What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
An NFL staffer? I highly doubt that, although it would explain why an announcement hasn't happened yet. There are other, more plausible explanations. However, I do find it hard to believe that not one qualified individual wants a job that comes with seniority, title and no less than half a million $$ a year. This whole process is just perplexing.

Gibbs, Pendergast, Orlando. Or hire somebody worthwhile like a 3 weeks ago so we could see that "recruiting bump" pretty much everyone was clamoring for. Too late now
Who do you want that is realistic at this point? You know we aren't getting any of those three, hence the reason I said you wouldn't be happy regardless of who the hire was at this point. Don't mean to be an ass, just thought that was a funny quote coming from you.

The odds of this happening seems close to nil, but imagine fast forwarding and seeing the Buffs end up with a current NFL staffer for DC, the teams kicking ass over the next few seasons, Mac getting hired by the NFL, and the whole staff leaving. That would be allsome.

hope they push spring ball back to allow time for the new staffers to prepare....not like we are getting an ncaab tourney bid anyway....

this search, from the outside looking in (and not just us crazies critiquing it but the media too), has been a cluster ****.

it has taken too long. it, thus far, hasn't delivered a result. any result, good, bad, or mediocre.

to break out of cycles of badness, you have to be bold, fast, and creative. i get that the AD was taken aback by the depths to which we have sunk. i understand. the answer then is to be even more aggressive-- offer more money, more years, more responsibility. sell the deal if you can't sell the state of the program.

we need a good hire here.

I made such a suggestion (5 year contract) and people laughed at me. I sort of agree that something super aggressive needs/needed to be done. Silly money in order get a super recruiter to come in and help fix the program. A long contract that guarantees him a safety net if MM is fired in 2 years.

Its clear that our current contract and dollar amount (and probably the health of the program overall) were not enough to get anyone, let alone a stud, across the finish line. The idea that MM can make himself DC and hire one or two position coaches does not signal to me that we are going to be better. In fact, our HC will be more distracted from the big picture instead of having his eye on it all the time.

But whatevs....

Last edited:
I made such a suggestion (5 year contract) and people laughed at me. I sort of agree that something super aggressive needs/needed to be done. Silly money in order get a super recruiter to come in and help fix the program. A long contract that guarantees him a safety net if MM is fired in 2 years.

Its clear that our current contract and dollar amount (and probably the health of the program overall) were not enough to get anyone, let alone a stud, across the finish line. The idea that MM can make himself DC and hire one or two position coaches does not signal to me that we are going to be better. In fact, our HC will be more distracted from the big picture instead of having his eye on it all the time.

But whatevs....

People laughed at you because CU is never going to do that.

CU only gave Baer a 3 year contract, and only paid him $250,000.00, with some additional "perks" (golf club membership, courtesy car, Nike apparel, etc.) to go with it.

CU isn't going to give a coach a 5 year contract (especially with the possibility that MacIntyre is gone in a year or two) and certainly isn't going to break the bank (they never have before, for any coach) to pay an assistant coach.

CU only gave Baer a 3 year contract, and only paid him $250,000.00, with some additional "perks" (golf club membership, courtesy car, Nike apparel, etc.) to go with it.

CU isn't going to give a coach a 5 year contract (especially with the possibility that MacIntyre is gone in a year or two) and certainly isn't going to break the bank (they never have before, for any coach) to pay an assistant coach.

So, let me ask you this: If you're Rick George and you've decided to handicap Mike MacIntyre (and the program in general) in this regard (above) how do you intend to attract a new coach thats an upgrade when the time comes? We've sent some pretty bad messages to the coaching world over the last decade. Sending one more doesn't telegraph that were serious about getting back to the Top 25.

Assuming your position is CU's and they are offering what Baer made (same money, same length) it appears CFB has seemingly and soundly rejected the offer.

You might as well fire Mike now. By further deferring success today how in god's name do you sell this program as serious big boy college football to the guy expected to clean up what will be 13 years of losing seasons????

Insanity is repeating whats not working and expecting a different outcome. I think if you plan on keeping Mike MacIntyre you'd better help him be successful. I say we take the Ohio State or Alabama or Oklahoma approach; go out and pay better than anyone else to get Meyer, Saban, or Stoops when the time comes.

Last edited:
I don't know how much overspending or aggressive spending would help CU right now. Not that it wouldn't be enticing at all, but you're still dealing with an unstable situation with MacIntyre and the talent situation here an unknown, if not a liability. Anybody that'd be worth overspending for is probably already doing well where they are, waiting for a head coaching opportunity.

Ultimate FAIL post

I don't know how much overspending or aggressive spending would help CU right now. Not that it wouldn't be enticing at all, but you're still dealing with an unstable situation with MacIntyre and the talent situation here an unknown, if not a liability. Anybody that'd be worth overspending for is probably already doing well where they are, waiting for a head coaching opportunity.

If you were that guy and I offered you a $100,000 raise to come to CU would you take it? $200,000? $350,000? Somewhere there is a dollar amount where you would take it.

If we were paying Baer $250,000 I would have to think there are some NFL position coaches that make that or more than that. I thought he was getting $400k to be DC.

