What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini - CU Interim Head Coach

This is likely my last post about Chev. I’ll say this: for Chev’s sake and ours, I hope that RG & LC do not hire him to become our next head football coach.

After Hawkins, our program was broken. Many of us (myself included) naively thought that Embo and EB were going to come in and save Colorado football.

They failed because they were set up for failure since they were hired in positions for which they were woefully ill prepared. They both still love CU but there were deeply hurt feelings. Their careers suffered because their tenure at CU was so disastrous.

Colorado suffered too because we became losers. We expected to lose. No one won. Embo and EB have had to work in the NFL to revive their careers. EB has done a better job of Embo in that regard.

When I look at Chev, I respect the hell out of the fact that he’s established so many good connects with really good players. I respect that he too is passionate about the University of Colorado.This is a precarious time for both Colorado football and Chev’s career.

We need wins. We need someone who’s experienced at winning. We need someone who has the connects to put together a staff of coaches who can recruit AND help the team make progress in spring ball.

In my work, when we conduct training, we role play frequent scenarios and presentations quite a bit. We are dealing with millionaires who need consulting for their individual multi million dollar businesses. We don’t practice on dealers.

When I say that I don’t want Chev to practice on Colorado, I mean that I don’t want for him to learn how to learn on the job in a rough scenario. We cannot risk being a guinea pig. As a really good recruiter, Chev’s overall career prospects would likely survive an epic fail as our HC. It’ll be a long way back, though.

It’ll be an even longer way back for Colorado football. That’s not a risk the program can afford to take.

Last edited:
This is likely my last post about Chev. I’ll say this: for Chev’s sake and ours, I hope that RG & LC do not hire him to become our next head football coach.

After Hawkins, our program was broken. Many of us (myself included) naively thought that Embo and EB were going to come in and save Colorado football.

They failed because they were set up for failure since they were hired in positions for which they were woefully ill prepared. They both still love CU but there were deeply hurt feelings. Their careers suffered because their tenure at CU was so disastrous.

Colorado suffered too because we became losers. We expected to lose. No one won. Embo and EB have had to work in the NFL to revive their careers. EB has done a better job of Embo in that regard.

When I look at Chev, I respect the hell out of the fact that he’s established so many good connects with really good players. I respect that he too is passionate about the University of Colorado.This is a precarious time for both Colorado football and Chev’s career.

We need wins. We need someone who’s experienced at winning. We need someone who has the connects to put together a staff of coaches who can recruit AND help the team make progress in spring ball.

In my work, when we conduct training, we role play frequent scenarios and presentations quite a bit. We are dealing with millionaires who need consulting for their individual multi million dollar businesses. We don’t practice on dealers.

When I say that I don’t want Chev to practice on Colorado, I mean that I don’t want for him to learn how to learn on the job in a rough scenario. We cannot risk being a guinea pig. As a really good recruiter, Chev’s overall career prospects would likely survive an epic fail as our HC. It’ll be a long way back, though.

It’ll be an even longer way back for Colorado football. That’s not a risk the program can afford to take.
While I agree that Chev is no where near the ideal choice for HC, he is probably the ideal choice at this moment and in this situation. I would completely dismiss him if the current candidate list wasn't primarily filled with a cluster of sad sacks and retreads. Almost everyone on this board screams at the top of their lungs about how modern college football is about recruiting much more than it is coaching. Chev can recruit and more importantly, he can likely keep the 2020 class intact and 2021 pledges on board. You bring a Bielema or McElwain in here and just watch the floodgates open. So then we're down 2 classes with no assurances that we even have the right guy. The most crucial improvement *ucker made in his short time here was getting studs excited about coming to Boulder again. That's the momentum we have to keep. Rick George's 1st check box with any candidate should absolutely be "Do players want to come here and play for him?" Chev at least checks that box.

