What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dec 18-19 Conference Championships and other games

I just don’t get the PAC teams opting out. You’ve been playing for two months. I guess it’s all just a business now. Players don’t love playing football. The SEC media of course all over it. Maybe they have a point-some schools don’t want football teams anymore so don’t have one.

They want to be home with their families. Why would anyone bash that decision?

Frankly, the SEC sending terrible teams to bowl games "just because" should be called out a lot more. But you know, double standards and all.

I hear ya. Sometimes in life with great reward we have to do things we dont want to do. All due respect but sometimes you act like they don’t have 4 free meals a day, fly private jet, aren’t accruing 60k in college debt etc. It’s playing in a bowl game. Not going to fight in Afghanistan.

I just don’t get the PAC teams opting out. You’ve been playing for two months. I guess it’s all just a business now. Players don’t love playing football. The SEC media of course all over it. Maybe they have a point-some schools don’t want football teams anymore so don’t have one.

Whatever. Some schools want to have football programs, other schools want to have a minor league football league loosely affiliated with the university and built on slave labor.

You don’t get it? Says lots.

I have to wonder if CFB continuing to consolidate power and money back east is wise for the sports. People cry about the Pac12, but it is the only major conference that covers the footprint of half the country, including recruiting rich California.

Continuing to unbalance the money and marketing towards the southeast in particular is just going to accelerate the sport into 'regional' status.... which doesn't seem wise to me.

Frankly, the SEC sending terrible teams to bowl games "just because" should be called out a lot more. But you know, double standards and all.
If most of the players didn't love the game they wouldn't be there to start with, competition for spots with major college programs is tough and the sacrifices made to play the game are great.

This has been a tough year for the the players. Lots of isolation, giving up normal team activities and the normal college activities.

Going to a bowl just adds to this because this year most of the friends and family would not even be able to safely travel to the bowl game to see them play.

Fully respect teams not wanting to go this year.

You've got a point-but we all knew this bowl season would be somewhat of a farce. Playing Texas is a great opportunity for us.

I have to wonder if CFB continuing to consolidate power and money back east is wise for the sports. People cry about the Pac12, but it is the only major conference that covers the footprint of half the country, including recruiting rich California.

Continuing to unbalance the money and marketing towards the southeast in particular is just going to accelerate the sport into 'regional' status.... which doesn't seem wise to me.

While California is still talent rich, mostly by sheer population alone, it’s talent pool is shrinking. High school football participation is down about 10% in California over the last five years and the trend seems to be accelerating, especially in the suburban and private schools. This is a much faster decline than elsewhere in the country, although the northeast is also exiting the sport in a similar fashion.

I see the popularity of all sports waning, as TV viewership becomes more fractured. Most kids consume “tv” in such a different way, and I hardly expect most to pay up for expensive premium pay sports channels now that cable is on its way out.

Especially when the main region doesn’t include the two biggest markets in the country.

While California is still talent rich, mostly by sheer population alone, it’s talent pool is shrinking. High school football participation is down about 10% in California over the last five years and the trend seems to be accelerating, especially in the suburban and private schools. This is a much faster decline than elsewhere in the country, although the northeast is also exiting the sport in a similar fashion.

I see the popularity of all sports waning, as TV viewership becomes more fractured. Most kids consume “tv” in such a different way, and I hardly expect most to pay up for expensive premium pay sports channels now that cable is on its way out.

I discussed this in another thread, there is a double whammy in CA, as the State Legislature severely limited the amount of contact in practice. Something like 2 sessions of 45 mins/each. It is safer, but for non-skill positions players are not developing as much in CA.

Same year, same expectations for ASU to take the next step and the definitely won’t.

I always worry about ASU, and they seem to always underachieve. I think Herm is doing a great job recruiting, but they drop a couple of games every year that make you say WTF.

I always worry about ASU, and they seem to always underachieve. I think Herm is doing a great job recruiting, but they drop a couple of games every year that make you say WTF.
They didn’t close well in recruiting this year surprisingly

They didn’t close well in recruiting this year surprisingly

I'm not sure there's much you can say about this recruiting class for anybody. This is (hopefully) a one-off year that no one will ever have to recruit through ever again. Some schools seemed to handle better than others. Maybe ASU didn't, I don't know.

