What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs CSU.....never too early

I generally agree, but having some 5-wide sets in the toolbox can't hurt- especially considering what we have at the wide receiver position.

Also, I'm not sure that 3 wide with split backs is a worse base formation than 3 wide, single back + a TE. Can be so multiple out of that, including power running.

We are running an 80-90% Air Raid Attack, so why are you saying I want nothing to do with a Texas Tech Offense??? The run concepts are Air Raid with audibles, the Crossing and Slant Routes are Air Raid, and then the Vertical Mesh Routes are Air Raid!!!
The problem is that Sefo was not smart enough to run it right. Our O-Line is not setting up with the wider splits quite yet, even though we have one of the absolute best blitz pickup backs in Phillip, and we ran too many crossing routes without showing creativity on the vertical routes to get those DB's to back off deeper. Did you notice how USC could jump the slant routes because we did not have enough distribution to all the potential open routes. With Montez arm strength and confidence, he can loosen up the defense a lot.

I remember when Texas Tech was running at full speed and could kick the crap out of teams just be dropping 28 quick points on someone. The best thing for our defense is to be way ahead on the scoreboard. If Montez can truly distribute the ball to the 5 weapons he will have at his disposal, then this could be really fun to watch. Welcome to the BUFF RAID OFFENSE.

I know next to nothing about X & Os in these days of spread offenses, etc., but if CU comes out with the same attitude they did last season they'll win by multiple touchdowns. They had a "take no prisoners" attitude and just rolled. Now, I know it won't be as easy this season for a variety of reasons, one of which is that CSU is going to be pissed about last year. Regardless, CU has better athletes and at some point I expect they'll open up a gap and hold onto the lead.

Please describe what our true offense is then? Enlighten me.
I think a lot more is borrowed from Cutcliffe than anyone. And I don't know how do describe that other than it being multiple and adaptable based on personnel. It's worked with Tee Martin and with Eli Manning. Lindgren has featured all sorts of wrinkles, styles of QB play, and playmaker positions based on personnel between the SJSU and CU years. One thing that excites me is that Montez looks like a guy who can run pretty much the entire playbook (read option, moving pockets, arm to make every throw, etc.). Gonna be fun. But back on topic - I really have no idea what to call that offense.

I think a lot more is borrowed from Cutcliffe than anyone. And I don't know how do describe that other than it being multiple and adaptable based on personnel. It's worked with Tee Martin and with Eli Manning. Lindgren has featured all sorts of wrinkles, styles of QB play, and playmaker positions based on personnel between the SJSU and CU years. One thing that excites me is that Montez looks like a guy who can run pretty much the entire playbook (read option, moving pockets, arm to make every throw, etc.). Gonna be fun. But back on topic - I really have no idea what to call that offense.
how about prolific?

We are not 80-90% air raid.

I am absolutely mystified why people want to overhaul the offense from last year.

We are not talking about the 2000s Air Raid offense...we are talking the mid 2010s Air Raid offense. Even Baker Mayfield was doing those QB runs while he was at Texas Tech back in 2013. You very well could call it Air Raid 2.0 and that is what CU ran last season. Even WSU & Texas Tech lined up in the pistol and the QB lines up under center once in awhile.

Last year's conference only stats. CU only had two more rushing TDs and 0.3 more yards per carry.

upload_2017-8-3_23-0-16.png

I agree there were other concepts in play, but those were added due to the QB. I believe that Chiaverini wants to run 80% Air Raid if he has his choice (because he is a biased WR!!!). It takes all these WR and solid Linemen, and of course the QB decision making. I think we have that now, so I see a little more passing this year.

Below is the actual quote from him last year heading into the season.

"Really, our offense is more of a hybrid," Chiaverini said. "It's not a spread, it's not a pro style. It's a hybrid of the two offenses that have meshed together very, very well. We took what they did well here the last couple of years and what we did well at (Texas) Tech and meshed it together. Then we infused some quarterback runs into it and it's really advanced the offense."
A good running game in a spread system forces defenses to make a choice. They can move an extra defender in the box to slow down the running game, but only at the risk of taking someone out of pass coverage. Throw a quarterback capable of running into the mix and it makes it even more difficult on defenses, particularly a quarterback as big and strong as Liufau.

Sefo forced them to add RPO and too many QB runs in order to avoid potential mistakes by the QB to throw INT's. Spread is today's version of the Air Raid with RPO, but most teams do not have 5-6 or more top quality WR's to actually run the proper version of the more pass heavy options, and do not have high quality O-Linemen that can pass block all day.

I think kids would love to play this kind of offense because it can create NFL WR's, Linemen, and potentially QB's (although not being under center is concerning)

We are not talking about the 2000s Air Raid offense...we are talking the mid 2010s Air Raid offense. Even Baker Mayfield was doing those QB runs while he was at Texas Tech back in 2013. You very well could call it Air Raid 2.0 and that is what CU ran last season. Even WSU & Texas Tech lined up in the pistol and the QB lines up under center once in awhile.

Last year's conference only stats. CU only had two more rushing TDs and 0.3 more yards per carry.