While I agree that Chev is no where near the ideal choice for HC, he is probably the ideal choice at this moment and in this situation. I would completely dismiss him if the current candidate list wasn't primarily filled with a cluster of sad sacks and retreads. Almost everyone on this board screams at the top of their lungs about how modern college football is about recruiting much more than it is coaching. Chev can recruit and more importantly, he can likely keep the 2020 class intact and 2021 pledges on board. You bring a Bielema or McElwain in here and just watch the floodgates open. So then we're down 2 classes with no assurances that we even have the right guy. The most crucial improvement *ucker made in his short time here was getting studs excited about coming to Boulder again. That's the momentum we have to keep. Rick George's 1st check box with any candidate should absolutely be "Do players want to come here and play for him?" Chev at least checks that box.
I don't think Chev checks that box. Recruits, first and foremost, want to win. CU has not been a winner. I really worry about hiring a HC that wouldn't give them any confidence that this was going to change. At least the re-tread HCs and big name coordinators would give us a chance on that narrative.

Hiring Chiaverini would be the classic "let's go with the exact opposite of what we just failed with" move. We just got dumped by an outsider who dumped us like a cheap whore, that, however, doesn't have to mean that we in turn have to hook up with the girl we've known since High School and that we have always suspected has a crush on us, but never quite wanted to make the move ourselves because we like her and all but never quite felt she was the right fit for us. Like you say, it's what we did after Hawkins. Hawkins shat on the program and its tradition any time he could and made it sound like we should be happy to have a football program in a P5 conference and that he was the reason we were there, so we went with Embree and EB as guys from the glory days where the feel good factor was right but totally ignored their complete lack of qualifications. And all sides involved paid dearly for that.

I don't think Chev checks that box. Recruits, first and foremost, want to win. CU has not been a winner. I really worry about hiring a HC that wouldn't give them any confidence that this was going to change. At least the re-tread HCs and big name coordinators would give us a chance on that narrative.
Let's be honest, can we? Just short of a miracle hire we aren't going to win more than 5 games next year either way. We've taken a shot to the gut that's going to linger for awhile. Lose the 2020 class and the 2021 momentum and that's an added shot to the junk that will linger much longer. Whoever we hire better have some "spark" among 17-20 year olds or you might as well bury this program for good. Spark? Chev, okay. Sark, probably. Wilcox, probably. EB, definitely. The rest = you'll get a big fat "Who?", whether they won 10 games once upon a time or not.

Let's be honest, can we? Just short of a miracle hire we aren't going to win more than 5 games next year either way. We've taken a shot to the gut that's going to linger for awhile. Lose the 2020 class and the 2021 momentum and that's an added shot to the junk that will linger much longer. Whoever we hire better have some "spark" among 17-20 year olds or you might as well bury this program for good. Spark? Chev, okay. Sark, probably. Wilcox, probably. EB, definitely. The rest = you'll get a big fat "Who?", whether they won 10 games once upon a time or not.
Do you really think that Chev is on the same level as Wilcox & Sark with having a positive impact on recruits?

McElwain is weirdly intriguing, but Mora can GTFO. Baggage, whiny bitch, retread. Didn't he urge his players to trash our locker room? No thanks.
So the locker room trashing seems to be a rumor but did it actually happen? I find it hard to believe any coach would encourage his team to trash any locker room. I’ve also heard a different take on the story where it was an altercation between some of the players and the locker room was collateral damage, which doesn’t make it much better but still curious about the validity of that story?

So the locker room trashing seems to be a rumor but did it actually happen? I find it hard to believe any coach would encourage his team to trash any locker room. I’ve also heard a different take on the story where it was an altercation between some of the players and the locker room was collateral damage, which doesn’t make it much better but still curious about the validity of that story?
The story I heard was that the Bruins were very unhappy about some things that happened during the game, there may or may not have been altercations stemming from that or other reasons, but Mora was salty as well and did nothing to stop the action.

