What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

Continuity to me means maintaining defensive and offensive schemes as much as possible. Sumlin did this at UofA last year and it still took half the season.

Continuity to me means maintaining defensive and offensive schemes as much as possible. Sumlin did this at UofA last year and it still took half the season.
What says continuity? Retaining 4 total assistant coaches? Tucker will bring his defensive scheme (along with a new DC, S, CB and OLB Coach) and Johnson is taking over the Offense with a new OL, and TE Coach. How does any of that even remotely say continuity?

HCMT is going to regret saying
" No Excuses" if AllBuffs has anything to do with it. We will hold him to it on every move made.

you... want to be like Sumlin at UofA last year!?
I don't want to be like Sumlin. But his UofA is a good example of how long it takes to get back on track with new staff even when you keep schemes intact. It took UofA about five games of suck before they were where they were last year.

I don't want to be like Sumlin. But his UofA is a good example of how long it takes to get back on track with new staff even when you keep schemes intact. It took UofA about five games of suck before they were where they were last year.
UofA didn't keep the schemes on track. No one thinks that.

I believe that had a lot to do with buy in from his QB, who seemed more concerned with his NFL development as a QB than he was with playing winning football.

I believe that had a lot to do with buy in from his QB, who seemed more concerned with his NFL development as a QB than he was with playing winning football.
also the high ankle sprain. Offense was fine once he recovered, even though it was very different from the RichRod's.

Sumlin committed to running same offense and defense when he came on board so they wouldn't miss a beat. I think some of time UofA needed to adjust had to do with the fact that Tate was limited due to ankle injury, but the whole team was off kilter during the first part of the year. I just think it takes time whenever you bring a new staff. Can't expect a whole new staff to come in and get used to each other and then get to know all the players and where they all fit during Spring ball and player led practices.

So it seems to take ~1/2 season for new staff same scheme. God forbid someone comes in and changes the offensive or defensive schemes. Then you are talking about retreading current players and recruiting to fill who you actually need. That's a multi year rebuild.

Sumlin committed to running same offense and defense when he came on board so they wouldn't miss a beat. I think some of time UofA needed to adjust had to do with the fact that Tate was limited due to ankle injury, but the whole team was off kilter during the first part of the year. I just think it takes time whenever you bring a new staff. Can't expect a whole new staff to come in and get used to each other and then get to know all the players and where they all fit during Spring ball and player led practices.

So it seems to take ~1/2 season for new staff same scheme. God forbid someone comes in and changes the offensive or defensive schemes. Then you are talking about retreading current players and recruiting to fill who you actually need. That's a multi year rebuild.
Except that Tate didn't commit to running the same offense and wanted to throw from the pocket. It was not a seamless change as you are trying to make it out to be.

:ROFLMAO:

ELITE COACH Jim Leavitt would not have changed anything!

For those of us who think CU is very close to being a great team starting like next year, Leavitt was probably best option. He knew the AD, knew which coordinators to keep, knew most of the kids. He would have brought energy and toughness but wouldn't have changed much else - so your right. Seems like the only candidate that could of had us going first game. Maybe he wouldn't have been the best long term coach, but hey, get us to a top ten team for a few years and then we have lots of options.

For those who think there are problems down to the chassis of the program, and some degree of rebuild is needed, then I can understand many of the other outstanding candidates we considered.

For those of us who think CU is very close to being a great team starting like next year, Leavitt was probably best option. He knew the AD, knew which coordinators to keep, knew most of the kids. He would have brought energy and toughness but wouldn't have changed much else - so your right. Seems like the only candidate that could of had us going first game. Maybe he wouldn't have been the best long term coach, but hey, get us to a top ten team for a few years and then we have lots of options.

For those who think there are problems down to the chassis of the program, and some degree of rebuild is needed, then I can understand many of the other outstanding candidates we considered.
It's cool that you love Leavitt. He had a nice season as DC here. I'll always appreciate 2016.

I'm not sure that anyone else in football thinks as highly of him as you, but that's ok.

For a team that finished last in it's division 5 of the last 6 years it is highly important to maintain continuity?

Let's stick with what didn't work.

Like it or not we need a rebuild. We don't have a functional OL, TE is a joke, our RB situation was saved by having Phil then McMillan for a year, our QB is now gun shy after getting used as a tackling dummy/punching bag for half the season. Yeah, let's stick to what we have. On defense we couldn't get key stops when we needed them, we have questionable depth (being nice) on the DL and our DBs were toasted more often than bagels in a hotel breakfast bar. Oh, and we had trouble even catching a punt much less handling our special teams duties.

Can it get worse than being sixth out of six teams in the division, how does that math work.

We do have some talent. Tucker is inheriting a team that has much more talent than the one McIntyre took over. Can't have anyone or anything sacred though. If we wanted a continuation of what we had why fire the coach. Coach Tucker is coming in to make needed changes.

I don't think any starting job should be written in ink, I don't think any offensive or defensive concept should be a given, I don't think that Coach Tucker should be expected to do anything but coach and run his team.

Leavitt's ship, the SS Ifs ands & buts, has sailed.

All aboard the Tucker Hype Express.
Choo, choo, MF

Come one, come all, and enjoy the euphoria and optimism to celebrate our freshly minted coach. The sky is the limit and the world is CU’s oyster (until it isn’t).

Fight CU!

Leavitt's ship, the SS Ifs ands & buts, has sailed.

All aboard the Tucker Hype Express.
Choo, choo, MF

Come one, come all, and enjoy the euphoria and optimism to celebrate our freshly minted coach. The sky is the limit and the world is CU’s oyster (until it isn’t).

Fight CU!
Wait Leavitt get a ship and HCMT only gets a train?

Wait Leavitt get a ship and HCMT only gets a train?

:ROFLMAO:

Boat
real-ss-minnow-2.jpg

Train
china-bullet-train.jpg

For a team that finished last in it's division 5 of the last 6 years it is highly important to maintain continuity?

Let's stick with what didn't work.

Like it or not we need a rebuild. We don't have a functional OL, TE is a joke, our RB situation was saved by having Phil then McMillan for a year, our QB is now gun shy after getting used as a tackling dummy/punching bag for half the season. Yeah, let's stick to what we have. On defense we couldn't get key stops when we needed them, we have questionable depth (being nice) on the DL and our DBs were toasted more often than bagels in a hotel breakfast bar. Oh, and we had trouble even catching a punt much less handling our special teams duties.

Can it get worse than being sixth out of six teams in the division, how does that math work.

We do have some talent. Tucker is inheriting a team that has much more talent than the one McIntyre took over. Can't have anyone or anything sacred though. If we wanted a continuation of what we had why fire the coach. Coach Tucker is coming in to make needed changes.

I don't think any starting job should be written in ink, I don't think any offensive or defensive concept should be a given, I don't think that Coach Tucker should be expected to do anything but coach and run his team.

Still no excuse to not get to .500 and a bowl next season.

Still no excuse to not get to .500 and a bowl next season.
Agree, have to beat CSU, and AFA. Should beat Nebraska. Then have to win 3 conference games.

We have a bunch of returning OL including guys who played as freshmen who should be bigger and stronger and others coming back from injury.

We will have a senior QB and quality WRs. Also have a decent number of returning defensive players.

No excuse to not at least get a bowl game.

Back