Who do you want that is realistic at this point? You know we aren't getting any of those three, hence the reason I said you wouldn't be happy regardless of who the hire was at this point. Don't mean to be an ass, just thought that was a funny quote coming from you.

I don't know the options at this point. Most of the "obvious" candidates went elsewhere (Orlando and Clune chosing lesser jobs).

And unlike others my expectations don't change after we don't meet them. I would have been plenty happy with Pendergast or Gibbs (I even said so at the time). I suppose there are some options out there that would satisfy but we still dicked around and wasted an opportunity to land some better recruits

So, let me ask you this: If you're Rick George and you've decided to handicap Mike MacIntyre (and the program in general) in this regard (above) how do you intend to attract a new coach thats an upgrade when the time comes? We've sent some pretty bad messages to the coaching world over the last decade. Sending one more doesn't telegraph that were serious about getting back to the Top 25.

Assuming your position is CU's and they are offering what Baer made (same money, same length) it appears CFB has seemingly and soundly rejected the offer.

You might as well fire Mike now. By further deferring success today how in god's name do you sell this program as serious big boy college football to the guy expected to clean up what will be 13 years of losing seasons????

Insanity is repeating whats not working and expecting a different outcome. I think if you plan on keeping Mike MacIntyre you'd better help him be successful. I say we take the Ohio State or Alabama or Oklahoma approach; go out and pay better than anyone else to get Meyer, Saban, or Stoops when the time comes.

Who is going to foot the bill to pay for the "Ohio State" or "Alabama" or "Oklahoma" approach? Those are all Universities that place a tremendous value on the athletic department, and most specifically, the football program.

CU has shown the willingness to take baby steps in that regard - but I think you're kidding yourself if you ever expect CU to step up to the same pay-grade as the Ohio State's, Alabama's, etc. of the world. It's still an athletic department that only made $62 million last year - which was good enough for 10th in the PAC-12.

I can't imagine what 200k of Nike Gear looked like to Baer. Was it made out of pure gold? Was his company car a Ferrari?

If you were that guy and I offered you a $100,000 raise to come to CU would you take it? $200,000? $350,000? Somewhere there is a dollar amount where you would take it.

It depends, I'm thinking in terms of what a known, good coordinator at the P5 level is already getting paid. So CU's offering somewhere in the 500 grand range. Most good coordinators are already getting paid that. Like Dave Aranda at Wisconsin, he's getting 480 at Wisconsin.

You could say offer a guy like Aranda 750 plus to come here, but does he want to take a chance on MacIntyre, and unknown talent after he already had Wisconsin's defense kicking ass for the most part last year? I don't know how feasible that is for CU, and I don't even know if he'd come for that. And the unknown talent at CU is the big thing, because the new DC could be a wizard, and still not make it work, and then his reputation takes a hit.

It depends, I'm thinking in terms of what a known, good coordinator at the P5 level is already getting paid. So CU's offering somewhere in the 500 grand range. Most good coordinators are already getting paid that. Like Dave Aranda at Wisconsin, he's getting 480 at Wisconsin.

You could say offer a guy like Aranda 750 plus to come here, but does he want to take a chance on MacIntyre, and unknown talent after he already had Wisconsin's defense kicking ass for the most part last year? I don't know how feasible that is for CU, and I don't even know if he'd come for that. And the unknown talent at CU is the big thing, because the new DC could be a wizard, and still not make it work, and then his reputation takes a hit.

Not to mention - he knows exactly what he has at Wisconsin. He knows what he'll have for the next couple years at Wisconsin. He knows the conference, he knows the opposing offenses. If he has any motivations of getting a head coaching job somewhere - being successful is the best way to get that job.

Taking the Colorado job, even for a boatload of money (I'll entertain the idea that CU would actually pay an assistant coach $750,000 - although I am super skeptical) brings a lot of unknowns. No idea about the talent - other than what you've seen on film, and that isn't good. No idea about the other teams in the conference (unless it's a Pac-12 coach). No idea about the recruiting area (again, unless it's a Pac-12 coach). The coaching situation is tenuous, at best. The last head coach was fired after 2 years. The current head coach has only won 6 games in 2 years. There is a new AD in place who didn't hire him.

This leaves a potential DC with a lot of questions.

How did you come up with your initial number thst you were using to support your argument?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Articles online describe base salary of $250,000, plus supplemental money which includes club memberships, car, apparel, etc.

It's not really worth arguing - good for CU if they were paying Baer $450,000.00 in actual cash money.

Articles online describe base salary of $250,000, plus supplemental money which includes club memberships, car, apparel, etc.

It's not really worth arguing - good for CU if they were paying Baer $450,000.00 in actual cash money.
First result in google.

In one of his final acts as athletic director at Colorado last month, Mike Bohn completed a multi-year contract with defensive coordinator Kent Baer that will pay the veteran coach more than $450,000 annually.
Baer signed a three-year deal in late-May that the school released Monday with a base salary of $250,000 and supplemental salary of an additional $200,000. He is only the third CU assistant coach in history to be given a multi-year contract. Former offensive coordinators Eric Kiesau and Eric Bieniemy also had multi-year deals.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_23530363/football-cu-buffs-release-details-kent-baers-contract

That guy would so be worth double his salary. Aranda for 900k, get it done Mac.

math failz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back