What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Articles online describe base salary of $250,000, plus supplemental money which includes club memberships, car, apparel, etc.

It's not really worth arguing - good for CU if they were paying Baer $450,000.00 in actual cash money.
Link to articles that state his base salary of $250K?

I made such a suggestion (5 year contract) and people laughed at me. I sort of agree that something super aggressive needs/needed to be done. Silly money in order get a super recruiter to come in and help fix the program. A long contract that guarantees him a safety net if MM is fired in 2 years.

Its clear that our current contract and dollar amount (and probably the health of the program overall) were not enough to get anyone, let alone a stud, across the finish line. The idea that MM can make himself DC and hire one or two position coaches does not signal to me that we are going to be better. In fact, our HC will be more distracted from the big picture instead of having his eye on it all the time.

But whatevs....

You got laughed at because five years is a ridiculous contract to give to any assistant. Three years is a lot of stability for the right guy.

a three year deal, the title of "assistant head coach" along with the DC title, and a salary north of 750k, and i would be prepared to believe that we could land a big hire. i have a hard time understanding all the rejection if we are, in fact, prepared to offer a deal along these lines.

oh, and if we are "running the program like a business" under RG, then this is not a "laughable" offer-- it is what you do when you have a critical gap in your org chart that you need to fill with a heavy hitter. you overpay to get the right guy.

i will say the other component that we don't know about on the outside is "fit"-- fit is a hard thing to measure. it is possible that the big name guys whose names leaked were not good fits after discussions. gibbs, for example, is allegedly kind of a dick. now that wouldn't be the only criteria in measuring fit but it is possible that we are struggling to find the right guy for CU at this time. i don't think that's all there is to this, however, especially if we are willing to be bold on comp.

If I had hair......

That's the thing with radio silence -- all these assumptions and conjecture morph into fact. Of the first 10 names - only three were confirmed potential targets. Days later the hot list was shortened to those three names. Gibbs and Durkin were the two who were offered the job. Durkin was interviewed and in contact with CU multiple times. Harbaugh took the Michigan job, no more explanation needed. Gibbs threw a wrench into things. That was no question a WTF moment. There is some color to this that sounds like spin and probably is -- not my place to post it. Will come out later I am certain.

So we missed out on the top two targets and we get radio silence. Absolute lock down on details. This has then morphed into CFB has soundly rejected what we are selling, coaches are laughing at us, no one wants the job. I can't say definitively you guys are wrong. But sure seems like we keep heading down the rabbit hole in absence of any real information.

The most likely scenario from that point on - is they double backed and explored every possible direction. From MacIntyre taking coordinating and concentrating on two position coaches who are "dynamic" recruiters. To taking a young position coach who shares MacIntyre's thoughts on defending the spread. To kicking the tires of a successful P5 coordinator and offering a significant raise. To looking towards the NFL. To looking at non P5 DC's. Blah blah blah. We just don't know right now.

Totally understand how easy it is to go down the rabbit hole. This is frustrating as all ****. But that is all we really know for sure -- that its taking a long time.

What is done to sweeten the pot for a DC depends entirely on who you can get.

A justifiable complaint from several posters is that many coaches on the current staff got huge raises from their previous job. That raise didn't make any of them better coaches than they were previously and they may well have come here for less.

Pay some ridiculous amount and get a spectacular candidate and you look aggressive. Pay that same amount and bring in somebody no-name coach from small school USA and you just look stupid.

If I had hair......

That's the thing with radio silence -- all these assumptions and conjecture morph into fact. Of the first 10 names - only three were confirmed potential targets. Days later the hot list was shortened to those three names. Gibbs and Durkin were the two who were offered the job. Durkin was interviewed and in contact with CU multiple times. Harbaugh took the Michigan job, no more explanation needed. Gibbs threw a wrench into things. That was no question a WTF moment. There is some color to this that sounds like spin and probably is -- not my place to post it. Will come out later I am certain.

So we missed out on the top two targets and we get radio silence. Absolute lock down on details. This has then morphed into CFB has soundly rejected what we are selling, coaches are laughing at us, no one wants the job. I can't say definitively you guys are wrong. But sure seems like we keep heading down the rabbit hole in absence of any real information.

