What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's 3 types of hiring processes:
1. Coach has a friend or former contact prearranged. It's baked and the hire happens fast. Clearly was not the case ever in this scenario.
2. High profile hire, you move quick as they aren't on street long. Durkin and Gibbs.
3. You open it up to the long list of types SD mentions above. They are unproven so you got to screen carefully. It's a move up from them so no hasty decisions.

While it sounds like we had to move from 2 to 3, I fail to see how this is the failure described By Sinratz " if you are going to fire a guy you need a plan to replace him".

I just happen to think the plan was 2 and then 3. You don't want him to fire Baer cuz he didn't have a buddy ready to step in or an instant upgrade pre-committed? Not feasible.

If it were middle of summer, it wouldn't be a big deal for the process to take this long, but when you fire your DC in December it's a bigger problem when you don't bring someone else on board until signing day or later, particularly when you know your spring practice schedule begins real early. So like I said, if you're going to fire a guy, you better have a plan to replace him quickly. There was either an insufficient plan, or the plan has gone to s**t - either way it's a bad situation.

That being said, I don't think RG walks on water either. He's still a first time AD. He gets a lot of mileage from being around in the late 80s and having a football background.

Why Orlando? I posed him as an upgrade early in the process, but I've never met the man. Never talked to him. It's nonesensical to throw out names and claim failure because we let Houston have him. We don't know if he interviewed and sucked it. We don't know if he said no thanks up front, my wife wants a warm place. We don't know much.

We don't even know who's been contacted, discussed, etc. Maybe he's like Orlando? Maybe he's better? Maybe he's the next Orlando? Orlando went from Uconn to obscurity... The original list should never have gone public. It set the expectations.

I mean, I even mentioned most of what you said here, but expecting you to actually read my entire post is expecting too much I guess.

Sure hope Utah State isn't really obscurity. That's the same league we got our Head Coach from.

I mentioned Orlando merely to list a name. Whoever our backup plan can be substituted there. You don't see how this can be seen as a failure? Short of us hiring Dan Quinn, I don't see how this can be considered a success.

Who is going to foot the bill to pay for the "Ohio State" or "Alabama" or "Oklahoma" approach? Those are all Universities that place a tremendous value on the athletic department, and most specifically, the football program.

CU has shown the willingness to take baby steps in that regard - but I think you're kidding yourself if you ever expect CU to step up to the same pay-grade as the Ohio State's, Alabama's, etc. of the world. It's still an athletic department that only made $62 million last year - which was good enough for 10th in the PAC-12.

It's an athletic department that is pot-committed with a ~162 investment in new facilities. Any coordinator salary, or frankly head coach salary (staring at you and your 1-17 record with lousy recruiting, MacIntyre), is immaterial in comparison. I mentioned it before anyone else, but I would have thrown absurd money at Harbaugh. Michigan got him for 5 million. That's was a real school does. CU putters around with a coach I've never heard of with an AD who didn't hire him.

I mentioned it before anyone else, but I would have thrown absurd money at Harbaugh. Michigan got him for 5 million. That's was a real school does. CU putters around with a coach I've never heard of with an AD who didn't hire him.

No words.

No words.

Just saying. CU gets what it deserves and it definitely deserves 1-17 and a bizarre DC search that might or might not turn out well but probably won't make a large impact in the trajectory of the program.

And the Harbaugh thought is mostly hyperbole, but illustrates a point

Last edited:
Just saying. CU gets what it deserves and it definitely deserves 1-17 and a bizarre DC search that might or might not turn out well but probably won't make a large impact in the trajectory of the program.

Did you want us to throw 2 mill at Muschamp for DC? That would illustrate a point, and would be just as unrealistic.

I am so confused by this post. Cu is paying Mac and assistants good salaries so what are you talking about?

I am so confused by this post. Cu is paying Mac and assistants good salaries so what are you talking about?

Equaling the lower/middle tier of P5 coaching salaries is not going to get Colorado much of anywhere, imo. Hole too deep. Administration still too clueless.