The story I heard was that the Bruins were very unhappy about some things that happened during the game, there may or may not have been altercations stemming from that or other reasons, but Mora was salty as well and did nothing to stop the action.
RG was the AD when it allegedly happened, I’ll trust him to know better than us if true and to decide if it’s a deal breaker or not.

"Salty coach doesn't prevent locker room damage"

Not exactly a headline that should keep a team from hiring a guy.

Mora is an monumental asshole for not stopping it. Regardless of the exact reason that trashing happened, the school doesn't make the football team clean it up. That is left to some person that should not be forced to wipe an entitled player's ass because their feelings got hurt.

Mora should have made it clear that the only person it affected is some hourly person that doesn't need their worthless asses making their job more difficult than required. A lesson their parents should have taught them, but apparently didn't.

I don't know what is rumor or not about the locker room, but I do know his UCLA teams were some of the dirtiest teams we played the last few years.

I don't know what is rumor or not about the locker room, but I do know his UCLA teams were some of the dirtiest teams we played the last few years.
Perhaps. But this locker room story is being referred to as if it were fact and I’m just curious where it was confirmed beyond message board rumor. RG isn’t dumb, if he gets to the point of seriously considering Mora then I’m going to assume he’s comfortable with what did or didn’t happen that night.

Chev is the only one that can keep this class and the mo for 2021 and 2022 classes. After a week of this garbage, almost all the options seem mediocre at best. Sark and Wilcox are exceptions. Chev will not stay if he doesn’t keep the job. Team Full Gorilla is a good twitter follow f

Chev is the only one that can keep this class and the mo for 2021 and 2022 classes. After a week of this garbage, almost all the options seem mediocre at best. Sark and Wilcox are exceptions. Chev will not stay if he doesn’t keep the job. Team Full Gorilla is a good twitter follow f
I could keep the current class. They've been signed for a while. This isn't a late November coaching change.

I disagree about momentum because I think that with Tucker gone there's nothing to keep going. It's about creating new momentum if you want to see momentum.

Regarding the potential that Chev would leave if he doesn't get the HC job -- if anyone believes he'd do that for something other than a promotion (HC job or an OC job he didn't get here), then doesn't that call his best trait of loyalty into question? I mean, Cabral stayed after getting passed over. Hagan stayed even after being demoted from a coaching role. Are there different rules for Chev? Not like we were even able to get him to come here without giving a massive pay raise and title upgrade.

If he has resigned and it sticks, that is very bad news for the program.

However, I keep coming back to the fact that you don't let your best salesman issue an ultimatum that you have to make him president. Especially when he has already failed when you tried him in a management position. You may lose him by calling the ultimatum, but giving in to it would be worse.

What are the pros and cons of an alumni being the head coach? I know we had one bad run with Embree but there are many other stories where the alum leads his alma mater on the gridiron.

What are the pros and cons of an alumni being the head coach? I know we had one bad run with Embree but there are many other stories where the alum leads his alma mater on the gridiron.
What are those successful examples?

The one that comes to mind for me is Gundy at OSU.

Other examples that have worked have been cases where the guy proved himself as a HC elsewhere and was then brought home (Spurrier).

I can think of a lot of examples besides Embree where it was an absolute disaster, too. My mind tends to go to the Big 12 since we had so many years there, but haven't we seen that happen with Singletary at Baylor, Kingsbury at TTU and Blake at Oklahoma from the negative side? It's hard to go home again.

What are those successful examples?

The one that comes to mind for me is Gundy at OSU.

Other examples that have worked have been cases where the guy proved himself as a HC elsewhere and was then brought home (Spurrier).

I can think of a lot of examples besides Embree where it was an absolute disaster, too. My mind tends to go to the Big 12 since we had so many years there, but haven't we seen that happen with Singletary at Baylor, Kingsbury at TTU and Blake at Oklahoma from the negative side? It's hard to go home again.
To me, it has more to do with the fact that the vast majority of football coaches "fail" no matter where they go and the same holds true for guys who return to their alma mater.

Back