What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Denver Post Editorial: Time to fire Mike Bohn

I tried to make a reasonable response, I expect to be downvoted into oblivion
Great comment there dio.

They corrected the former UC coach's name. So I guess they do read the comments.

Last edited:
Why does everyone keep saying the search was botched? Jones got a Tennessee offer and bailed... Why is that a botch job by Bohn?

What if Bohn is smarter than us? I've been skeptical of his leadership but as I hear/read all the drive-by hacks take swipes, most recently this DP editorial, I've become more interested in actually dissecting the moves he's made.

Firing Embree= not popular but right football & business decision (DP ed agreed last week).

"Disasterous Press Conference" = Bohn was very transparent, allowed JE to speak, allowed current & former players to attend, took on all questions and stood up tall in the firing line. When was last time you saw this by a leader? Should he have controlled it, limited who attended, read from a PR consultant-paid script? He gave the Buff family a chance to be part of the closure, they hung themselves by their response, but it was healthy for them b/c he allowed it. CU may look like amatures b/c of the presser but I think it was doing right by the closer Buff circle.

"Botching BJ hire" = Really? This is all on Bohn? My gut is that BJ was leveraging CU, would have taken it but HE drew out the process when caught wind higher profile opportunities where coming up in next 24-48 hrs. Bohn showed his cards w/ advertised 2.3M/yr + upgrades but why hide those facts? Now other coach candidates know what's on the table and may be attracted away from their current gigs.

Agree that MB's public persona comes across like a politician but my gut tells me there is MUCH more (relevant) behind the scenes work going on and this is how it should be. The local radio shows act like the reality of the search and negotiations is based on the information they have. Like Plati told Klatt, 'You know know less than 10% of what's really going on behind the scenes so shut-up and stop hurting the situation....' (paraphrasing)

What if Bohn is smarter than us? I've been skeptical of his leadership but as I hear/read all the drive-by hacks take swipes, most recently this DP editorial, I've become more interested in actually dissecting the moves he's made.

Firing Embree= not popular but right football & business decision (DP ed agreed last week).

"Disasterous Press Conference" = Bohn was very transparent, allowed JE to speak, allowed current & former players to attend, took on all questions and stood up tall in the firing line. When was last time you saw this by a leader? Should he have controlled it, limited who attended, read from a PR consultant-paid script? He gave the Buff family a chance to be part of the closure, they hung themselves by their response, but it was healthy for them b/c he allowed it. CU may look like amatures b/c of the presser but I think it was doing right by the closer Buff circle.

"Botching BJ hire" = Really? This is all on Bohn? My gut is that BJ was leveraging CU, would have taken it but HE drew out the process when caught wind higher profile opportunities where coming up in next 24-48 hrs. Bohn showed his cards w/ advertised 2.3M/yr + upgrades but why hide those facts? Now other coach candidates know what's on the table and may be attracted away from their current gigs.

Agree that MB's public persona comes across like a politician but my gut tells me there is MUCH more (relevant) behind the scenes work going on and this is how it should be. The local radio shows act like the reality of the search and negotiations is based on the information they have. Like Plati told Klatt, 'You know know less than 10% of what's really going on behind the scenes so shut-up and stop hurting the situation....' (paraphrasing)
Pretty good post. I think Bohn is okay as I don't have all the information. Things I could fault him for, like letting the FB get so far behind, may or may not be on him. He may have pushed it internally but BB and DiS nixed it. I don't know. Maybe he's been lobbying for years for facilities and getting real as far as coaches pay etc. Kinda seems that way since there is now movement.

I am impressed with the other parts of the athletic department...MBB, WBB, new practice facility, CMO hire etc.

I just don't know enough to be to negative or positive, so I'm gonna support him cuz he's the guy and I do think he wants the best for CU.