Did you want us to throw 2 mill at Muschamp for DC? That would illustrate a point, and would be just as unrealistic.

Why is it unrealistic to pay top dollar for coaches at CU? Getting back into the top 25 must be damn near apocalyptic then. Why even spend 162 mil of facilities if you're not going to protect it by offering a couple hundred of thousand dollars more for a DC?

This is the same point that Miami is making.

Last edited:
It's an athletic department that is pot-committed with a ~162 investment in new facilities. Any coordinator salary, or frankly head coach salary (staring at you and your 1-17 record with lousy recruiting, MacIntyre), is immaterial in comparison. I mentioned it before anyone else, but I would have thrown absurd money at Harbaugh. Michigan got him for 5 million. That's was a real school does. CU putters around with a coach I've never heard of with an AD who didn't hire him.

ok

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 169
Why would we settle for Harbaugh? He's never won a national championship or a Super Bowl. CU should hire Pete Carroll. In fact, if CU took its football seriously he would be the only candidate worthy of consideration from the NFL ranks.

Why would we settle for Harbaugh? He's never won a national championship or a Super Bowl. CU should hire Pete Carroll. In fact, if CU took its football seriously he would be the only candidate worthy of consideration from the NFL ranks.

but I thought we are waiting for Seto once the Super Bowl is over? :)

Why is it unrealistic to pay top dollar for coaches at CU? Getting back into the top 25 must be damn near apocalyptic then. Why even spend 162 mil of facilities if you're not going to protect it by offering a couple hundred of thousand dollars more for a DC?

Probably for the same reason some regular posters don't pony up $15 bucks to become members. Every person and institution has different levels of commitment, circumstances, and values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are they offering for a DC? I must've missed it.

My thing is, why not Todd Orlando? He should've been our first call after Gibbs chose TT (actually, should've been a call long before he chose TT so we could get the backup plan going). I can wrap my head around losing a coach or recruit to TT, but surely if Orlando had our offer on the table we would've beat Houston? Mother****ing Houston?

idk, maybe Mac knows Orlando and doesn't care for him or wouldn't mesh, but ****. It's like whenever this program has a chance to do some real **** and change our fortunes, we step on our dicks and just go laterally or even backwards. Surely Baer sucks, but I figured we'd for sure be able to get a legit upgrade here, not a big question mark.

Not singling you out btw SD, I'm actually pretty with you on the hire at this point. Just get it done and get spring going.

Rep this-MacIntyre had no plan B here. There was nothing wrong with throwing a truckload of cash at Durkin and hoping Michigan wouldn't call, or Clancy Pendergast (I suppose that could still happen, but I doubt it based on what footballscoop said), or fantasizing about hiring away some assistant from the Seahawks. As far as Gibbs, I don't think that was ever going to happen-From what I read, he likes Texas, and I think working for a coach in Kingsbury who will pretty much leave you alone as a DC had to be somewhat attractive. Sure, White Rabbit could be right, and MM could not want to hire Todd Orlando for whatever reason, but let's talk about Kevin Clune.

We all said it after the Hawaii game-Clune did a very good job with that defense. Remember that piece on the search that Ringo wrote in which he floated Clune's name? MM had expressed respect for Clune and the job he did at Hawaii. What concerns me most is that he was making 160k at Hawaii-we probably could have offered him less than what we were paying Baer and I bet he would have taken it. Instead, we got beat out for his services by.........Utah State? Really?

The screw-up happened with the initial short list, whatever that was, it wasn't good enough. You need to be pretty damn sure of who you can get with an offer. Sounds like they identified some top candidates but overestimated their ability to land them, like Gibbs and Durkin. Gibbs was kind of a surprise I guess, but Durkin should not have been.

I disagree-there was nothing wrong with swinging for the fence on Durkin......Gibbs was the one that makes me wonder. I don't think he was ever coming here.

I think there's 3 types of hiring processes:
1. Coach has a friend or former contact prearranged. It's baked and the hire happens fast. Clearly was not the case ever in this scenario.
2. High profile hire, you move quick as they aren't on street long. Durkin and Gibbs.
3. You open it up to the long list of types SD mentions above. They are unproven so you got to screen carefully. It's a move up from them so no hasty decisions.

