What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

Wouldn’t this require CU to act with urgency and fire then hire the new OC before all the other programs looking for HCs fill out their staffs?

I think just firing him and in the process of hiring would suffice

Recruits aren't dumb, they can google and see record setting bad and if Chev doesn't get let go until mid January they're going to wonder wtf is happening

Nobody needs to be on board with a termination. CU must honor the contract, but it can terminate him any time.

You cannot demote a former OC to recruiting coordinator without creating a toxic work environment. It doesn’t work. Chev made a good bit of money from CU, he made some meaningful contributions during his tenure, but he is not a capable offensive coordinator. Best to just say, thanks for the work, but we need to go in a different direction for the benefit of all.
Chev might decide that being put in charge of building a major SEC-style recruiting department at his alma mater is vastly preferable to being out of coaching altogether or, at best, taking a job as receiver's couch at some community college on the west slope. Like I said, we're paying him anyway and we are not exactly swimming in cash around here. At worst, he is fired later and we find someone else to take over the job. At best, he embraces the role and puts every bit of himself into it. Either way, the program would once again be putting some major emphasis on building a serious recruiting department. Anything that gets the primary responsibility for recruiting out of Dorrell's hands is a plus. Every job that he has had in college football seems to have been lost due to his recruiting ineptitude

Chev might decide that being put in charge of building a major SEC-style recruiting department at his alma mater is vastly preferable to being out of coaching altogether or, at best, taking a job as receiver's couch at some community college on the west slope. Like I said, we're paying him anyway and we are not exactly swimming in cash around here. At worst, he is fired later and we find someone else to take over the job. At best, he embraces the role and puts every bit of himself into it. Either way, the program would once again be putting some major emphasis on building a serious recruiting department. Anything that gets the primary responsibility for recruiting out of Dorrell's hands is a plus. Every job that he has had in college football seems to have been lost due to his recruiting ineptitude
I get it. Sure, that would be a great outcome, and I don’t fault you for suggesting it, so don’t take my skepticism as a personal attack. There’s a lot of reasons why I don’t think that outcome is possible based on his time at CU, but I’m not the one talking directly to him.

If Dorrell waits until January, all of the talent will have entered the portal and transfered.

first time GIF

**** Mel Tucker-but I will say this: He was a strong enough personality to where it wasn't hard to force the demotion Chev took on him in 2019. Dorrell isn't wired that way.

He's gotta go.

Rooney on the situation:

"To his credit, Dorrell indicated as much after Friday’s defeat, telling reporters afterward he will be “starting that process quickly” in terms of evaluating his staff and getting the ball rolling on any changes. First and foremost on that list will be to address his relationship with Chiaverini.

Whether Dorrell has been too rigid in his play-calling expectations from Chiaverini, or whether the latter was too resistant to making adjustments, is a moot point now. The Buffs went through an entire season with a dysfunctional working relationship between two of the program’s leading figures. That’s how you produce a unit that failed to gain even 200 yards in four different games.

Buffs fans better hope Dorrell has better at-bats in his upcoming personnel maneuvers than he has displayed so far. The Rodrigue firing should have occurred two weeks earlier, during CU’s bye, instead of during the aftermath of an Oct. 23 loss at Cal. Dorrell explained at the time that certain standards were issued during that bye and, later, when the Buffs fell short at Cal, he made the move when those standards weren’t met. But the idea a few more practices might change the course of an offensive line erosion that hastened even after a full spring and preseason practice schedule doesn’t add up. Given how the Buffs briefly responded to the Rodrigue firing, it’s not merely speculation to wonder if that result at Cal might have been different had the move been made earlier."

No...

If Chev gets retained, and CU produces a bunch of +/- 200 yard games next year, and presumably an atrocious win loss record, the silver lining might be a quick exit and negotiated buyout for Dorrell.

What should keep everyone up at night is an atrocious year three with Chev, and Dorrell gets a 4th year by dumping the OC at the end of next year. That would be a true nightmare.

Seems silly to advocate for KD to straight up lie during in-home visits.
Just for the record, I was neither advocating for lying nor defending Chev. I was just trying to add some contrasting discourse to the discussion about how CU might be thinking about it. I should have realized that all people want in this thread are cute pictures of people waiting for the guy to be shot rather than a discussion.

Just for the record, I was neither advocating for lying nor defending Chev. I was just trying to add some contrasting discourse to the discussion about how CU might be thinking about it. I should have realized that all people want in this thread are cute pictures of people waiting for the guy to be shot rather than a discussion.
First off, thanks for putting that on the record. It feels so much more official now. Second, I don’t believe the only thing people want in this thread are witty gifs. I genuinely think they want news that Chev has been fired.

I genuinely want the entire offensive staff fired today and announcement that a search is underway to fill the vacant positions in the next three weeks.

Chev should be let go ASAP. Maybe he can retool his career as a WR coach for a team in one of the lesser G5s. We thank him for his efforts and move on. If KD hasn’t already reached out to a few OC candidates he’s dropped the ball. Need some energy up there in that program, and right away. The fan base is evaporating.

1638118621107.gif

What’s to discuss? We have a dysfunctional AD and a shyt football team.

The OC had one of the worst units in the country and there’s a legitimate question about him being retained - not due to performance, but rather, because the AD has a hard-on for him.

In my job, I consult with many car dealerships for a major auto manufacturer. One of the stores in my territory is run like the CU AD. They retain and overpay people who are terrible at their job and are satisfied with lackluster results. Even though the average dealership’s profits are up at least 50% YOY, this store is only up 5% because of their horrible leadership and dysfunctional personnel decisions.

Chev should be fired because his existence in the program is toxic and he sucks at his job. But hey, let’s have a convo.

And I don't get that thought process. Waiting until after signing day to fire coaches is chicken ****.

Back