View attachment 23167

Not just about QB runs. How other offensive personnel is used as well. Cherry pick stats as you wish, but those stats tell me CU is substantially better at rushing the football.

Attempts matter. A lot. 259 attempts in nine games is not good, only UCLA was worse and they had no desire to run most games.

I agree there were other concepts in play, but those were added due to the QB. I believe that Chiaverini wants to run 80% Air Raid if he has his choice (because he is a biased WR!!!). It takes all these WR and solid Linemen, and of course the QB decision making. I think we have that now, so I see a little more passing this year.

Below is the actual quote from him last year heading into the season.

"Really, our offense is more of a hybrid," Chiaverini said. "It's not a spread, it's not a pro style. It's a hybrid of the two offenses that have meshed together very, very well. We took what they did well here the last couple of years and what we did well at (Texas) Tech and meshed it together. Then we infused some quarterback runs into it and it's really advanced the offense."
A good running game in a spread system forces defenses to make a choice. They can move an extra defender in the box to slow down the running game, but only at the risk of taking someone out of pass coverage. Throw a quarterback capable of running into the mix and it makes it even more difficult on defenses, particularly a quarterback as big and strong as Liufau.

Sefo forced them to add RPO and too many QB runs in order to avoid potential mistakes by the QB to throw INT's. Spread is today's version of the Air Raid with RPO, but most teams do not have 5-6 or more top quality WR's to actually run the proper version of the more pass heavy options, and do not have high quality O-Linemen that can pass block all day.

I think kids would love to play this kind of offense because it can create NFL WR's, Linemen, and potentially QB's (although not being under center is concerning)

There are many types of spread offenses. Zone read is not an evolution of the air raid.

I expect to see a lot of power running out of the spread this year. We did that last year and it made our play action ****ing bad ass. We will do it, but with less QB power this year and more zone read off of it Lindsay running off tackle with pulling guards. I hope.

I expect to see a lot of power running out of the spread this year. We did that last year and it made our play action ****ing bad ass. We will do it, but with less QB power this year and more zone read off of it Lindsay running off tackle with pulling guards. I hope.
You know what would make that play action even better? A god damn tight end.

TEXAS TECH 2.0........listen to Mack Brown at the 1st play of the CSU game last year..." I saw a lot o play at Texas Tech"

Most offenses now days are a blend of a ton of different concepts from a number of different offensive schemes. Gone are the days where a team is strictly Wishbone, Wing-T, Spread, Air Raid, Pro Style, etc, outside of a few programs. So, no, CU is not 90% Air Raid, but there are Air Raid concepts, mainly in the route designs and combinations. Other aspects of Mike Leach's or TTU's original Air Raid are not present, such as the massive OL splits and throwing it 60+ times a game.

CU runs Power out of shotgun and under center, zone read/read option, quick passing game that gets athletes in space and then play action that opens up the intermediate and deep passing game. If I had to pick one thing that defines CU's offense more than anything else, however, it would be the RPO. Just a guess and it may even be a conservative one, but I would say over 50% of all their offensive plays have some variation of a Run/Pass Option.

Incorporating elements of the air raid does not make this an air raid offense. Just because Mack Brown saw that same play from Tech does not mean we are running Tech's offense.

Incorporating elements of the air raid does not make this an air raid offense. Just because Mack Brown saw that same play from Tech does not mean we are running Tech's offense.

I agree....I'm just saying there are Texas Tech attributes to our Offense......Chiv was at Texas Tech, so obviously.....some of that is apparent in our Offense....in the end,
The tides have turned. The ship has been righted. The talent disparity is getting greater. They can't possibly recruit good enough DB's to compete with the WRs we have now or in the future. Oh and the WR's coming in are better then anything they have now.

Most offenses now days are a blend of a ton of different concepts from a number of different offensive schemes. Gone are the days where a team is strictly Wishbone, Wing-T, Spread, Air Raid, Pro Style, etc, outside of a few programs. So, no, CU is not 90% Air Raid, but there are Air Raid concepts, mainly in the route designs and combinations. Other aspects of Mike Leach's or TTU's original Air Raid are not present, such as the massive OL splits and throwing it 60+ times a game.

CU runs Power out of shotgun and under center, zone read/read option, quick passing game that gets athletes in space and then play action that opens up the intermediate and deep passing game. If I had to pick one thing that defines CU's offense more than anything else, however, it would be the RPO. Just a guess and it may even be a conservative one, but I would say over 50% of all their offensive plays have some variation of a Run/Pass Option.
Yeah, I think more than anything you could call this a RPO offense, if you had to put a name on it. Just flat out saying CU runs an air raid 80-90% of time is a little off base, IMO. So many variables to this offense to really pinpoint. You have to give Lindgren and Chev some credit for being very creative in this approach. It could really pay off this year if they can find Montez strengths and play off of that.

It will be awesome when all the other teams say the are emulating the Colorado offense. Clinics being held in Boulder and such.

Air Raid Bitches!

dazed-and-confused-deena-martin.jpg

Back