While it sounds like we had to move from 2 to 3, I fail to see how this is the failure described By Sinratz " if you are going to fire a guy you need a plan to replace him".

I just happen to think the plan was 2 and then 3. You don't want him to fire Baer cuz he didn't have a buddy ready to step in or an instant upgrade pre-committed? Not feasible.

Thats where MacIntyre messed up. Look at the USC search from last year-Sure, it could have been Sarkisian all along (a #1), but Chris Petersen's name was one of the first to pop up there. You want to have a #3 done in case you can't get #2

Michigan's athletic department made @$150 million last year (#4 in NCAA). Michigan can afford $5 million. Hell, Michigan could probably afford $10 million.

CU can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That being said, I don't think RG walks on water either. He's still a first time AD. He gets a lot of mileage from being around in the late 80s and having a football background.
No, he gets a lot of mileage because he got the IPF off the ground in less than a year after he was hired.

Rep this-MacIntyre had no plan B here. There was nothing wrong with throwing a truckload of cash at Durkin and hoping Michigan wouldn't call, or Clancy Pendergast (I suppose that could still happen, but I doubt it based on what footballscoop said), or fantasizing about hiring away some assistant from the Seahawks. As far as Gibbs, I don't think that was ever going to happen-From what I read, he likes Texas, and I think working for a coach in Kingsbury who will pretty much leave you alone as a DC had to be somewhat attractive. Sure, White Rabbit could be right, and MM could not want to hire Todd Orlando for whatever reason, but let's talk about Kevin Clune.

We all said it after the Hawaii game-Clune did a very good job with that defense. Remember that piece on the search that Ringo wrote in which he floated Clune's name? MM had expressed respect for Clune and the job he did at Hawaii. What concerns me most is that he was making 160k at Hawaii-we probably could have offered him less than what we were paying Baer and I bet he would have taken it. Instead, we got beat out for his services by.........Utah State? Really?
When did Mac interview Clune?

The concerned ABers here certainly appear to have a point regarding the lack of a backup plan, inability to explain why guys like Orlando and Clune were not in the mix when we could have surely gotten them, etc.

BUT, as SD has regularly pointed out, we don't know jack **** about what is going on behind the scenes. Maybe Mac looked at those guys and didn't want them. The only things that have been reported as that we struck out with Durkin (no surprise) and Gibbs (that totally sucked).

Noone seems to know anything about the search now so it seems a bit premature to call the search a failure and presume we are making a risky hire. I suspect it is taking this long precisely to mitigate the riskiness of the hire and ensure they get the guy that fits what HCMM is looking for.

This does not mean we will all be jumping up and down with joy when the announcement is made but other than criticize the length of the process and that we lost our top pick who was an alum to TT, we should probably hold off on criticizing a hire that apparently hasn't been made yet.

The concerned ABers here certainly appear to have a point regarding the lack of a backup plan, inability to explain why guys like Orlando and Clune were not in the mix when we could have surely gotten them, etc.

BUT, as SD has regularly pointed out, we don't know jack **** about what is going on behind the scenes. Maybe Mac looked at those guys and didn't want them. The only things that have been reported as that we struck out with Durkin (no surprise) and Gibbs (that totally sucked).

Noone seems to know anything about the search now so it seems a bit premature to call the search a failure and presume we are making a risky hire. I suspect it is taking this long precisely to mitigate the riskiness of the hire and ensure they get the guy that fits what HCMM is looking for.

This does not mean we will all be jumping up and down with joy when the announcement is made but other than criticize the length of the process and that we lost our top pick who was an alum to TT, we should probably hold off on criticizing a hire that apparently hasn't been made yet.
This deserves it's own thread.

My theory is that we're waiting on a bigger fish to accept. No reason to wait around this long. If we were hiring some position coach (Wazzu) we would have done it already

Is this post fact or pure conjecture? Seems more like the latter, unless you're "in the know".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back