, nightly news sports segments and sports talk radio is still part of it -- but CU needs to understand that those outlets are now of secondary importance with digital being primary.
Do we know if Tucker is a social media/media savvy individual?

I love this hire. SEC DC. Thats a home run to me. SEC takes football a little serious. If he brings the SEC passion, and intensity how could you not like this hire? A coach the has NFL experience and blue blood coaching experience, great recruiter. Anxious to see his OC choice. I had 100% faith in RG, all he did was go into the best conference in college football and pull a DC from one of the best teams in the nation. I'm more than good with this choice!

I love this hire. SEC DC. Thats a home run to me. SEC takes football a little serious. If he brings the SEC passion, and intensity how could you not like this hire? A coach the has NFL experience and blue blood coaching experience, great recruiter. Anxious to see his OC choice. I had 100% faith in RG, all he did was go into the best conference in college football and pull a DC from one of the best teams in the nation. I'm more than good with this choice!

Also should have a pretty full Rolodex for assistants or referrals to such.

Trying to understand why Tucker is just some “generic SEC coordinator” but Lake is the next Chris Peterson. I liked Lake too and would have been happy with him, but if you put Lake’s resume next to Tucker’s and remove the school names they are similar but hard not to argue Tucker’s is stronger.

I’ll seed that argument on Tucker’s resume, but Lake has an “it” factor, and sure Lake being the next Petersen is probably wishful thinking, but I liked the association. I thought Lake was similar in reputation to Justin Wilcox—a thoughtful, dynamic coordinator on the west coast.

Tucker might be that guy too, I just know the SEC fairly well, and while the good programs have good coaches, sometimes they’re just cogs in a machine. Like I doubt UGA’s defense is going to drop off much next year. They’ll find another guy to make sure their blue chip athletes are in the right place. Maybe Tucker’s more than that.

He’s got more experience than McCartney did when he was hired.
xT9IgHCTfp8CRshfQk

I’ll seed that argument on Tucker’s resume, but Lake has an “it” factor, and sure Lake being the next Petersen is probably wishful thinking, but I liked the association. I thought Lake was similar in reputation to Justin Wilcox—a thoughtful, dynamic coordinator on the west coast.

Tucker might be that guy too, I just know the SEC fairly well, and while the good programs have good coaches, sometimes they’re just cogs in a machine. Like I doubt UGA’s defense is going to drop off much next year. They’ll find another guy to make sure their blue chip athletes are in the right place. Maybe Tucker’s more than that.
Lake may have the “it” factor, but that’s also kind of a throw away statement because “it” is hard to define and therefore impossible to support or argue against, so I don’t know where to go with that unless you’re pretty convinced Tucker doesn’t have “it”?

Wilcox had been a DC (not a co-DC) for 11 years at 5 different programs before he became a HC so I don’t really see that parallel to Lake.

Then plati isn’t cutting it

Back