Incidentally, I'm hoping we look back at this class and say that the combination of the late start KD had and covid kneecapped us and that we were able to move forward much stronger later. :confused:

The SEC isn't sending teams anywhere, those teams chose to go to bowl games. The fact that teams who had subpar seasons are fighting to go to bowl games just shows the mentality of teams towards football. Meanwhile these Pac12 teams who are opting shows the general apathy towards football in that conference. And I realize that Washington's reason is Covid related

The SEC isn't sending teams anywhere, those teams chose to go to bowl games. The fact that teams who had subpar seasons are fighting to go to bowl games just shows the mentality of teams towards football. Meanwhile these Pac12 teams who are opting shows the general apathy towards football in that conference. And I realize that Washington's reason is Covid related

:ROFLMAO:

If oregon wins this?really ****ed up how they back in over washington and win the Pac title
UW played ZERO road games, Oregon played 4, and the defacto P12 North championship tilt was cancelled because of Washington. The whole situation is messed up ANY way it's sliced.

You can laugh but the Pac12 continues to land somewhere between a laughingstock and off the radar when it comes to national coverage, therefore further degrading the image of the conference.

From Wilner regarding today's lengthy ESPN CFB coverage

The ACC, Big Ten and SEC dominated the discussion, thanks to their CFP participants (Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Alabama).

The Big 12 was mentioned when Oklahoma entered the discussion, courtesy of lead analyst Kirk Herbstreit.

The American Conference was heavily involved in the opening segment, thanks to Cincinnati’s hotly-debated position outside the top four.

The Sun Belt (Coastal Carolina) and Mountain West (San Jose State) were acknowledged.

The Pac-12?

Not a single utterance.

Not until the release of the CFP rankings and New Year’s Six matchups at 11:30 a.m. was the conference’s existence acknowledged.

And it wasn’t in flattering fashion.

As Oregon’s matchup against Iowa State in the Fiesta Bowl appeared on the screen, ESPN host Rece Davis introduced the Ducks and then offered a long pause before a lukewarm description of them as “the Pac-12 champions, you know.”

His colleagues, including Herbstreit, perhaps the most influential voice in the sport, all burst out laughing.

“Wow, you sold that one, Rece,’’ Herbstreit said amid the cackling.

“Well, I mean, there are a lot of champions there,” Davis responded. “There’s the division champion: Washington finished ahead of them. USC won the South.”

And so it goes for the Pac-12.

Its first mention on ESPN’s most prominent studio show of the season — two-and-a-half hours into the festivities — was accompanied by a moment of mockery.

And that’s not the only example of the Pac-12’s position within the current college football machinery.

It has no teams in the semifinals.

It won’t have a finalist for the Heisman Trophy.

It doesn’t have a finalist for the Broyles Award, which is given to the top assistant coach.

It only has two bowl teams after five eligible teams declined bids (USC, Washington, Stanford, Utah and Arizona State).

From a national perspective, there is little evidence the Pac-12 season even existed.

That’s largely a result of the decision by the presidents and chancellors to postpone the season, then start in early November — two weeks later than the Big Ten and Mountain West.

They wanted to be safe; they wanted access to daily testing; they had state restrictions to navigate; they wanted a unified start on Nov. 7, even though many teams could have played on Oct. 31.

With their actions, the presidents told the college football world that all the trappings typically valued — playoff appearances, bowl bids, individual awards, a place in the narrative — simply weren’t important.

That wasn’t right or wrong. It was just different, a response to unique conditions and motivations on the campuses and in the communities.

But none of that matters to the rest of the country — to the college football media machine, to recruits and fans, to the teams and executives.

College football has churned through the pandemic, for better or worse, with zero interest in the Pac-12’s well being or status as a power conference.

You can laugh but the Pac12 continues to land somewhere between a laughingstock and off the radar when it comes to national coverage, therefore further degrading the image of the conference.

From Wilner regarding today's lengthy ESPN CFB coverage

I am not discounting the Pac-12 has issues, but is it really that hard to say losing teams in bowls is really dumb? That should be a non-controversial opinion, yet you are spinning it as a positive for the SEC. Come on.

A 2-8 team and two 3-7 teams = big time football? Or just silliness excused "BECAUSE SEC!!!!!"?

Last edited:
Back