So lemme get this straight: first the Denver Post jumps the gun and runs with a story about Butch Jones being the new CU coach. Second, Butch Jones turns down the CU job and the Post looks stupid for not doing their homework. Third, the Post comes out with an editorial saying that Mike Bohn should be fired for the Butch Jones 'fiasco'.

Sorry Post, I think you're looking to the wrong organization for heads to be rolling in.

The media around here is beyond comical. Radio, TV, Print... all a bunch of garbage. Only report on CU to paint us in a bad light.

LOL- I think Allbuffs might be the only people posting comments on the DPO right now. Flame on!

At least they actually seem to think CU football is relevant. Puts more pressure on Benson and Distephano to get off their asses and right this ship.

This smells of the DP trying to deflect attention away from their own in incompetence.

At least they actually seem to think CU football is relevant. Puts more pressure on Benson and Distephano to get off their asses and right this ship.

No doubt. These guys never thought bad football could reflect so poorly on the university.

Buffnik had a fantastic, short, concise rebuttal to this idea last night in chat. I really hope he comments to the online story.

Why does everyone keep saying the search was botched? Jones got a Tennessee offer and bailed... Why is that a botch job by Bohn?

Well according to the Post's logic its Bohn's fault that the Tenn job is better than the CU job. ****ing hilarious.

Does the Post know that there are countless examples of programs not getting their first choice for coaches? I have never seen an AD fired when the first choice rejects the job.

Because everything was public. Because Butch's agent thought he could leak info without consequences. Because, even though we dodged a bullet, our perception has been damaged (even more). Because we got publicly played. Because it was Plan A in the absence of a Plan B. And, because we wasted almost two weeks on one guy while other prospects got snatched up.

This. Sounds like they are trying to deflect their failure as a legitimate source of news (which was highly embarassing) onto Bohn. I especially love how they ignore the CU Football program year after year after year, but when they are all of the sudden involved with the shenanigans, then they want to take a strong stance for the "integrity" of the program.:rolling_eyes:

I'm not crazy about the guy, but as others have previously stated, he has a lot of positives going for him, and we are likely going to pull the trigger on huge facilities upgrades along with a new coach. I'm for giving Bohn this last hire.

Agree. 'All Broncos all the time' until disaster strikes and then they wade in with this garbage while ignoring things like past facilities improvements, the move to the Pac12, the Tad success, pending facilities, etc. it's tabloid journalism to get people to read. :lol:

The best part is that chump Woody got taken by Jones agent as much as Mike did when the plan all along was to use the media to find the highest bidder among Cinn, CU, Purdue, and Tenn. for Jones service. Oh well. That's life in the big city.

Despite notable successes on his watch, we said Bohn had botched two head football coaching hires and didn't deserve a fourth opportunity.

Buff4Life crowd narrative #4thdecision #Klatt #BigAL #CJ

No doubt. These guys never thought bad football could reflect so poorly on the university.

I agree with you both to a point, in that it makes Bruce and Phil think about pressure that can be brought on them due to a ****** football program.

But really, when it comes down to it, when does the Denver media not miss a chance to **** all over CU?

Positive news for CU is buried somewhere deep in the Post or ignored completely, while anything that reflects poorly on the University is splashed across the front pages. It's been that way for 20 years at least, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Don't favor searching for a new AD right now, but I'm beyond tired of Bohn. And stop telling me about the practice facility for basketball. Great. 99.9% of AD's come into a school and do at least one thing. That hardly makes Bohn "impressive". Bohn is just not a good AD. It's so painfully obvious. The excuses for Bohn know no bounds..

DP is on my **** list with their idiotic "scoop" on Jones. Their contributing to the issue like Klatt and company. But there is so much negative press and feelings around Bohn I'm close to saying just raze it to the ground and start over. The only thing keeping me from saying that is the facilities upgrade. If that is botched I will fly there and evict him myself.

