What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dec 18-19 Conference Championships and other games

Not that I know who should be the 4th team in the playoff, but I feel like already having lost by 20+ to one of the teams already in the playoff should be a disqualifier.

Anyone who watched the first Clemson/ND game knew that Clemson would destroy ND if they were healthy the second time, and no sane person thinks A&M won't get rolled by Alabama again.

Maybe just give Cincinnati the spot. They deserve it just as much as anyone, and yeah, they're going to get rolled by Bama, but so is whoever else you put in that spot.

Last edited:
Not that I know who should be the 4th team in the playoff, but I feel like already having lost by 20+ to one of the teams already in the playoff should be a disqualifier.

Anyone who watched the first Clemson/ND game knew that Clemson would destroy ND if they were healthy the second time, and no sane person thinks A&M won't get rolled by Alabama again.

Maybe just give Cincinnati the spot. They deserve it just as much as anyone, and yeah, they're going to get rolled by Bama, but so is whoever else you put in that spot.
I really don't think there is a 4th ranked team this year. Its really just Bama and Clemson

Sure, but who doesn't like watching the domers get destroyed in consecutive games? I bet the ND players' families sue Kelly for forcing them to attend the ritual sacrifice.

Would have been interesting to see ASU and Utah over a full season. ASU looks primed for a run at the conference championship next season.
Sure seems that way. Utah will be good new QB) and USC will be there.

Can CU beat one of those three next year and hold serve against AZ and UCLA?

Just like pretty much every other year recently.

Frankly, as soon as we got to a playoff, we entered into a period where every season would have been just fine under the old rules.

Yea, we're having trouble finding a 4th team that is worthy of being in the playoff yet there's a big push to expand it to 8. This would only result in quarterfinal blowouts in a regular basis.

Sure seems that way. Utah will be good new QB) and USC will be there.

Can CU beat one of those three next year and hold serve against AZ and UCLA?

A lot to be sorted out. USC may have major DL issues.

Overall, should be several chances for the Buffs to win some upsets at home.

Yea, we're having trouble finding a 4th team that is worthy of being in the playoff yet there's a big push to expand it to 8. This would only result in quarterfinal blowouts in a regular basis.
Maybe initially but when you open it up to more teams, it makes recruits believe they can go to non-Bama/Clemson programs and still have a chance to win a natty.

It’s essentially the NFL vs NBA model w/r/t free agency. NFL free agents mostly go wherever the money is greater because you can win a championship in Green Bay, Wisconsin or Denver, CO, or Nashville, TN, etc. Only a couple teams in the NBA are really in contention each year and it’s a self perpetuating cycle.

Klatt talked about this the other day. He also said he thinks the G5 programs should create their own playoff/national championship, like FCS does, which would attract better recruits, increase the quality of play, and really help the G5 programs financially.

Looks like Buffs to the Alamo. Every other PAC-12 team is either below .500 or has opted out. Only two Pac12 teams in bowls. Although, I generally support the players who opted their teams out from playing, it is yet more terrible optics for the league. If you want to be one of the conference big boys, you have to meet your commitments. I don't really blame the players, as the focus is better on the earlier league decisions that had them start later or just the lack of conference leadership that has exacerbated this cluster season. It seems at each step the PAC shoots itself in the foot.

Let's Fire Larry Scott and get new PAC12 leadership across the board, but lets be realistic and keep Merton Hanks.

One of the things that has always appealed to me about the college game is that the champion can make the argument that they were the best team that year, proven over the entire year.

The larger the pool is in a playoff the more likely it is that the best team has a bad day or an untimely injury and get knocked out by a team that was not as good over the year but got hot and the end and/or benefitted from a lucky play or a favorable match-up.

You can sometimes make the argument that a team with one loss against a tougher schedule is better than a team with zero losses against a weak schedule or that two undefeated teams (or one loss teams) from different conferences should have the chance to prove it on the field against each other.

The idea that there are five teams much less eight in the nation with an argument for being the best over the entire season is simply garbage.

Going to eight would result in some blowouts. It would also result in some years where the truly best team gets knocked out because of one bad day and eventually we would have a case where some team that barely slid in would get hot and lucky and take home the trophy. No thanks.

Looks like Buffs to the Alamo. Every other PAC-12 team is either below .500 or has opted out. Only two Pac12 teams in bowls. Although, I generally support the players who opted their teams out from playing, it is yet more terrible optics for the league. If you want to be one of the conference big boys, you have to meet your commitments. I don't really blame the players, as the focus is better on the earlier league decisions that had them start later or just the lack of conference leadership that has exacerbated this cluster season. It seems at each step the PAC shoots itself in the foot.

Let's Fire Larry Scott and get new PAC12 leadership across the board, but lets be realistic and keep Merton Hanks.

The same people who cry about too many bowl games will suddenly care about not enough Pac-12 teams playing. Optics my ass.

I just don’t get the PAC teams opting out. You’ve been playing for two months. I guess it’s all just a business now. Players don’t love playing football. The SEC media of course all over it. Maybe they have a point-some schools don’t want football teams anymore so don’t have one.

****braska opts out rather then prepare for Army and go to the Independence Bowl. Man I was eying whatever that under would have been. I would have taken it at 20 😂
What, a Scott Frost team with zero discipline and little motivation doesn't want to play Army. Come on. Army doesn't have a bunch of four star recruits or the "pride and tradition" of a Nebraska (actually they do but it was further back in time. Since none of the players were alive when either team was contending for anything it is just as relevant but the fusker fans won't believe it.)

I would have loved to see Army roll up 400-500 yards on the blackskirts running basically the offense that the fusker fans think they should be running. Meanwhile the Army defense which sees option in practice every week and which excels in the discipline and assignment aspects of the game would absolutely stifle anything Martinez/McCaffrey tried to do and force them into trying to be a passing team, with the resulting 3 and outs with some INTs mixed in for fun.

The final may not have been 62-36 but this had the potential to be one of the more embarrassing losses for the corn to endure in recent years, and embarrassing losses haven't been rare for them.

Army by at least 21 and only because the Army staff would make sure to get playing time for their entire roster while keeping the offense simple after the outcome was not in question.

The same people who cry about too many bowl games will suddenly care about not enough Pac-12 teams playing. Optics my ass.
I am one of those who really enjoys the bowls including some of the minor bowls and seeing teams who didn't win their conference but who jumped up and had a good season get a reward.

That said if a quarter of the bowls went away very few people would miss them. The idea of two 6-6 teams (who have 3 of those wins against lower level or lousy OOC teams) playing for a bowl "championship" is ridiculous.

A lot of the lower end bowls nobody outside of the schools involved even pays attention to and the payouts are small enough that the teams participating actually lose money going.

Back