The most likely scenario from that point on - is they double backed and explored every possible direction. From MacIntyre taking coordinating and concentrating on two position coaches who are "dynamic" recruiters. To taking a young position coach who shares MacIntyre's thoughts on defending the spread. To kicking the tires of a successful P5 coordinator and offering a significant raise. To looking towards the NFL. To looking at non P5 DC's. Blah blah blah. We just don't know right now.

Totally understand how easy it is to go down the rabbit hole. This is frustrating as all ****. But that is all we really know for sure -- that its taking a long time.

And all of that is actually believable at the end of the day. Just get it done already, like end of the next week at the latest, no more bull****. We have spring practices starting in two weeks and we really need the two position coaching vacancies to be filled.

All I know is that I and other Buff fans have eagerly gone online every day for over a month to check for DC announcement news, futilely hoping our day will start like this...

The-Office.gif

... only to be left feeling like this...

NcGgW.gif

If I had hair......

SD I think all of what you're saying is right, but the issue I have with this process is if you're going to fire a guy, you need a plan to replace him. Was Mac's list too short which has left them reevaluating and going through a more thorough process when his first couple choices didn't work out, or was his list full of potential candidates, but is gaining no traction? I just don't see a scenario where this could be going according to any sort of reasonable plan.

The spin on this site if the guy is not a NFL guy is going to be glorious.

You joyously pointing out 'spin' so often is starting to become Tini-esque. Not saying it isn't true at all. I just know that, and don't need to see a post every day reminding me that people will spin things to meet what they want to see. This is a fan board, fan meaning fanatics, which is basically lunatics for something. So..yeah. Gonna happen.

Dc is already on board, literally. Anyone else notice Big Jim makes the scene right around when Baer was out?

You joyously pointing out 'spin' so often is starting to become Tini-esque. Not saying it isn't true at all. I just know that, and don't need to see a post every day reminding me that people will spin things to meet what they want to see. This is a fan board, fan meaning fanatics, which is basically lunatics for something. So..yeah. Gonna happen.

To be clear, I was talking about 2% of the posters on this site that will spin anything. I fully expect the vast majority of posters here to be pretty reasonable, no matter who the DC ends up being. And the haters will be fun to watch as well.

To be clear, I was talking about 2% of the posters on this site that will spin anything. I fully expect the vast majority of posters here to be pretty reasonable, no matter who the DC ends up being. And the haters will be fun to watch as well.
Even if it's big Jim?

Speaking in the third person? Well done.

All I know is that teenage girls sit there, wondering why the guy they thought liked them won't text back, or call them, and start obsessing over "Why? What did I do? WHY DOESN'T HE LIKE ME????" and just go off the deep end. Meanwhile, said boy ate a sandwich and feel asleep watching cartoons and has no clue.

And Allbuffs in this scenario did not just eat a sandwich.

All I know is that teenage girls sit there, wondering why the guy they thought liked them won't text back, or call them, and start obsessing over "Why? What did I do? WHY DOESN'T HE LIKE ME????" and just go off the deep end. Meanwhile, said boy ate a sandwich and feel asleep watching cartoons and has no clue.

And Allbuffs in this scenario did not just eat a sandwich.

Maybe we are the sandwich.

giphy.gif

I just don't see a scenario where this could be going according to any sort of reasonable plan.

I agree. Just as likely we have a HC who can't sell the job and a program that isn't attractive to anyone with options. Same issues with the garbage recruiting. We have sunken so low I cringe every time I see CU fan running attendance smack at CSU. Absolutely could have been one cluster **** after another.

I think there's 3 types of hiring processes:
1. Coach has a friend or former contact prearranged. It's baked and the hire happens fast. Clearly was not the case ever in this scenario.
2. High profile hire, you move quick as they aren't on street long. Durkin and Gibbs.
3. You open it up to the long list of types SD mentions above. They are unproven so you got to screen carefully. It's a move up from them so no hasty decisions.

While it sounds like we had to move from 2 to 3, I fail to see how this is the failure described By Sinratz " if you are going to fire a guy you need a plan to replace him".

