What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we all TRULY BELIEVE our next DC is coaching in the Super Bowl? Take off the Black and Gold glasses and REALLY LOOK at who we are, the career path we offer and where we rank in the football universe (college and pro). I love this program dearly, but this is not a great destination for a coach these days.

Can't you just let everyone enjoy the fantasy before reality punches us in the face again?

What scares me even more is HCMM might have started looking for a new dc after our last game and may be 2 months into the search.

What scares me even more is HCMM might have started looking for a new dc after our last game and may be 2 months into the search.

That's what I assume the timeline is. Patr was saying we were getting rid of some coaches like the Monday after the Utah game. Just took him and LaRussa a couple of weeks to find the UNLV jobs.

I'm glad Mac is thorough and all, but it's pretty hard to say that this went well with a straight face at this point.

That's what I assume the timeline is. Patr was saying we were getting rid of some coaches like the Monday after the Utah game. Just took him and LaRussa a couple of weeks to find the UNLV jobs.

I'm glad Mac is thorough and all, but it's pretty hard to say that this went well with a straight face at this point.

Heard the entirety of the footballscoop bit from Sunday, and I know some of it wound up here, but not sure if all of it did. Heres a summary:

-MM might be waiting on Clancy Pendergast (this did make it up here).....Pendergast wants an NFL gig, and USC is paying him through next year. He'll get back in the game with the right situation, and Scott Roussel doesn't think he thinks this role is it.
-Roussel said he thinks this has to be a current Pac-12 assistant (probably a big part of where the Chris Ball chatter came from).

More food for thought.....Morgan Scalley (Utah safeties coach/recruiting coordinator). Young guy....was on the team that went 12-0 in '04. Been at Utah for seven years, and Roussel says he may get the DC title at Utah, but expect Whittingham to call the defense. Two reasons why I think this could work-Whittingham's situation is still unresolved......I thought I read he got an extension, but I think he still winds up somewhere else this time next year. This is the type of resume that makes the most sense-We could hire a guy like this and have MM call the defense next year before turning it over to him in 2016. Scalley has also been recognized as a recruiter multiple times by Rivals.

You know if the Packers didn't take a huge crap we would have had the answers on Seattle. I say doubtful it is Seto or Norton.

Unfortunately if it is a Pac12 guy, if he is under contract perhaps his head coach is requiring he finish out the recruiting cycle and be a good actor and salesman. That seems like a Todd Graham sort of thing right? We will find out our DC by the day after national signing day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it Seto or Norton? Probably not. It creates a very convenient excuse as to why it has taken this long, but when you consider the situation both of those guys have in Seattle and what they'd be coming into at CU, it makes it highly unlikely.

The most likely scenario is that MM is being extremely thorough as he knows he has to get this hire right or his tenure in Boulder could be over sooner than he'd like. He has to sift through 11 other teams' position assistants (assuming he's keeping the search to the Pac 12) and get a list of guys that are not only qualified but are actually interested in the job. Then he needs to compare resumes, conduct interviews, discuss philosophies, game day roles, etc. and conduct more interviews with "finalists". Definitely a process that could take 2-3 weeks, when some of that time is spent recruiting.

I just miss the days when we all thought the delay was due to the holidays...

Is it Seto or Norton? Probably not. It creates a very convenient excuse as to why it has taken this long, but when you consider the situation both of those guys have in Seattle and what they'd be coming into at CU, it makes it highly unlikely.

The most likely scenario is that MM is being extremely thorough as he knows he has to get this hire right or his tenure in Boulder could be over sooner than he'd like. He has to sift through 11 other teams' position assistants (assuming he's keeping the search to the Pac 12) and get a list of guys that are not only qualified but are actually interested in the job. Then he needs to compare resumes, conduct interviews, discuss philosophies, game day roles, etc. and conduct more interviews with "finalists". Definitely a process that could take 2-3 weeks, when some of that time is spent recruiting.

I just miss the days when we all thought the delay was due to the holidays...

Both those guys said no. So, were they even interested to begin with?

Both said no? How do you know they were even contacted? The only part we know with the search is Gibbs. Football scoop doesn't have a clue if they think we are waiting on Pendergast, unless something totally changed when it went radio silent. He was not offered.