This is Bohn's last chance. Benson and Phil are letting him run wild. If he botches this up, then he should be gone. But he has done a lot of good for the AD while also having to deal with post scandal restrictions and a meddling admin

Because everything was public. Because Butch's agent thought he could leak info without consequences. Because, even though we dodged a bullet, our perception has been damaged (even more). Because we got publicly played. Because it was Plan A in the absence of a Plan B. And, because we wasted almost two weeks on one guy while other prospects got snatched up.

Spot on. While beginning a process to hire a coach and immediately identifying you have one primary target to the general public is not smart negotiating. Identifying to the public that coordinators of major football programs need not apply was also unnecessarily limiting. Keep Bohn intact during remainder of this search (with help of external advisory) and finish this hire. Post football hire Bohn should pursue other interests. Utilize Tad, new hire, plus all of athletic dept in combination with external adviser to hire the correct person to drive athletics forward (in concert with CU administration). External adviser is whom ever it needs to be. There are minds available that handle these situations correctly which this has most assuredly not been. I am excited about CU football's future despite Butch gate and the **** we have all been through. This too shall pass!

The Denver Post is looking more and more like The Daily Planet! What an absolute defelction of duty! They jump out and tell the world Butch Jones will be the next coach only to be totally wrong and then they call it a fiasco??? THEY CAUSED IT TO BE A FIASCO!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WERE THE FIRST TO SAY IT WAS A DONE DEAL!!!!!!!!!! This is absurd, absolutely absurd. It would never have been anything if they didn't go public and claim he accepted the deal. The Post F'ed up and now they are embarrassed and trying to cover face.

I am very glad to see most of us in here are smart enough to see who the real clownfaces are. The editorial page jack wagons in Denver thats who! This really pisses me off.

Back around September, the Post ran basically the same editorial about the Rockies firing Dan O'Dowd. This seems to be their new schtick to get people to pay attention to them. Pick a point when an organization is down, run an editorial saying "fire XXXX (unpopular figure among fans)". If the Nuggets don't pick it up, expect something similar coming aimed at them (probably George Karl, since I'm not sure how many of the DP commenter class knows who Ujiri is....).

I guess this is what's left after journalism leaves the building....

Junction there are very baseball minds who think Dan O'Dowd should still have a job. The paper put its money where its mouth was and sold its holding of the Colorado Rockies. The Denver Post has more integrity than most.

Junction there are very baseball minds who think Dan O'Dowd should still have a job. The paper put its money where its mouth was and sold its holding of the Colorado Rockies. The Denver Post has more integrity than most.

I'm not defending O'Dowd. Just pointing out that the Post made basically the same move with the Rockies that they're making with CU now.

As for them selling their stake of the team, I'm guessing that was more about monetizing an asset to support their operations in a dying industry than it was some principled stand regarding management of the team.

Here's where I'm at:

Bohn had a model for building CU basketball and it has worked.

However, basketball is much less expensive to pull off. What's been spent there is about the same as what has been spent for football scoreboards, permanent lights for night games, and new turf for the practice bubble. The resources have not been there to do a "transformational" project for football like what was done for basketball (i.e., stadium upgrades, new practice facility, new meeting rooms, new offices, new training & rehab facilities, new locker room, etc.) along with the ability to attract a coach and staff through other resources.

What Bohn seems to have secured in football right now has put us on the cusp of implementing this basketball model. High-level donors are secured for facilities and the move he led to the Pac-12 is past the short-term revenue shortfall it caused and is now more than tripling previous conference revenues. This is putting CU in a position to announce a "transformational" football facilities plan while also paying a Top 20 compensation package for our head coach and assistants.

This is the absolute worst time to fire Bohn. Why jeopardize that? Why tell the guy that now that he's positioned us to move beyond the crippling financial issues in the AD that he is fired because of decisions he had to make because of those crippling financial issues?

Let the guy implement the plan that worked for basketball. If he fails, fire him. But to call for his firing now simply doesn't make any sense to me.

Back