I just happen to think the plan was 2 and then 3. You don't want him to fire Baer cuz he didn't have a buddy ready to step in or an instant upgrade pre-committed? Not feasible.

Last edited:
I agree. Just as likely we have a HC who can't sell the job and a program that isn't attractive to anyone with options. Same issues with the garbage recruiting. We have sunken so low I cringe every time I see CU fan running attendance smack at CSU. Absolutely could have been one cluster **** after another.

My thing is, why not Todd Orlando? He should've been our first call after Gibbs chose TT (actually, should've been a call long before he chose TT so we could get the backup plan going). I can wrap my head around losing a coach or recruit to TT, but surely if Orlando had our offer on the table we would've beat Houston? Mother****ing Houston?

idk, maybe Mac knows Orlando and doesn't care for him or wouldn't mesh, but ****. It's like whenever this program has a chance to do some real **** and change our fortunes, we step on our dicks and just go laterally or even backwards. Surely Baer sucks, but I figured we'd for sure be able to get a legit upgrade here, not a big question mark.

Not singling you out btw SD, I'm actually pretty with you on the hire at this point. Just get it done and get spring going.

As frustrating as this process has been, our hair's not on fire. We were in worse shape when MM came on board, and he had or would have shortly had lots of arguably better options. The program is not a pariah.

My thing is, why not Todd Orlando? He should've been our first call after Gibbs chose TT (actually, should've been a call long before he chose TT so we could get the backup plan going). I can wrap my head around losing a coach or recruit to TT, but surely if Orlando had our offer on the table we would've beat Houston? Mother****ing Houston?

idk, maybe Mac knows Orlando and doesn't care for him or wouldn't mesh, but ****. It's like whenever this program has a chance to do some real **** and change our fortunes, we step on our dicks and just go laterally or even backwards. Surely Baer sucks, but I figured we'd for sure be able to get a legit upgrade here, not a big question mark.

Not singling you out btw SD, I'm actually pretty with you on the hire at this point. Just get it done and get spring going.

Why Orlando? I posed him as an upgrade early in the process, but I've never met the man. Never talked to him. It's nonesensical to throw out names and claim failure because we let Houston have him. We don't know if he interviewed and sucked it. We don't know if he said no thanks up front, my wife wants a warm place. We don't know much.

We don't even know who's been contacted, discussed, etc. Maybe he's like Orlando? Maybe he's better? Maybe he's the next Orlando? Orlando went from Uconn to obscurity... The original list should never have gone public. It set the expectations.

Here is what I wanted.

1. Someone who had experience as a DC. I believe this season is very critical to CU Football (Another bad season and Rich George may decide to go another direction) and I don't think we can have a DC who is getting OJT. We cannot continue to get out coached after halftime.
2. Someone who has some recruiting chops (this is desperately needed on this staff).
3. Someone who knows how to motivate players and get that extra 5 % out of them.

A candidate who can get two out of three of those would be fine with me. I think Gibbs could hit #1 and #3. Do not know the other candidates background that well. Seto can get #2 and #3 and has a good part of #1. If we end up with a DC who only hits one of those then I will be disappointed.

Why Orlando? I posed him as an upgrade early in the process, but I've never met the man. Never talked to him. It's nonesensical to throw out names and claim failure because we let Houston have him. We don't know if he interviewed and sucked it. We don't know if he said no thanks up front, my wife wants a warm place. We don't know much.

We don't even know who's been contacted, discussed, etc. Maybe he's like Orlando? Maybe he's better? Maybe he's the next Orlando? Orlando went from Uconn to obscurity... The original list should never have gone public. It set the expectations.

I agree with a lot of your take about the DC search to this point, but I've seen you make the bolded point on several occasions over the past several weeks. Just seems interesting that a purveyor of "inside" information would have such heartburn about the list of potential candidates being leaked.

I agree with a lot of your take about the DC search to this point, but I've seen you make the bolded point on several occasions over the past several weeks. Just seems interesting that a purveyor of "inside" information would have such heartburn about the list of potential candidates being leaked.

Easy way to blame RG and deflect blame from MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back