Outside that, we only have someone claiming someone in dal ward says CU is getting turned down and there is no interest. You could get the straight shot from different people all over that building and get a different answer. This thing is on total lock down.

From phone

Seto and Norton may be wishful thinking; but, how is MMac conducting a thorough search, with multiple interviews and there are no leaks at all. He can shut down leaks from CU side; but, wouldn't at least one of the other schools or teams slip up and let out some info?
the total silence make me think we have our guy. Just guessing though.

The screw-up happened with the initial short list, whatever that was, it wasn't good enough. You need to be pretty damn sure of who you can get with an offer. Sounds like they identified some top candidates but overestimated their ability to land them, like Gibbs and Durkin. Gibbs was kind of a surprise I guess, but Durkin should not have been.

Last edited:
Do we all TRULY BELIEVE our next DC is coaching in the Super Bowl? Take off the Black and Gold glasses and REALLY LOOK at who we are, the career path we offer and where we rank in the football universe (college and pro). I love this program dearly, but this is not a great destination for a coach these days.

No, and the silence creates great cover.

The Occam's razor approach would say that we have our guy, but that we are waiting on something to announce it. It is the simplest explanation for there being absolutely no leaks anywhere. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, if MM is and has been interviewing a ton of candidates, something would have leaked somewhere - given the amount of time and sheer number of people that would know something, something would have come out about at least one candidate.

Back to the simplest explanation, that they are waiting on something before the announcement. What that something is, who knows? Could be the Super Bowl, but it also could be NSD. NSD makes sense if it's someone already under contract somewhere else, and they agreed to waive the buy out if we waited until after NSD to make the announcement. It also could be something really weird, like a divorce, child custody or weird tax liabilities.

Anyway, back to Occam's razor. The absolutely simplest explanation for no news of course is that MM has interviewed no one, and that we're going to leave both positions open for the duration, which is of course absurd. The next simplest is that the deal is done, and only half a dozen people know about it, and they're keeping their mouths shut. After that, there's just too many people and too much time for there to be no news at all from anywhere.

I think it's more likely that we have a few guys we like, have spoken to, but we have to wait for the rest of the dominoes to fall to see if we are those guys' best option.

Kent Baer was announced as DC at UNLV on Monday Dec 22nd. Its pretty likely that he informed MM that he was interviewing at least a week before (say, Mon Dec 15). So, MM and RG were aware they could lose his DC 43 days ago and knew officially around 36 days ago.

Kent Baer was announced as DC at UNLV on Monday Dec 22nd. Its pretty likely that he informed MM that he was interviewing at least a week before (say, Mon Dec 15). So, MM and RG were aware they could lose his DC 43 days ago and knew officially around 36 days ago.

They knew before this. There was no way he was going to be the DC next year.

They knew before this. There was no way he was going to be the DC next year.

yea miami, sheesh, make your point better :lol:. I agree with oneal btw.

The Occam's razor approach would say that we have our guy, but that we are waiting on something to announce it. It is the simplest explanation for there being absolutely no leaks anywhere. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, if MM is and has been interviewing a ton of candidates, something would have leaked somewhere - given the amount of time and sheer number of people that would know something, something would have come out about at least one candidate.

Back to the simplest explanation, that they are waiting on something before the announcement. What that something is, who knows? Could be the Super Bowl, but it also could be NSD. NSD makes sense if it's someone already under contract somewhere else, and they agreed to waive the buy out if we waited until after NSD to make the announcement. It also could be something really weird, like a divorce, child custody or weird tax liabilities.

Anyway, back to Occam's razor. The absolutely simplest explanation for no news of course is that MM has interviewed no one, and that we're going to leave both positions open for the duration, which is of course absurd. The next simplest is that the deal is done, and only half a dozen people know about it, and they're keeping their mouths shut. After that, there's just too many people and too much time for there to be no news at all from anywhere.

I disagree. I think the simplest explanation is that we whiffed on our A-list, and were not prepared with a B-list.

Have no reason to believe its going to be a NFL guy and really couldn't give a **** less where he's from.

FTR, I do not care where he is from either. But the I think the idea it HAS to take this long is a stretch. Most fans would have been pissed if they had known back on Dec. 22nd that it was going to take this long.

If you are going to use Occam's razor then why discount your "absolutely simplest" explanation? Also, throwing really weird things into your simplest explanation makes it much less simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back